General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.8

978 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

BA Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Phone screen. Second phone interview Skype meeting and then in person interview. Business structured but not very difficult. The process was over then waited several months to hear back.

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Very calm and conversational. Was only asked "Why GM?" and 3 behavioral questions. It was a quick 30 minute interview but I didn't feel rushed on my answers and still had plenty of time to ask my 3 questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did to do a process for a customer when you didn't need to   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a meaningful relationship with someone during a distressing time/situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to learn or fix a process quickly   Answer Question

Gps Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors in August 2017.

Interview

Did not sponsor H1B , pretty general questions, only phone interview. After one month got respond, they declined my application. It is not easy to get into the big company when you are a fresh graduate student.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Very easy and relaxed.

First they review your resume and learn a litt about you. Then lead into Lominger style interview questions. Compenency based questions around 3-5, to judge behavior. They also ask you a couple questions elaborating on your technical experience.

Global Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

Two one hour sessions with several people. After taking the day off. The job was given to an internal employee so there had no intention of hiring an "outsider". What a waste of time!

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lordstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Lordstown, OH).

Interview

You usually have to have a referral to even get an phone interview, then you get asked some questions about your work history and then you get invited to do job related testing

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

I was brought into one of their new Innovation Centers and was given a tour at the end. Initially, I was met with two recruiters who then split off, making the interview a two-part one-on-one interview. Overall, a fun interview experience with not a lot of pressure.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to work harder than usual just to complete a seemingly normal task.   Answer Question

Tech Lead/Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 HR round first (30 mins), One technical Screening for an hour, 2 hours HireVU with Manager, and Director.
    The overall interview process went well. But the HR messed up with an offer letter from the initial discussions. Hence I have rejected the offer.

So, the moral is : My time is wasted due to not saying a good range of salary in the initial stage even though I mentioned the exact number lower-end what I am looking for. It is not just about money, it is about the overall experience. If HR told me the range in the first, then I would not consider the job interviews.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).   1 Answer