General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.8

Interview

I interviewed at a job conference. There were two interviews scheduled back to back for a total of 2 hours. The first was behavioral based questions, tell me about a time when..... The second was both behavioral and technical questions. Afterwards, I was told I should receive a call in about 10 days. They called around 9 days after the interview. Overall, it was very smooth and positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Interview

The process took 2-3 weeks applied online went in for testing September 6th. You have to do mock assembly. It was simple all you needed to do was follow directions and try to achieve 36 set ups. Then initial on customer order sheet everytime you finish one set up and when the customer order is fulfilled you sign your name. Then you're given a sheet to fill out your name and you circle in your answers on a paper asking what you think would help make the assessment easier that wouldn't interfere with the safety. Then you're to fill out a 96 question questionnaire it is opinionated there is no right or wrong answer you then fill out another paper asking what shifts you would be interested in. I had my interview September 7th over the phone and you're asked three questions two of the questions are about your past experiences within the last five years and the third is a hypothetical question. I received an email September 8th that I didn't score high enough to be considered for employment. My family has worked here since gm had first started my mother works here my husband works here my grandparents retired out of gm it runs in my blood and I don't understand how I have failed....

Interview Questions

• There are five group members and five machines one of the machines being more difficult and one of your group members is on that machine having problems and it is backing up your line how would you solve the problem?   1 Answer

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Had face-to-face with campus recruiter, then a Skype interview, during which I was told I would be contacted with the outcome within the next 2 weeks. I was not contacted, and my email attempt went unanswered as well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a group that had a member who didn't assist.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

The interview took about 20 minutes. The interviewer asked some general questions about my research projects and the software packages that I have used. Also the explained a bit about the projects that they might assign to me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bowling Green, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college adviser, got a call 3 weeks later asking for interview. They said I should get a call back if I got the job or not but never received one.

Fiance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors in January 2017.

Interview

It is a quick interview. Most of the questions are behavioral questions. Nothing very hard or very tricky. Some practices before the interview would be helpful. Questions such as introduce yourself.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable at collecting information from multiple units?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager, Communications - Cadillac Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process took three weeks. There were three interviews - a phone screen, 1on1 in NYC, and one in Detroit. Discussed background, experience and expectations for the position. Overall, it was very smooth and positive experience.

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

There were two in person interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first focused on personality questions and had one technical question. The second had no technical questions but asked about scenarios I had encountered in the past.

Overall it was a positive experience however I was disappointed in the second interview. The interviewer was supposed to come with notes from the first interviewer but did not. The second interview went well but there was one BIG issue. The interviewer told me he was submitting my name for a job (not that I would get an offer, but that my name would be in the pool). I then followed up with the first interviewer (he was the more knowledgeable of the two) and was informed that when they averaged my scores, I did not meet the minimum criteria. It was two weeks after my second interview that I received this news so it was upsetting to hear that I was never actually submitted for a job at all. I worry that my expectations could have been better handled if the second interviewer had reviewed the notes of the first interviewer.

Once I wasn't offered a position I asked what I could do to make myself more attractive in the future and was given some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical Question: A company wants to find a name for their company but it cannot be a palindrome. How would you write a program that ensures that a palindrome is not used? Tell me like you are speaking to your grandmother.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at GM?   Answer Question
    • What trending IT technology have you used to solve a problem in your life/during school?   Answer Question

Full Time Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Stanford, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Mostly STAR questions for the recruiters. I applied through a university job fair and was sent an email regarding an interview a couple days later. After the interview I waited about 3 weeks for a response. Flying out to Michigan in a few days to meet with hiring managers. (Haven't received an offer yet, but needed to pick an option).

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with someone who is difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer