General Motors Controls Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Controls Engineer Interview Questions

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The hiring process was very comfortable. There was an on campus interview which mainly consisted of behavioral questions. The interviewers were laid back and made me very comfortable.
I was notified via email that I had got the job but was not in the department I wanted, however after a few phone calls they were able to offer me the position. I would defiantly recommend applying to this company as they do try to accommodate your preferences.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2010.

Interview

2 on one interview - then switched to another 2 on one. Each pair was a good-guy bad guy type interview

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2011.

Interview

Interview process consists of two rounds, first round was more behavioural, questions included, Give example of how you resolved a team conflict, Example of how did you make a contribution to the group, and example of how you went out of the way to improve something.
    Second round is also similar with a little bit more technical. A technical engineer also takes part along with the manager.

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors in February 2012.

Interview

Standard GM interview process that included a STAR personal evaluation. Ask to do a presentation regarding controls experience related to the position. Small tour the facility along with a description of company benefits and what the project is related to. Overall, it went pretty well although there was some organizational mixup at the beginning but was soon ironed out.

The thing that was really disappointing however was the fact that there was no follow up after the interview. At all. The comment I received at the end of the interview was that they wanted to make a decision quickly and that I would know either was within 'weeks, not months.' Well, a few weeks passed and there was no reply. I followed up with the HR coordinator and they tried to get the hiring manager to respond. Long story short, I didn't get any answer at all from GM if I got the position or not. I did several follow ups and it was not until recently (2 months later) that I got a final answer that the position was filled. In my mind this is very unprofessional even if it may have been accidental and colored my view of the company going forward.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Rochester, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the GM careers website. I was immediately contacted by a hiring manager wanting to do the phone screen that day. Later that day we had a 30 minute conversation on the phone. The recruiter then forwarded her notes from the call and my application and resume to the hiring manager at the plant. The next day I was invited to come in for a face to face interview and plant tour. The interview consisted of the hiring manager, the area engineer manager, and the plant lead engineer. I was asked questions in a STAR format. They let me know after the interview they were bringing in one more person and that they would try to make a decision quickly. I was contacted by HR two weeks later that they were offering me the position.

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume to careers site. A week later received a call to schedule a phone/skype interview with hiring managers the following week. This was a two hour interview with two hiring managers at the time. After introductions from both sides they started asking questions in the STAR format. There were 4-6 questions for each group of interviewers. At the end I had the chance to ask questions about the job and the engineering team. About a week later received call from HR person and I was asked questions about my education, professional experience, and why I wanted to work there. After three weeks I received an offer. Process was pretty smooth and HR is very professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were put under enormous pressure and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

phone call interview first then longer interview after a week in their headquarters campus in detroit michigan. before phone call they narrowed the candidate pool based on their evaluation. gpa didnt make that much difference, they really look more for experience that you can relate to in their companys research facility

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay City, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Bay City, MI).

Interview

Two sets of interviews with two different managers or engineers. Ask you things you've done in the past that meet the criteria they are looking for. Great interview was shown all around plant. Contacted HR numerous times regarding the position phone/emails without a response. At least have some decency to call/email someone back even if they aren't getting the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a project you worked on where communication was lacking and how did you try to improve it?   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Lominger style interviews for two hours. STAR format - behavioral questions.
    Answers need to be related to you past/current experiences and situations faced.

GM handled the entire process really well. I was very happy with all the feedback and followups.
    Very professional and positive.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to change from your current role ??
      Why GM ?
      Give me an example where you gave an innovative solution for your employer ?
        ....   Answer Question

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

40 minutes interview. Hiring manager firstly asked me experience about previous works on my resume. Then he asked me two STAR format questions. Some general technical questions related to vehicle communication protocol. Then I was given an opportunity to ask them some questions. Overall, the interview went very smoothly. Hiring manager was very knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• What's your communiation style in a team? How do you address a team conflict?   Answer Question