General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

3.4

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through University recruiting. It started with an on campus interview lasting for about 45 minutes asking behavioral questions and STAR method questions. The next round was comprised of a role play interview and 3 back to back interviews with different members of HR. It was an amazing experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had things not go according to plan and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews and a half-day in-person interview on campus. STAR method of questioning (tell me about a time when...). Also completed behavioral and deductive reasoning tests, and submitted writing samples. Everyone was very professional and kind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to navigate a client request that you didn't agree with   Answer Question

Data Scientist - Global Consumer Insights Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Went over my resume, answered a few STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) questions, and had a few minutes for Q&A. I didn't hear back from GM for a few weeks so I figured they had moved on with another candidate.

To my surprise they finally did call back and asked me to come in for a series of in-person interviews. Prior to coming in, I had to complete two personality tests and a critical thinking assessment. The critical thinking assessment is 18 questions and you only have 22 minutes to complete it. I was only able to get through 11 questions before time expired.

My interviews lasted from ~7:45 in the morning to roughly ~1:00pm in the afternoon. In total I had five 45-minute interviews and also had to complete a case study. I had 1.5 hours to prepare for the case study after my first interview and then presented my findings to the hiring manager.

The interviews themselves were pretty standard, again STAR based questions. All of my interviews were 1:1 - there were no panel interviews.

HR was great to work with during the entire process. They even gave me a gift bag of GM treats when I was done with the interviews.

I received a call back from GM the very next day with their decision to extend me an offer, which I am happy to say I will be accepting.

End to end the process took roughly 1 month.

This interview process is intense/challenging and is designed to weed out those individuals who don't really want the job.

Interview Questions

• Again, all of the questions were all STAR questions. Be prepared to answer the questions with specific examples from your past. Make sure you take time to prepare so you can tailor your answers in a way they are applicable to the job posting.

You will also be asked some other standard questions such as "why GM?" and "why are you interested in this opportunity?"
      Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

First round was on campus and consisted of standard behavioral questions as well as a short case question about what factors you would consider when creating a new product.

Second round was at General Mills HQ and consisted of 3 behavioral interviews with short case questions interspersed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the interview process! Everyone was extremely smart, yet down-to-earth and friendly.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider when creating a new product?
      What are the challenges that General Mills faces?
      How is the food industry changing?
      If given 2 different projects, how would you decide which one to take?
      Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process consists of three steps. First, a screening phone intervirew with an AAM. Second, an in person interview (I had this interview with them at ROMBA). And third, a visit to their headquarters in Minnesota, where you have a case study, one interview about the case study, and two more behavioral interviews.

The case study is about 10 pages long, you have to answer all questions in 75 minutes. They give you a laptop and a notepad. The answers should be typed in Power Point.

The behavioral interviews are STAR story based.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a CPG social media campaign that you like?   Answer Question

Global Consumer Insight Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Everyone is extremely friendly, they really take time to get to know you. They are very passionate about their work, and therefore have high standards and expectations. Communication was effective, and accommodations where provided.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral questions, how did you use data in numerous different situation. How did you convince others, lead others (with data).   Answer Question
    • 60-ish minute case where you have to write down all the answers in a word document, then spend an hour speaking with someone on what you did and why you did it. They will try to push back, but it's to test your resolve and thoughts on your recommendations.   Answer Question

Logistics Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact me via email several times to set up a phone interview. I received a reminder call on the day of the interview as well. I was interviewed by two people using a speaker phone. It was very difficult to hear the person describing the job and asking questions. I answered the questions but felt I would have done better if I wasn't put on speaker phone.

Then I was called to come in for a follow up interview which would be four separate interviews spread out and separated by a lunch with a potential coworker. It was nice to get to visit the campus and everyone could not be nicer!

Interview Questions

• How did I think my skills would apply to their position.   1 Answer

Design Thinking Consumer Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Plymouth, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

The first interview was a 30 minute phone interview. The last was a 3 hour interview where I was interviewed by 4 people, separately. Most of the questions were asking for examples of times you did a certain thing. There was a preliminary phone interview and personality test beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you...   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I first met with the HR recruiter. When we began that actual interview process, it consisted of four 30 minute interviews; 1 with HR and 3 with Senior Finance Managers and Finance Directors. All interviews included behavior based questions with some hypothetical situational questions. The interviews were followed by a 30 minute coffee meeting with a Finance Manager that isn't labeled as an interview, but is more of a screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to lead a project.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make a decision with a short turnaround time.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
    • If you were asked if we should begin creating a new food product, what information would you need to know in order to make your decision?   Answer Question
    • What are some challenges that General Mills is facing in the cereal market?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very short. They asked me at the end of the interviews what I was currently getting paid, and what it would take for me to join General Mills. They ended up offering exactly what I had told them my minimum was. We negotiated beyond that and landed on a middle number.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and then emailed an HR manager about my interest in the position. About a week later I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager and sourcing director. We discussed my background and some behavioral questions. After another week I was invited to on-site final interview in Golden Valley. HR was very flexible in scheduling my interview and helped arrange flight and hotel stay. In the interim, I received links to two personality tests and one deductive reasoning test, which I had to complete before the on-site. These are not difficult, except that you are timed during the deductive reasoning (basic logic test -- don't panic.)

At the on-site, I first met with a sourcing director and then two sourcing managers. The questions were mainly behavioral with a mixture of sourcing technical skill questions. I then met with a current buyer in a more "informal" setting--we went to get coffee and discussed the role and GMI culture. He also took me on a quick campus tour, which was great. Afterwards, I interviewed with an HR associate, who also focused on behavioral questions. I then wrapped up with the HR Manager, who covered next steps with me. The following day I received an offer.

Everyone I met was great. They clearly cared about the position and were looking for both a role and culture fit, and I appreciated that a lot. It made the whole process more meaningful, and I was able to get a better idea of what I would be doing. HR was very helpful and communicative. Overall a great experience, although exhausting, as I was talking to people non-stop for about four hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to influence someone.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made an unpopular decision and what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to have a difficult conversation with someone.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager. What was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to learn something very quickly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me the exact minimum salary requirement I put on my application. I asked for a higher base salary, even backed it up with hard data and market trends, but they wouldn't budge on this. Still, their initial offer was a great package, so I accepted.