General Mills Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

3.2

Design Thinking Consumer Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Plymouth, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

The first interview was a 30 minute phone interview. The last was a 3 hour interview where I was interviewed by 4 people, separately. Most of the questions were asking for examples of times you did a certain thing. There was a preliminary phone interview and personality test beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you...   1 Answer

Interview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

Started with a telephone interview with someone who was currently in similar role/department. STAR behavioral questions, be prepared with great examples and relate answers to skill sets/ responsibilities that you would have using in role. Same week got invite for in person. You will have to complete somewhat lengthy behavioral, personality and deductive reasoning tests prior to interview online.

Trip to Minneapolis, given option to fly in evening before or day of. Given schedule ahead of time of whom your interviewing with. Interviewed with 3 different leaders within the division, 45 mins a piece and asked situational behavioral questions (Expect 3-5 questions per person). Very relaxed and conversational setting. All interviewers were very professional but conveyed that they really were interested in getting to know me, what I could bring to the team and how Gen Mills could help me grow my career. Mini tour after it was over of building. Was one of the overall best interview experiences I've had in the industry when it comes to getting insight on the culture, people that they employ and what benefits and value GM can bring to your career.

Received offer a little over a week after interview.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Lansing, MI).

Interview

The first interview occurred the day after I spoke to General Mills recruiters at a career fair. The interview was roughly 30 minutes consisting of both technical and behavioral questions. Within a week I heard back and was invited for a second interview. Again, 30 minutes and a mix of technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• If a company's sales volume on a certain brand remained the same but the total revenue decreased what factors would you look at to determine the cause of revenue drop?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

Applied through campus career center, interview scheduled in the following days after an info session and networking events. Second round interview the next day. Mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a good fit for their company culture

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to conduct financial analysis using unknown inputs   Answer Question

Logistics Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

I got an interview through my university's career fair. The interview process consisted of one on-campus interview and three on-site interviews at their HQ in Minneapolis. All of the questions were standard behavioral stuff. The employees I met there seemed genuine and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to act on limited information.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I first met with the HR recruiter. When we began that actual interview process, it consisted of four 30 minute interviews; 1 with HR and 3 with Senior Finance Managers and Finance Directors. All interviews included behavior based questions with some hypothetical situational questions. The interviews were followed by a 30 minute coffee meeting with a Finance Manager that isn't labeled as an interview, but is more of a screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to lead a project.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make a decision with a short turnaround time.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
    • If you were asked if we should begin creating a new food product, what information would you need to know in order to make your decision?   Answer Question
    • What are some challenges that General Mills is facing in the cereal market?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very short. They asked me at the end of the interviews what I was currently getting paid, and what it would take for me to join General Mills. They ended up offering exactly what I had told them my minimum was. We negotiated beyond that and landed on a middle number.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and then emailed an HR manager about my interest in the position. About a week later I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager and sourcing director. We discussed my background and some behavioral questions. After another week I was invited to on-site final interview in Golden Valley. HR was very flexible in scheduling my interview and helped arrange flight and hotel stay. In the interim, I received links to two personality tests and one deductive reasoning test, which I had to complete before the on-site. These are not difficult, except that you are timed during the deductive reasoning (basic logic test -- don't panic.)

At the on-site, I first met with a sourcing director and then two sourcing managers. The questions were mainly behavioral with a mixture of sourcing technical skill questions. I then met with a current buyer in a more "informal" setting--we went to get coffee and discussed the role and GMI culture. He also took me on a quick campus tour, which was great. Afterwards, I interviewed with an HR associate, who also focused on behavioral questions. I then wrapped up with the HR Manager, who covered next steps with me. The following day I received an offer.

Everyone I met was great. They clearly cared about the position and were looking for both a role and culture fit, and I appreciated that a lot. It made the whole process more meaningful, and I was able to get a better idea of what I would be doing. HR was very helpful and communicative. Overall a great experience, although exhausting, as I was talking to people non-stop for about four hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to influence someone.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made an unpopular decision and what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to have a difficult conversation with someone.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager. What was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to learn something very quickly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me the exact minimum salary requirement I put on my application. I asked for a higher base salary, even backed it up with hard data and market trends, but they wouldn't budge on this. Still, their initial offer was a great package, so I accepted.

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was great! I was nice to be able to sit down with other people who are in the position you are applying for. Everyone at General Mills was super friendly and their Headquarters is amazing. The interview process itself is a little long, but overall, very manageable. I had 3 different interviews and a case study.

Records Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Quick turn around. With the exception of the receptionist, everyone was extremely warm and welcoming. All the panel questions were soft skills related. Vast majority of the people I saw were millennials which leads me to believe the company is innovative and collaborative.

QRO Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

First round interview on campus, second round interview was in Minneapolis. The first round was a 30 minute interview. The second round interview was half of a work day, filled with four back-to-back interviews followed by lunch.