General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2018
1,167 Interview Reviews

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Two round interview process. Behavioral rounds, nothing technical. They mainly assess your thinking ability, if you can adapt to different environments, your role in the team, difficult situations you dealt with.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever take any decision against the team and did you succeed?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview

Received interview through a campus career fair. Interviewed with two hiring managers(separately). We discussed my résumé, then they asked a few behavioral questions. Received an offer a week later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of 2 interviews. The first one was behavioral and the second one was technical. Many others did not take the technical interview if they came from a college in their recruiting list.

Interview Questions

• It was data base related. It was hard for me as my background is in computer engineering not computer science.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I should have.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited at campus recruiting. Went through a basic screen (non-technical). I made it to the interview and it was largely behavioral, but they did ask about project I had worked on and we discussed technical aspects. No random questions about beam bending or anything, just about what I had worked on and put on my resume. They also flew potential hires out to Michigan, which was honestly a lot of fun and very informative.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time that I had to publicly admit to making a mistake.   1 Answer

It was a really really good offer, but I wanted to stay in California.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors in November 2012.

Interview

I had two rounds of phone interviews. The first round, the interviewer was well-prepared, although the screening questions she asked were a bit odd.

The second round, the interviewer seemed rushed and was ill-prepared. There was no introduction (I didn't even know what he did at the company until I asked him at the end of the interview; yes, I had to ask him) and he didn't seem interested at all in my background. He asked a few SQL questions and a multithreaded question. The problem was he didn't understand much about multithreading. I gave a simple answer using synchronization and a counter, but he was surprisingly confused. Digging deeper it became clear that he had some canned question/answer and was looking for a solution that used wait() and notify() instead of sleep(), even though his solution wouldn't work.

One of the really strange issues was describing coding questions over the phone rather than using something like collabedit. I finished the interviews quickly and did very well, but they got back to me saying that while they were impressed, they were "moving forward with a select few candidates whose backgrounds are more closely aligned with our current needs". Overall, I can't help but wonder if I was simply used as interview training for their employees. The entire process took 3 days though, so I have to at least commend them for being so quick about it.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions themselves were rather odd. One was "what are the different scopes in Spring". Testing my ability to spout little-known facts isn't helpful to the process. A much better question would have been "what is Spring and why is it useful?" A solid engineer would be able to answer the second question, while anyone that can answer the first is simply good at memorizing things.   Answer Question

Associate Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received a pre-screening phone call 1 week later. 5 days later I received a phone call to set up an interview for the following week. My interview travel was arranged within a couple of days. The interview was 3 on 1, took approximately 2 & 1/2 hours. I sent a thank you letter the next day. 3 weeks after my interview I received a call offering the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to give your boss bad news?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Asked for negotiations, but denied. Offer is still good.

Interview

Recruited during school, brought in for interview with executive leaders, offered job on the spot. They were ready to hire based on three years of design relationship building during school. Not sure of process beyond that.

Associate Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online to the job posting. One week later I received a call with basic questions regarding availability, citizenship status and other similar questions. A week after that I received another call to schedule the interview. It was a two-part behavioral interview with two different managers for each part. A small test was performed to check my understanding of some of the basic functions of the position: GD&T tests with conflicting tolerances (trick question, but very simple).

It was my first interview. I think my answers were relatively good (maybe missing the WOW! factor). It was my first time using the STAR system used by many employers today for the interview process. It could have gone better.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...   1 Answer

Associate Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

Talked with the recruiters during the Career Fair. They invited me for an interview the next day when they found out I was interested in being a developer. There's a lot more behavioral questions than technical during the interview. The interviewer wasn't strict, it was like I was telling a story to a friend than an interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation I experienced and how I dealt with it?   Answer Question

Journeyman Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Rochester, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Two separate interviews asking technical questions and human behavior questions, each session took about an hour and was very informal and had a comfortable environment. Interviewers seemed very eager to answer any questions about facility.