General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

3.3

195 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

Entire process from first screening to received offer took roughly 4 weeks. Two rounds of interviews. First round was with a Sr Associate Marketing Manager (45 minute interview over the phone). Second round was an in-person interview day at the Minneapolis Campus which lasted 3 hours. Between the two rounds, I was instructed to take two personality tests and a reasoning test which took an hour.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do prioritize tasks?

2. Tell me about a time when you made a risky decision and what was the outcome?

3. Tell me about a time when you used data to reach a conclusion.

4. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty.   1 Answer

Audio Visual (AV) Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

After completing the online application , I was invited to a 30min phone interview, and later a 3-1/2 hr in-person interview with 4 back-to-back interviewers. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming. I even got a swag bag with several General Mills products to take home, including a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. My favorite!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a compliment, why you were complimented, and why did you appreciated the compliment.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online with an employee referral after finding job on Indeed. After getting contacted by HR I had a phone interview that was around 30 minutes. Communication with HR associates was sporadic and I received out of office emails from people that asked me to respond to schedule requests. I had to fill out my profile including job history for a second time, complete 2 personality tests and a logic test. The onsite interview process was great and took around 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• The logic test was very difficult and tricky. It is timed and you have about 2 minutes per question.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online in early June, and was contacted 1 week later by a recruiter. My 30-minute phone interview was scheduled for a week later with a Marketing Manager. It was very structured (walk through resume, 3-4 behavioral/situational questions, and some brief time at the end for any questions you may have). You must respond is STAR format (situation, task, action, result). It is important with CPG companies to focus on your action and result, and spend less time with your situation. Be concise.

1 week after my phone interview, I was contacted by another recruiter, who called to ask for my availability to interview in person. I chose the earliest date possible, which was 1 week later (to take place 4 weeks after my initial application). I was then sent a formal invitation to interview at WHQ and given tasks to complete before the interview. You are asked to complete an additional application directly with General Mills, which is very much the same as the online application form. You must also complete a Hogan Personality assessment, focusing on motives, values, and preferences. It is approximately 300 questions, as another reviewer stated, and can be competed quickly as long as you are answering truthfully about yourself. Additionally, you must take a CEB Deductive Reasoning assessment (ex: Dan, Sam, and Peter are standing in line. Dan is not behind Peter. Sam is last in line. Who is standing first in line?). In my opinion, this is the most challenging part, the questions will use verbal set-ups (some quite lengthy) as well as charts, and you must quickly come to a conclusion; the example I provided is extremely easy compared to the line of questioning you will be facing. You are given 20 minutes to complete 18 questions. I am not a strong test taker, as I am highly visual; I do well with patterned deductive reasoning tests, but verbal ones take time for me to map out. Have scratch paper available. If you are similar to me, I strongly suggest taking practice quizzes until you can comfortably answer these types of questions in 1 minute or less. Be prepared. Many CPG companies will not even consider your interview, no matter how stellar it may be, if you do not perform to their standards on these tests.

A couple of days prior to my interview, I was provided an itinerary. You will be greeted by a Recruiting Manager, who will walk you to your first "interview." If you are scheduled for an AM interview, the first 30 minutes involves grabbing a drink from Caribou and walking the building with a current Marketing Associate. Dive into questions about the role, remember, you want to make sure this position is the right fit for you. You can be candid with the MA but also remain focused on your task and treat it as an interview - you should put your best foot forward. I have read in other reviews that you will meet with 3-4 Senior Marketing Managers after your coffee host interview, however, I was only met with 2. Each interview is in the exact same 30-minute structured format as the phone interview. After my 2 interviews, I was then escorted to the front of the building by the Recruiting Manager, given a GM goodie bag, and told I would hear back in a week, and if not, then the front end of the following week.

After 2 weeks of silence (6 weeks since my initial application), I assumed I did not get selected, hearing nothing from HR. I took it upon myself to reach out with a brief and clear "check-in" e-mail, highlighting my continued interest in the company and inquiry into next steps, as the lack of response seemed lengthy for the timeline which was given to me. About an hour later, I received the standard rejection email.

Job seeking is a highly stressful time for candidates, and takes great preparation to be ready for an interview. I would give my experience as fully positive, if not for the lack of attention in getting back to me promptly. To be fair, I believe it is common practice for large companies to leave rejected candidates wondering, due to the high volume of applications they receive. They will vigorously pursue the candidates whom they choose, and others will quite probably be forgotten. Due to the quick rejection I received after my e-mail, I assume this was the case. However, in my personal experience with other large companies, I usually received an answer in no later than a week, negative or positive, so comparatively, it took General Mills more time. Do not lose patience though, and always be respectful in all of your correspondence. HR is working hard to get the right candidates in the door.

Interview Questions

• What is a brand that is doing well? What is a brand that is not doing well?   1 Answer
    • What is the most challenging analytical project you have worked on?   1 Answer
    • Tell me abut a time you were given a broad task and asked to come up with a solution.   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize tasks with multiple competing deadlines?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with or manage a multi-functional team.   Answer Question

Admin Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Interviewed with 1 HR Mgr and 2 Mgr's for an Admin position in the cereal department. Took a skills test in HR dept. Great interview with all 3 people. Made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous positions and what I did as a temp for General Mills one year prior to being called from HR about an open full-time permanent position. Asked about my organizational skills and people skills.   Answer Question

Senior Skype Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

It was a very organized itinerary. With technical, HR, hiring manager, and a tour of the facility. I was very impressed with how it was setup and executed. It was 6 separate interviews and all the participants were on-time and engaged in the process.

Interview Questions

• Specific technical questions. And later leadership questions. I appreciated the variety.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone screen and then in-person interview. Phone Screen was short maybe 10 minutes. In-person was longer maybe 45 minutes. Lots of situational questions and questions about your aptitude for the position.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing you like about this job and something you dislike   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

Interview

Initially had a brief 15 minute phone interview, the in person interview was long, approximately 4 hours. I met with 3 managers, 1 team member, 1 HR assistant, 1 team specific HR member and 1 IT HR manager. All interviews were in 30 minute blocks with the exception of 1 team member (1 hour) and the 1 HR assistant (15 minutes).

The HR manager questions could have and I would recommend, should be combined. All 3 asked predominately the same questions, each had 1 or 2 different questions. The opportunity to spend time with the team member was wonderful, I was taken on a tour of the Corporate Offices in Golden Valley, he answered questions I had regarding culture, career opportunities etc.

The interview portion with the team specific HR member was not very beneficial and again I would recommend removing that portion from the interview process as the HR manager provided a much clearer insight into HR related questions.

Overall a very positive experience, just a little too lengthy, which could easily be resolved.

Interview Questions

• Questions were generic PM related questions, some questions regarding Agile experience, have you worked with a difficult person etc.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minn City, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minn City, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

45 min phone, three to four behavioral online text, and an 3 and a half hour in person interview which included meeting several team memebers, HR, management, and a brief tour with a pier member.

Interview Questions

• Several network technical questions   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about 30minutes. I was told I would be contacted if the company wanted to do an in-person interview. I was contacted a couple of days after my phone interview. My in-person interview was 3 hours long. It was broken up into 3 parts.

Interview Questions

• A question that was new to me for my phone interview was, "walk me through your resume". Why do you want to work for General Mills? How do you manage working with different personalities?   Answer Question