General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.8

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The interview process was amazing. Total of two (final round) interviews. They interviewer meets you a day in advance to break the ice. Both interviewers where nice and the interview felt like a meet and greet. Some questions where difficult to answer, but overall an amazing experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to show exceptional leadership skill.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you used yoI internship skills in real life.   Answer Question

Negotiation

GM offers very competitive compensation as an entry level position.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter to go over experience and qualifications. 2 weeks later, in person interviews with Quality management team (2 quality area managers, then 1 quality area manager and quality director) each about 45 minutes each,

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in the past that you had to change a process for the purpose of improving quality, and what difficulties you had.   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a Phone interview, had to reschedule several times. Spoke on the phone with recruiter, asked basic question. Why GM? Tell me a time when... received another phone call several weeks later with a verbal offer.

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Cleveland, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied in January 2017, got an interview a month later. Good experience, the guy I interviewed with was really laid back and by the end I wasn't that nervous at all. He recommended me for a second interview (phone interview), but I haven't heard from them in 4 weeks. I've read that the process is slow, but I'm hoping I hear something from them soon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a team member or coworker   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for various IT positions in Austin over the last year. (total of 4) If I was called by the recruiter after applying for a posting, the phone interview with a peer or hiring manager always happened. After a phone interview, 3 of the 4 times I was contacted by the recruiter that an existing internal candidate was taking the position as an internal transfer. One face to face interview (post phone interview) I met with 2 people in the IT team. Each asked a series of behavioral questions. The candidate response needed to include Action, Rationale, Outcome, Learning and Future Application. This response matrix makes it fairly difficult to respond briefly, so be prepared. Example: Tell me a time when you did something extra. Response must include what you did, why, the result, what you learned and then took that learning to a new company or project and improved upon it. A lot to cover with several questions in an hour interview. Sadly, when I met for the face to face, the hiring manager told me at the end of the discussion some 'horse trading' within the leadership occurred and the position was put on hold. GM has not hired much in Austin IT since September 2016 as a result. I would add, some of the phone screen people I have talked with have a condescending tone. I would hope any professional that is called upon to conduct peer interviews would be just that - professional. If someone doesn't understand your question, maybe it's your question. No need to act as if the candidate is an idiot. On the other end of the phone is a person who would like to make a career change and you hold the key. Think about that. Karma can be an SOB when the tables turn some day. I have heard the work life balance at GM is diminishing. They pay well and have very generous year end bonus packages. I would have liked to work there, but the bureaucracy getting in the door is becoming ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• When did you experience a lack of technical skills caused you a problem OR time when chosen to be on a project because of your technical knowledge. Tell me a time time when you came up with a process or procedure to solve a problem OR time when solved a problem twice since the first solution was not correct.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

First phone interview with HR director followed by two one on one interviews.
    Informed that they are using STAR format by hr personnel via email before on-site interview.
    Few technical questions along the way.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you suggested. What you learned and how you applied...   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The majority of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, however, both of my interviewers asked several technical questions as well. The technical questions consisted mostly of data structure and algorithm concepts.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of using an abstract class? Describe a situation when you would use an abstract class. When is an abstract class not the best choice?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Apply through the Website and got a call after one 2 days from GM recruiter, then set up the interview with the hiring manager. about a one-hour phone interview. then I got an email from them that they select another candidate for this job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing you have done at work and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Interview

I interviewed at a job conference. There were two interviews scheduled back to back for a total of 2 hours. The first was behavioral based questions, tell me about a time when..... The second was both behavioral and technical questions. Afterwards, I was told I should receive a call in about 10 days. They called around 9 days after the interview. Overall, it was very smooth and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Interview

The process took 2-3 weeks applied online went in for testing September 6th. You have to do mock assembly. It was simple all you needed to do was follow directions and try to achieve 36 set ups. Then initial on customer order sheet everytime you finish one set up and when the customer order is fulfilled you sign your name. Then you're given a sheet to fill out your name and you circle in your answers on a paper asking what you think would help make the assessment easier that wouldn't interfere with the safety. Then you're to fill out a 96 question questionnaire it is opinionated there is no right or wrong answer you then fill out another paper asking what shifts you would be interested in. I had my interview September 7th over the phone and you're asked three questions two of the questions are about your past experiences within the last five years and the third is a hypothetical question. I received an email September 8th that I didn't score high enough to be considered for employment. My family has worked here since gm had first started my mother works here my husband works here my grandparents retired out of gm it runs in my blood and I don't understand how I have failed....

Interview Questions

• There are five group members and five machines one of the machines being more difficult and one of your group members is on that machine having problems and it is backing up your line how would you solve the problem?   1 Answer