General Motors Interview Questions in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.9

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Very good process. Quick and efficient. Incredible turnaround. Very reasonable in asking ur expectations and doing the best to place you where you had your interests. Acquisition center is amazing!!! Really enjoyed the process. Very relaxed environment. Very transparent about opportunities and how they assume you will grow in the organization. Interview was structured yet mostly just a group conversation which I liked.

Interview Questions

• Why I was leaving my employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

They didbt leave a lot of opportunity to negotiate. That was my only dislike. However, they need to maintain the speed of interview to offer acceptance process.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).
      1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through my college's career fair. I had known my interviewers perviously, as I had worked with them throughout the semester in my school's capstone class. I only had one interview time, but during that time slot I had two separate interviews with two different people. Both asked mainly behavioral questions. The process took about one hour. Did not hear back yet, as it was two days ago, but will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with a person in a stressful environment?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Apply through the Website and got a call after one 2 days from GM recruiter, then set up the interview with the hiring manager. about a one-hour phone interview. then I got an email from them that they select another candidate for this job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing you have done at work and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

First phone interview with HR director followed by two one on one interviews.
    Informed that they are using STAR format by hr personnel via email before on-site interview.
    Few technical questions along the way.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you suggested. What you learned and how you applied...   Answer Question

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

TRACK - Global Propulsion Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

Began during an on-campus career fair where I went by their booth and talked with a recruiter. The next day there was a networking dinner at a local restaurant. From there, we interviewed on campus with one manager and one recent hire. I got the call for final round interviews a month and a half after that. The final round process was a large event with around 50-75 other interviewees. The event included a networking dinner, multiple rounds of interviews and facility tours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision on a team   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

Applied online, my previous internship was in-line with the credentials. GM contacted me for a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was really easy to talk to the HR lady. Very nice, straight forward questions, nothing crazy. Just introduction type questions.

Phone/Video interview was set-up via email a couple days later, if I remember correctly. It was 10 min. of standard introduction questions, then 40 mins of STAR questions, for about an hour with one of the hiring managers. Then the interview was turned over to another hiring manager. Same types of questions, some where identical. 2 hours total. It was concluded that they liked me, but it turned out that they recommended me for a different department (I was happy after speaking with them, but had to start the process over).

Another Phone/video interview was set-up a couple weeks later.. but we couldn't get a particular time down. So I suggested that I would go in and do a person-to-person interview since I was at an internship at FCA (close by). I arrived at GM Tech Center, not very nervous just because I had been going to different interviews for the past month. I had my speech and Ideas down in my head for the STAR format.

The interview went well, almost identical to phone/video interview, but all the same questions, AND THEN SOME. I believe they actually added on different questions, knowing I had already been through an interview in a different department. I swear there was more questions for the on-site interview than on the telephone. Maybe this department was just more strict/or I became more nervous. I actually ran out of ideas in my head, and had to start thinking up new ones. It was tough, but I was as prepared as a could have been. Hiring manager was awesome, he actually helped me along as I talked through the questions. It's okay to take a minute to think. Just let them know you are thinking (like a game show lol).

An offer was delayed due to be not being able to accept it until I was almost ready to start working. Company policy to only have a small time period to accept. I accepted the position after pushing the offer letter off for 2 months. I had other offers but GM had the best pay/benefits/job responsibilities. Although, I didn't get an offer as a NASCAR driver, so this was the next best position.

Toughest interview process (probably because I went through 2 interviews for different departments), but very rewarding. Very happy with my decision to come to GM.

Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• You don't need an exact question.. Just Google STAR interview questions. Just be prepared to going through STAR.. AND THEN SOME. I mean, how can you apply what you have learned.. etc.   1 Answer