General Motors Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 4, 2017

2.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

"Design Engineer" Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in November 2015.

Interview

-"Group interview/tour" through a contract company discovered on my univeristies career website. At the end a short 15 minute interview with a manager.
-Was told that the job was "Design Engineer" and required a bacholers degree in engineering. This matched the job description given to me by the contract company.
-Interview went well, was offered the job 2 weeks later along with several of the other interviewees.
-Turns out it was actually an entry level designer position which required no more than 2 year college diploma. I supposed in the end it is my fault for not drilling the interviewer/contract company more about the actual responsibilities of position, I thought the advertised titled, job description, ans several questions i asked in the interview would be enough.
-Basically sucked in and decieved recent engineering grads and threw them into designer positions, not sure why since anyone with a CAD design diploma would be much more effective at the designer role..

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

Two stages:
    1) Campus Interview
    2) Interview on site

Notes:
    The interview on site is overnight. The first day is a happy hour/ meet and greet. The company provides a place for you to stay at night. Interviews the next day are with three different hiring managers, which are interested in your skill set.

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Easy and friendly.
    Since it was contract there wasn't any HR in my interview
    3 management were interviewing me for two position. asking about my experiences.
    after a week the recruiter told me i didnt get the job. but next monday he called me and told me there is another position with different manager, so he told me he will call me again to arrange an interview.
    the next day he called me and he told me the manager wants to work with you without any interview.

Interview Questions

• tell us about your experience in ABC company.   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interview. First round with the Lead , it was all about GD nT and my previous experience. 2nd round was with Manager , it was about engines . 3 red round was with HR , it was all about strength weeknesses and salary negotiation an.

Interview Questions

• Which is the most difficult design , aerospace engine or automotive engine. Considering the fact that in an automotive engine combustion chamber volume changes and in aerospace engine it remains constant.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

Was a campus interview.. Shortlisted based on a written test.. Written test had basics of electronics and c-programming. Was moderately difficult.

Interview was also based on basics. We were asked about our subject of choice and question on it.. Also some basic programming.

This was followed by a atypical HR style interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you choose which fliter to use, IIR of FIR, Differences etc   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

There was one interview. Was sat in a group of others who were also being interviewed (for different positions) in a room where a brief presentation on what GM was about took place. Then I was interviewed by two engineers, one at a time. The questions generally took the STAR interview approach.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to solve a problem where others before you had failed.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2013.

Interview

Got call from Placement and went for the interview on the designated place and date after Face to Face for technical round there was a HR round for compensation discussion.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indore (India)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at General Motors (Indore (India)) in February 2013.

Interview

There was the HR interview first and interview with a technical manager later. Some other candidates had to skype/phone call the managers on the spot instead of face to face.

Interview Questions

• HR questions were pretty standard. The manager questions were more in detail about my experiences and technical knowledge.   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)) in August 2011.

Interview

Standard Interview Questions made through a set of scheduled talks with the HR department and the hiring unit. The recruiters were courteous and friendly. It was a dynamic interview with both technical and soft skill questions. The process included medical check-up and personality test. At the end, I was satisfied the way they treated me.

Interview Questions

• What type of design software have you handled and what experience as design engineer you have?   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

Interview

Initially contacted by a "Talent Acquisition" personnel requesting for more information. The information was said to be given to the hiring manager for further consideration.
    A week later, I was contacted for an on site interview at the VEC. The visit consisted of a brief orientation about the position and then an interview with managers. Interview based of STAR behavioral questions. Really enjoyable interview. Managers were really friendly. A week later, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• When did you successfully mastered a new topic or gained new knowledge as part of project?   Answer Question