General Motors Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 27, 2017

2.7

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a Phone interview, had to reschedule several times. Spoke on the phone with recruiter, asked basic question. Why GM? Tell me a time when... received another phone call several weeks later with a verbal offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bowling Green, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college adviser, got a call 3 weeks later asking for interview. They said I should get a call back if I got the job or not but never received one.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

On campus interview with an alumni recruiter after a career fair. Talked for 45 minutes, asked lots of questions about GM's internship options and about the interviewer's roles in the company. Got an email three weeks later with an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Columbus, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

Went to a career fair and set up an interview. I was interviewed by 3 recruiters. Two of which were previous year interns and they all attended my college in the past

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (East Lansing, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

They asked mainly STAR questions. Most of the situations that I have previously thought of worked with the questions. I thought I did okay, and I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to make decisions in a group and a conflict arised. How did you resolve that conflict?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had an engaging conversation with a recruiter at a university job fair, and was contacted via email a few days later for an on campus interview. The interview was with the recruiter I had originally talked to as well as one other employee.

The first part of the interview was a brief look over my resume (I brought extra copies at the last minute which was lucky) to get the other recruiter up to speed about my interests and activities, and a brief response about why I was interested in GM.

The next part consisted of three behavioral questions, with the requirement that I answer each with a past example, how I handled the situation, what I learned from it, and how I applied it in future.

Finally, the last part consisted of the recruiters describing their own jobs and experiences in the company, as well as answering any questions I had about working at GM.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a situation where you had conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Houghton, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and talked to company at career fair. Got called for interview a few days later and had an on campus interview with one person in star format. Interviewer generally looked down at paper entire time. Star format was basic but slightly more difficult due to it being my first interview in that format.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made a mistake and what you did to fix it   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted for ~40 minutes. It was held on campus. The interviewer (an engineer from Michigan) and I talked briefly about different teams currently looking for internships and what appealed to me about each. Then we talked for several minutes about my past experience and relevant skills I learned. I was asked 3 "STAR" format interview questions from a packet of ~10 he had to choose from. My interviewer placed large emphasis on the thought process in each of my decisions, and took notes on his sheet throughout. At the end, I had a chance to ask more questions about different teams, as well as logistics, timing, and anything else.

Hiring based only on a single behavioral interview without evidence of skills or abilities seems absurd, but hey, that's GM for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when something did not go according to plan, and how you reacted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a behavioral interview. I had one on campus interview and communicated with the lead recruiter for my campus after it to figure out where I was going to be placed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked on a team and something went wrong   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Met at career fair and the recruiter was very nice and easy to talk to. Was invited for an interview the next morning on campus. Interview isn't extremely hard but not easy either. They ask you 3 different situational questions and what you learned, how you reacted, etc about each situation.

Interview Questions

• The hardest for me was talking about a time when I had to learn on the fly   1 Answer