General Motors IT Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors IT Project Manager Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency, then I was submitted for the position and four days later I interviewed by phone by the manager at GM for the (OnStar) IT department.

The interviewer was 10 minutes late for the phone call to where the manager stated that she is driving home and will but me on speaker phone while she is driving. I immediately mentioned that this was dangerous and if she would like to reschedule the interview so she can concentrate on driving ( especially how hectic Austin traffic can be). She declined and the interview took place. It was your standard interview questions on managing projects through the entire software life-cycle, nothing that was changeling or relevant enough to evaluate anyone's abilities as a manager.

She first started with the general background on how OnStar has been absorbed by GM entirely but there is still a lot of company integration issues that still need to be addressed such as a working and functional PMO that is relevant to the unique environment and challenges that have arose since being incorporated into GM's IT Operations.

When I had an opportunity to ask questions I asked questions that inquired into the operations and politics which distinctly drive the company goals and project as well ascertain a better sense on the state of affairs within GM pertaining to IT governance and Project management.

Before I could finish I was told by the manager that she had to cut off the interview abruptly because the traffic was getting worse and she had all the information that she needed. I mentioned to the staffing agency that I was concerned that she could have not gauge my proficiency accurately due to the circumstances of her attention was not entirely focus on the interview but on driving during rush hour traffic in Austin.

Two days later I was told they made two selections for the position, after I was told by the manager that she had a full week of interviews to do before she would set up face to face interviews. So I believe that they had people in mind but to met federal law they must interview individuals outside of the company.

My advice to the manager is to give people your full and undivided attention wither it be the interviewees or the people on the road to which you put there lives at risk by not paying attention

Interview Questions

• How do I manage risk and issues that arise during a project?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

Very structured interview process using situation type questions. Then the response had to adhere to the same structure pattern: situation, what happened what results action was taken and why. Lastly what improvement steps were taken to avoid thus happening action

Interview Questions

• How to handle a team situation where the tasks were not getting done?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Process wasn't too bad. Interviews were quick after submission. Screening call with recruiter and then 2 phone interviews with a project manager. Had 2 face to face interviews and then one final interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

HR places the first screening call, if they like you they move you onto the manager or some other team members for phone interviews. If you pass there, they will bring you in for in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer questions with real life examples of your work, efforts, learning. Things like: Give an example of a time when you needed to communicate information to executives as well as technical team members. How did you communicate differently to the groups?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Conducted a phone interview first with HR. Received a packet in the mail explaining the interview process. Phone interview went well and then scheduled an in person interview. In person interview was with three different people, one was the hiring manager. I received different questions from each person but was expected to answer each question within the STAR format (Situation, Tasks, Actions, and Results). It took another week, and they scheduled my drug test. I passed all tests and was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• What have you done in a difficult situation where you didn’t know how to solve it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, I was expected to take what they offered. For my experience, it was actually a good offer.