General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

3.3

227 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior IT Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview initially started with a phone interview followed by face to face . There was aptitude and personality assessment (Hogan & CEB-Deductive Reasoning) which had to be completed 48 hrs before scheduled interview. Interview process was non I've ever had. I was nervous at first because I've not done job interview in 7+ but everyone was extremely nice and welcoming. The culture at GM is astonishing and you can see that through the employees. Not to forget, I got a gift bag with some of my favorite GM products.

Interview Questions

• All the interviews were STAR style.
      Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty.
      Tell me about a time where you ......
      Tell me about yourself.....   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied to this role through Linkedin and was contacted by an HR representative about a week later requesting to set up time for a phone interview. Make sure to practice your behavioral questions prior to this phone screening - the interview is more challenging than some initial phone screenings but with the right preparation you will be fine.

After this phone screening, I was told I would be contacted in a few weeks to set up time for the final round if I made it. After about 3 weeks, I was contacted by HR to set up an hour interview period - 2 30 minute interviews with different Marketing Managers- at General Mills HQ. Once this time was set up, I also had to take two Hogan personality tests and a CEB Deductive Reasoning test - this took about an hour and a half to complete.

On the final round interview day, I was greeted by an HR rep who gave me a Gen Mills goodie bag and took me to the interview room for my meetings. She was very nice and happy to answer any questions I had. The two interviews had pretty similar questions to what I had on the initial phone screening, the interviewers were very nice and open to chat about any questions I had.

Overall, I thought it was a great experience. I learned a lot about the company and also got to see the very nice General Mills HQ

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to rally a group who was skeptical behind an idea/project that you were working on?   Answer Question
    • Name one brand you think is doing well and explain what it is doing to do well   Answer Question
    • What is the most challenging analytical project you have worked on   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by an HR representative to set up a 30 min. phone interview about 6 weeks after initially applying online. The phone interview was scheduled for the following week and I spoke with a hiring manager directly who asked typical questions: walk me through your resume, tell me a time when... etc. The conversation seemed to go very smoothly and I was to hear back within the next week or two about next steps. Later that afternoon I was contacted by HR to schedule an on-campus visit.

Prior to the on-campus visit, a deductive reasoning and personality assessment are required for completion. As mentioned in previous reviews, the deductive reasoning assessment is 18 questions in 20 minutes and all questions should be answered to avoid a lower score. I will admit, the time restraints for this assessment did add stress and I questioned whether or not how well I did. The personality assessments are not difficult as long as you answer truthfully.

The on-campus interview was scheduled for two days after the phone interview. I arrived to the campus in the morning, was given a quick tour by my HR coordinator, then met with two managers: the initial manager from the phone interview and a senior manager. Both interviews went a bit over time and were conducted of situational questions which should be answered using the STAR method. After, I was escorted back to HR where I met with the HR recruiter for final closing statements and when to expect to hear back before departing, another one to two weeks. I was contacted via phone later that afternoon for an official offer.

The campus and HR members were very welcoming and made the visit a comfortable experience. The goodie bag upon departure is a nice touch to the day as well :)

Interview Questions

• What has been the biggest learning for you within the past year?   Answer Question

Digital Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied on the GM site. I got an email the next day asking for my availability for a phone interview. The phone interview was then scheduled for the following Friday morning.

The phone interview was too laid back, in retrospect. The hiring manager was eager to get me in to meet the team, insisting my experience was not a major factor in learning the role, so on the following Monday I agreed to come in that Friday. 24 hours went by and I got an email asking if I could reschedule my on-site interviews for the following Monday because someone from the team was unexpectedly unavailable, after I had already requested my time off for Friday. I insisted I needed to stick to the original plan for that Friday. I was not going to create suspicion by rescheduling my PTO for a Monday.

I came in for the on-site interviews that Friday. The interview questions became increasingly technical, during which I had to explain my lack of experience on certain types of work - all the while maintaining that I was a quick learner and still a hard worker and skilled communicator. I met with 4 team members and 2 HR representatives. Not once did I get the vibe that they were not interested in what I could bring to the role from the outside. The language the hiring manager was using while touring me around the building indicated he was interested in me joining the team: "This is where you'll see so and so," "This is where we'll probably be doing xyz," "You'd be coming in from the outside," etc. I'm no idiot - you don't use that language when you're not seriously considering someone as a new team member.

Classic case of Minnesota nice - everyone I met was over the top accommodating and nice to my face, then once they ship you out the door with a bag of cereal and Gushers, I thought I stood a good chance of receiving an offer.

So, cut to the following Monday morning, I received a terse "we cannot offer employment to you at this time" rejection email before I could finish my morning coffee. I sat there wildly confused, so I responded to the email asking if there was any type of feedback they could offer me. The HR rep responded the next day, saying it's not company policy to provide feedback to interviewees.

The hiring manager definitely led me on with his inclusive, excitable language and going above and beyond to walk me through the working spaces throughout the building. If it became clear to the hiring manager that I was not a proper fit at any point of the interview, I would have MUCH rather preferred being escorted back to the HR room, grabbed my keys and got the hell out of there.

