General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

3.3

82 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online with an employee referral after finding job on Indeed. After getting contacted by HR I had a phone interview that was around 30 minutes. Communication with HR associates was sporadic and I received out of office emails from people that asked me to respond to schedule requests. I had to fill out my profile including job history for a second time, complete 2 personality tests and a logic test. The onsite interview process was great and took around 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• The logic test was very difficult and tricky. It is timed and you have about 2 minutes per question.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online in early June, and was contacted 1 week later by a recruiter. My 30-minute phone interview was scheduled for a week later with a Marketing Manager. It was very structured (walk through resume, 3-4 behavioral/situational questions, and some brief time at the end for any questions you may have). You must respond is STAR format (situation, task, action, result). It is important with CPG companies to focus on your action and result, and spend less time with your situation. Be concise.

1 week after my phone interview, I was contacted by another recruiter, who called to ask for my availability to interview in person. I chose the earliest date possible, which was 1 week later (to take place 4 weeks after my initial application). I was then sent a formal invitation to interview at WHQ and given tasks to complete before the interview. You are asked to complete an additional application directly with General Mills, which is very much the same as the online application form. You must also complete a Hogan Personality assessment, focusing on motives, values, and preferences. It is approximately 300 questions, as another reviewer stated, and can be competed quickly as long as you are answering truthfully about yourself. Additionally, you must take a CEB Deductive Reasoning assessment (ex: Dan, Sam, and Peter are standing in line. Dan is not behind Peter. Sam is last in line. Who is standing first in line?). In my opinion, this is the most challenging part, the questions will use verbal set-ups (some quite lengthy) as well as charts, and you must quickly come to a conclusion; the example I provided is extremely easy compared to the line of questioning you will be facing. You are given 20 minutes to complete 18 questions. I am not a strong test taker, as I am highly visual; I do well with patterned deductive reasoning tests, but verbal ones take time for me to map out. Have scratch paper available. If you are similar to me, I strongly suggest taking practice quizzes until you can comfortably answer these types of questions in 1 minute or less. Be prepared. Many CPG companies will not even consider your interview, no matter how stellar it may be, if you do not perform to their standards on these tests.

A couple of days prior to my interview, I was provided an itinerary. You will be greeted by a Recruiting Manager, who will walk you to your first "interview." If you are scheduled for an AM interview, the first 30 minutes involves grabbing a drink from Caribou and walking the building with a current Marketing Associate. Dive into questions about the role, remember, you want to make sure this position is the right fit for you. You can be candid with the MA but also remain focused on your task and treat it as an interview - you should put your best foot forward. I have read in other reviews that you will meet with 3-4 Senior Marketing Managers after your coffee host interview, however, I was only met with 2. Each interview is in the exact same 30-minute structured format as the phone interview. After my 2 interviews, I was then escorted to the front of the building by the Recruiting Manager, given a GM goodie bag, and told I would hear back in a week, and if not, then the front end of the following week.

After 2 weeks of silence (6 weeks since my initial application), I assumed I did not get selected, hearing nothing from HR. I took it upon myself to reach out with a brief and clear "check-in" e-mail, highlighting my continued interest in the company and inquiry into next steps, as the lack of response seemed lengthy for the timeline which was given to me. About an hour later, I received the standard rejection email.

Job seeking is a highly stressful time for candidates, and takes great preparation to be ready for an interview. I would give my experience as fully positive, if not for the lack of attention in getting back to me promptly. To be fair, I believe it is common practice for large companies to leave rejected candidates wondering, due to the high volume of applications they receive. They will vigorously pursue the candidates whom they choose, and others will quite probably be forgotten. Due to the quick rejection I received after my e-mail, I assume this was the case. However, in my personal experience with other large companies, I usually received an answer in no later than a week, negative or positive, so comparatively, it took General Mills more time. Do not lose patience though, and always be respectful in all of your correspondence. HR is working hard to get the right candidates in the door.

