General Mills Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

3.3

Convenience & Foodservice Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Recruiters were on campus and at the career fair. After approaching them multiple times, I applied online and got a face-to-face interview. There were a ton of candidates for the position, and I interviewed with an upper level professional. After the first round, I went to the final round in the GM headquarters in Minneapolis, MN for three interviews with three different people. My trip was all paid for by General Mills! I went out to dinner with other candidates and young professionals in the Business Associate position. The next day, I had interviews with a recruiter and two other professionals at General Mills. I did one sales pitch for an interview and was able to get feedback on how I did. All were very conversational and relaxed. Really enjoyed touring the headquarters and meeting honest and highly motivated people.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had a difficulty in a group setting and how did you resolve/approach it?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I first met with the HR recruiter. When we began that actual interview process, it consisted of four 30 minute interviews; 1 with HR and 3 with Senior Finance Managers and Finance Directors. All interviews included behavior based questions with some hypothetical situational questions. The interviews were followed by a 30 minute coffee meeting with a Finance Manager that isn't labeled as an interview, but is more of a screening.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to lead a project.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make a decision with a short turnaround time.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question
    • If you were asked if we should begin creating a new food product, what information would you need to know in order to make your decision?   Answer Question
    • What are some challenges that General Mills is facing in the cereal market?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very short. They asked me at the end of the interviews what I was currently getting paid, and what it would take for me to join General Mills. They ended up offering exactly what I had told them my minimum was. We negotiated beyond that and landed on a middle number.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and then emailed an HR manager about my interest in the position. About a week later I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager and sourcing director. We discussed my background and some behavioral questions. After another week I was invited to on-site final interview in Golden Valley. HR was very flexible in scheduling my interview and helped arrange flight and hotel stay. In the interim, I received links to two personality tests and one deductive reasoning test, which I had to complete before the on-site. These are not difficult, except that you are timed during the deductive reasoning (basic logic test -- don't panic.)

At the on-site, I first met with a sourcing director and then two sourcing managers. The questions were mainly behavioral with a mixture of sourcing technical skill questions. I then met with a current buyer in a more "informal" setting--we went to get coffee and discussed the role and GMI culture. He also took me on a quick campus tour, which was great. Afterwards, I interviewed with an HR associate, who also focused on behavioral questions. I then wrapped up with the HR Manager, who covered next steps with me. The following day I received an offer.

Everyone I met was great. They clearly cared about the position and were looking for both a role and culture fit, and I appreciated that a lot. It made the whole process more meaningful, and I was able to get a better idea of what I would be doing. HR was very helpful and communicative. Overall a great experience, although exhausting, as I was talking to people non-stop for about four hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to influence someone.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made an unpopular decision and what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to have a difficult conversation with someone.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager. What was the outcome?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you had to learn something very quickly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me the exact minimum salary requirement I put on my application. I asked for a higher base salary, even backed it up with hard data and market trends, but they wouldn't budge on this. Still, their initial offer was a great package, so I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Overall, the interview process was great! I was nice to be able to sit down with other people who are in the position you are applying for. Everyone at General Mills was super friendly and their Headquarters is amazing. The interview process itself is a little long, but overall, very manageable. I had 3 different interviews and a case study.

Records Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Quick turn around. With the exception of the receptionist, everyone was extremely warm and welcoming. All the panel questions were soft skills related. Vast majority of the people I saw were millennials which leads me to believe the company is innovative and collaborative.

QRO Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

First round interview on campus, second round interview was in Minneapolis. The first round was a 30 minute interview. The second round interview was half of a work day, filled with four back-to-back interviews followed by lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a full day at the General Mills headquarters in Minnesota. I had a 45 minute sales role-play (very conversational), and three back-to-back 45 minute interviews, with lunch and a tour in betweem.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a good fit for this role?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you met significant resistance from a coworker and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

International Advertising Broadcast Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview and then a half day of in person interviews at General Mills. At General Mills, some of those interviews were in person and some were via phone or Skype.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you had to tell a client you couldn't work with them anymore?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus interview in the beginning of October. Invited out to headquarters for 2nd round interview within a couple weeks. Pretty rushed to figure out travel arrangements, but that's on GM - they reimburse for everything. 2nd round interview was a full, tiring day of breakfast, role play prep, a 15-minute sales role play, a tour of the really awesome office space, a 3 back-to-back 30-minute 1:1 interviews...drink plenty of water and coffee. They provide you with a packet of info to prep for the role play and you are asked to sell the product using the given information. Don't rush, develop a good argument for your product, recommend a certain number to order, and close the deal.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you took someone under your wing and inspired them to do something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online via campus recruiting and weeks later was asked to attend an invitation-only information session. First round and second round interviews were held on campus and were 30 minutes each. I was also required to complete an online assessment. I received a phone call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What factor would make you choose to work at General Mills over another employer?   Answer Question