General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.8

Test Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Very easy and relaxed.

First they review your resume and learn a litt about you. Then lead into Lominger style interview questions. Compenency based questions around 3-5, to judge behavior. They also ask you a couple questions elaborating on your technical experience.

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

I was brought into one of their new Innovation Centers and was given a tour at the end. Initially, I was met with two recruiters who then split off, making the interview a two-part one-on-one interview. Overall, a fun interview experience with not a lot of pressure.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to work harder than usual just to complete a seemingly normal task.   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lordstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Lordstown, OH).

Interview

You usually have to have a referral to even get an phone interview, then you get asked some questions about your work history and then you get invited to do job related testing

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Tech Lead/Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 HR round first (30 mins), One technical Screening for an hour, 2 hours HireVU with Manager, and Director.
    The overall interview process went well. But the HR messed up with an offer letter from the initial discussions. Hence I have rejected the offer.

So, the moral is : My time is wasted due to not saying a good range of salary in the initial stage even though I mentioned the exact number lower-end what I am looking for. It is not just about money, it is about the overall experience. If HR told me the range in the first, then I would not consider the job interviews.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Very good process. Quick and efficient. Incredible turnaround. Very reasonable in asking ur expectations and doing the best to place you where you had your interests. Acquisition center is amazing!!! Really enjoyed the process. Very relaxed environment. Very transparent about opportunities and how they assume you will grow in the organization. Interview was structured yet mostly just a group conversation which I liked.

Interview Questions

• Why I was leaving my employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

They didbt leave a lot of opportunity to negotiate. That was my only dislike. However, they need to maintain the speed of interview to offer acceptance process.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The interview process was amazing. Total of two (final round) interviews. They interviewer meets you a day in advance to break the ice. Both interviewers where nice and the interview felt like a meet and greet. Some questions where difficult to answer, but overall an amazing experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to show exceptional leadership skill.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you used yoI internship skills in real life.   Answer Question

Negotiation

GM offers very competitive compensation as an entry level position.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter to go over experience and qualifications. 2 weeks later, in person interviews with Quality management team (2 quality area managers, then 1 quality area manager and quality director) each about 45 minutes each,

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in the past that you had to change a process for the purpose of improving quality, and what difficulties you had.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through my college's career fair. I had known my interviewers perviously, as I had worked with them throughout the semester in my school's capstone class. I only had one interview time, but during that time slot I had two separate interviews with two different people. Both asked mainly behavioral questions. The process took about one hour. Did not hear back yet, as it was two days ago, but will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with a person in a stressful environment?   Answer Question