Interview Questions

• Basic STAR questions. Tell me about a time when you had so many things going on you had to prioritize them.   Answer Question

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through their referral. First interview was on campus with HR rep and asked mainly personal career questions about my future aspirations, ideal work scenarios, etc.. Did well, and got a second interview one week later that mainly consisted of typical behavioral questions you'd expect. Pretty straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• Name three characteristics of your ideal work setting in 5 years.   Answer Question

HR Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Interview

Initial phone interview is 30 minutes with STAR questions.

In-person interview consisted of 4 30 minute interviews back to back, primarily following STAR method. GM has an amazing culture and you can see that through the interview set-up as well as in the team itself.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you made a mistake, and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2017.

Interview

Each session of the interview went smoothly and on time. Everyone was very friendly and professional. I learned a lot about the company and position. They seemed to have a positive attitude towards the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online in early June, and was contacted 1 week later by a recruiter. My 30-minute phone interview was scheduled for a week later with a Marketing Manager. It was very structured (walk through resume, 3-4 behavioral/situational questions, and some brief time at the end for any questions you may have). You must respond is STAR format (situation, task, action, result). It is important with CPG companies to focus on your action and result, and spend less time with your situation. Be concise.

1 week after my phone interview, I was contacted by another recruiter, who called to ask for my availability to interview in person. I chose the earliest date possible, which was 1 week later (to take place 4 weeks after my initial application). I was then sent a formal invitation to interview at WHQ and given tasks to complete before the interview. You are asked to complete an additional application directly with General Mills, which is very much the same as the online application form. You must also complete a Hogan Personality assessment, focusing on motives, values, and preferences. It is approximately 300 questions, as another reviewer stated, and can be competed quickly as long as you are answering truthfully about yourself. Additionally, you must take a CEB Deductive Reasoning assessment (ex: Dan, Sam, and Peter are standing in line. Dan is not behind Peter. Sam is last in line. Who is standing first in line?). In my opinion, this is the most challenging part, the questions will use verbal set-ups (some quite lengthy) as well as charts, and you must quickly come to a conclusion; the example I provided is extremely easy compared to the line of questioning you will be facing. You are given 20 minutes to complete 18 questions. I am not a strong test taker, as I am highly visual; I do well with patterned deductive reasoning tests, but verbal ones take time for me to map out. Have scratch paper available. If you are similar to me, I strongly suggest taking practice quizzes until you can comfortably answer these types of questions in 1 minute or less. Be prepared. Many CPG companies will not even consider your interview, no matter how stellar it may be, if you do not perform to their standards on these tests.

A couple of days prior to my interview, I was provided an itinerary. You will be greeted by a Recruiting Manager, who will walk you to your first "interview." If you are scheduled for an AM interview, the first 30 minutes involves grabbing a drink from Caribou and walking the building with a current Marketing Associate. Dive into questions about the role, remember, you want to make sure this position is the right fit for you. You can be candid with the MA but also remain focused on your task and treat it as an interview - you should put your best foot forward. I have read in other reviews that you will meet with 3-4 Senior Marketing Managers after your coffee host interview, however, I was only met with 2. Each interview is in the exact same 30-minute structured format as the phone interview. After my 2 interviews, I was then escorted to the front of the building by the Recruiting Manager, given a GM goodie bag, and told I would hear back in a week, and if not, then the front end of the following week.

After 2 weeks of silence (6 weeks since my initial application), I assumed I did not get selected, hearing nothing from HR. I took it upon myself to reach out with a brief and clear "check-in" e-mail, highlighting my continued interest in the company and inquiry into next steps, as the lack of response seemed lengthy for the timeline which was given to me. About an hour later, I received the standard rejection email.

Job seeking is a highly stressful time for candidates, and takes great preparation to be ready for an interview. I would give my experience as fully positive, if not for the lack of attention in getting back to me promptly. To be fair, I believe it is common practice for large companies to leave rejected candidates wondering, due to the high volume of applications they receive. They will vigorously pursue the candidates whom they choose, and others will quite probably be forgotten. Due to the quick rejection I received after my e-mail, I assume this was the case. However, in my personal experience with other large companies, I usually received an answer in no later than a week, negative or positive, so comparatively, it took General Mills more time. Do not lose patience though, and always be respectful in all of your correspondence. HR is working hard to get the right candidates in the door.

Interview Questions

• What is a brand that is doing well? What is a brand that is not doing well?   1 Answer
    • What is the most challenging analytical project you have worked on?   1 Answer
    • Tell me abut a time you were given a broad task and asked to come up with a solution.   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize tasks with multiple competing deadlines?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with or manage a multi-functional team.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Entire process from first screening to received offer took roughly 4 weeks. Two rounds of interviews. First round was with a Sr Associate Marketing Manager (45 minute interview over the phone). Second round was an in-person interview day at the Minneapolis Campus which lasted 3 hours. Between the two rounds, I was instructed to take two personality tests and a reasoning test which took an hour.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do prioritize tasks?

2. Tell me about a time when you made a risky decision and what was the outcome?

3. Tell me about a time when you used data to reach a conclusion.

4. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty.   1 Answer

HR Representative Interview

Application

Interview

First, I had the over the phone interview. During the in person interview I met with about 6 different individuals. From the HR supervisor to the HR director.
    I got free lunch, however I was asked by one individual if I had kids. Although it was a casual conversation, I was surprised.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your manager?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   1 Answer
    • What do you like the least about your current position?   1 Answer