Interview Questions

• What is a brand that is doing well? What is a brand that is not doing well?   1 Answer
    • What is the most challenging analytical project you have worked on?   1 Answer
    • Tell me abut a time you were given a broad task and asked to come up with a solution.   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize tasks with multiple competing deadlines?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with or manage a multi-functional team.   Answer Question

Senior Skype Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

It was a very organized itinerary. With technical, HR, hiring manager, and a tour of the facility. I was very impressed with how it was setup and executed. It was 6 separate interviews and all the participants were on-time and engaged in the process.

Interview Questions

• Specific technical questions. And later leadership questions. I appreciated the variety.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screen and then in-person interview. Phone Screen was short maybe 10 minutes. In-person was longer maybe 45 minutes. Lots of situational questions and questions about your aptitude for the position.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing you like about this job and something you dislike   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

Interview

Initially had a brief 15 minute phone interview, the in person interview was long, approximately 4 hours. I met with 3 managers, 1 team member, 1 HR assistant, 1 team specific HR member and 1 IT HR manager. All interviews were in 30 minute blocks with the exception of 1 team member (1 hour) and the 1 HR assistant (15 minutes).

The HR manager questions could have and I would recommend, should be combined. All 3 asked predominately the same questions, each had 1 or 2 different questions. The opportunity to spend time with the team member was wonderful, I was taken on a tour of the Corporate Offices in Golden Valley, he answered questions I had regarding culture, career opportunities etc.

The interview portion with the team specific HR member was not very beneficial and again I would recommend removing that portion from the interview process as the HR manager provided a much clearer insight into HR related questions.

Overall a very positive experience, just a little too lengthy, which could easily be resolved.

Interview Questions

• Questions were generic PM related questions, some questions regarding Agile experience, have you worked with a difficult person etc.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minn City, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minn City, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

45 min phone, three to four behavioral online text, and an 3 and a half hour in person interview which included meeting several team memebers, HR, management, and a brief tour with a pier member.

Interview Questions

• Several network technical questions   1 Answer

MANUFACTURING and ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Horrid experience. Lost all interest in the company when I toured the plant. The environment was chaotic to say the least. Workers were packing pie dough as fast as they could into packaging.

The interview in Chanhassen was foolish. At no time did I feel like the interviewers actually cared about my situations. I feel it was a waste of time for both parties. Don't waste your time with this company.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

Intense for the level of role. Applying through the website was a mess due to the open ended questions. I did at work and was pulled away partway through; all my answers were lost so I had to go and redo them. Then came the phone screen with the hiring manager. 30 minutes so not that bad. Next was the personality test. Followed by values, motivations etc. inventory. Finally, the deductive reasoning test which is Sherlock quality questions - 18 of them to complete within 22 minutes. In-person interview was scheduled to begin at 7 and included meeting 3 people plus a 'case study'. The in-person was 4+ hours but hey, you get a goodie bag at the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a group through a challening situation.   Answer Question

Senior Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

I have been pleased with the process and the people thus far. My first interview was a phone interview with two managers. They were kind, informative and managed the time perfectly. I was contacted a few days later for in-person interviews on campus. I was sent an itinerary setting forth the times and the name and position of each interviewer. I was also sent a map of the campus and instructions for that morning which was helpful. I met with five people that morning which was a little intimidating; however, I felt it was an efficient and considerate approach to minimize additional visits during office hours. I felt at a bit of a disadvantage because I came down with a head cold the day before the interview. Considering I did have a cold, I still found the questions to be minimally stressful and actually, useful and appropriate. Overall the interview process must have been positive because I left wanting the position there even more than before any of the interviews and I was very interested from the start. I will expand on this review, if and when hired.

Interview Questions

• What was your most successful failure?   1 Answer

Associate Channel Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied on line and after a few weeks I received an email to set up a phone interview with a Sr. C&F Marketing Manager. A week later, I received an invitation for an interview at the Headquarters in Minneapolis. I was provided with an agenda and a map of the campus. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. My day started with a coffee meeting with a newly hired Associate Channel Marketing Manager. She was very kind and took the time to explain the process and learn more about me. After that, I had two interviews with two hiring managers and HR as well. I spend approx. 5 hours onsite. Everything was explained very clearly and the process was seamless. I went home with a gift bag full of some of my favorite General Mill's snacks etc. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and to learn more about this amazing company.