General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.8

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).
      1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through my college's career fair. I had known my interviewers perviously, as I had worked with them throughout the semester in my school's capstone class. I only had one interview time, but during that time slot I had two separate interviews with two different people. Both asked mainly behavioral questions. The process took about one hour. Did not hear back yet, as it was two days ago, but will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with a person in a stressful environment?   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (Parma, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with 2 sets of 2 individuals who each asked 4 questions relating to prior work experiences and how I handled them. Very relaxed atmosphere. Interviewers were at least one of the individuals you would be working for.

Interview Questions

• When I worked with someone I had an issue with how did I handle it ? What did I learn.   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Cleveland, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied in January 2017, got an interview a month later. Good experience, the guy I interviewed with was really laid back and by the end I wasn't that nervous at all. He recommended me for a second interview (phone interview), but I haven't heard from them in 4 weeks. I've read that the process is slow, but I'm hoping I hear something from them soon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a team member or coworker   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Interview

The process took 2-3 weeks applied online went in for testing September 6th. You have to do mock assembly. It was simple all you needed to do was follow directions and try to achieve 36 set ups. Then initial on customer order sheet everytime you finish one set up and when the customer order is fulfilled you sign your name. Then you're given a sheet to fill out your name and you circle in your answers on a paper asking what you think would help make the assessment easier that wouldn't interfere with the safety. Then you're to fill out a 96 question questionnaire it is opinionated there is no right or wrong answer you then fill out another paper asking what shifts you would be interested in. I had my interview September 7th over the phone and you're asked three questions two of the questions are about your past experiences within the last five years and the third is a hypothetical question. I received an email September 8th that I didn't score high enough to be considered for employment. My family has worked here since gm had first started my mother works here my husband works here my grandparents retired out of gm it runs in my blood and I don't understand how I have failed....

Interview Questions

• There are five group members and five machines one of the machines being more difficult and one of your group members is on that machine having problems and it is backing up your line how would you solve the problem?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for various IT positions in Austin over the last year. (total of 4) If I was called by the recruiter after applying for a posting, the phone interview with a peer or hiring manager always happened. After a phone interview, 3 of the 4 times I was contacted by the recruiter that an existing internal candidate was taking the position as an internal transfer. One face to face interview (post phone interview) I met with 2 people in the IT team. Each asked a series of behavioral questions. The candidate response needed to include Action, Rationale, Outcome, Learning and Future Application. This response matrix makes it fairly difficult to respond briefly, so be prepared. Example: Tell me a time when you did something extra. Response must include what you did, why, the result, what you learned and then took that learning to a new company or project and improved upon it. A lot to cover with several questions in an hour interview. Sadly, when I met for the face to face, the hiring manager told me at the end of the discussion some 'horse trading' within the leadership occurred and the position was put on hold. GM has not hired much in Austin IT since September 2016 as a result. I would add, some of the phone screen people I have talked with have a condescending tone. I would hope any professional that is called upon to conduct peer interviews would be just that - professional. If someone doesn't understand your question, maybe it's your question. No need to act as if the candidate is an idiot. On the other end of the phone is a person who would like to make a career change and you hold the key. Think about that. Karma can be an SOB when the tables turn some day. I have heard the work life balance at GM is diminishing. They pay well and have very generous year end bonus packages. I would have liked to work there, but the bureaucracy getting in the door is becoming ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• When did you experience a lack of technical skills caused you a problem OR time when chosen to be on a project because of your technical knowledge. Tell me a time time when you came up with a process or procedure to solve a problem OR time when solved a problem twice since the first solution was not correct.   Answer Question

Skills Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Buffalo, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was very direct to the point an inquisitive the person who interviewed me was very direct as far as what the requirements and skills needed for the position the atmosphere was very comfortable which made me more eager to be accepted for the position in this prosperous company

Interview Questions

• Why do I think I would be an asset to their company   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (College Station, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiters at college career fair and got an email to sign up for an interview slot time for approximately 45 minutes. There were two interviewers (technical/behavioral).

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Had face-to-face with campus recruiter, then a Skype interview, during which I was told I would be contacted with the outcome within the next 2 weeks. I was not contacted, and my email attempt went unanswered as well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a group that had a member who didn't assist.   Answer Question