General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview first, they do interview by project team. questions are very technical scenario base. you need to prepare your use case sample. who joined for interview?(two senior developers, one BA, PM, Dev Manager,and Architech)

Interview Questions

• HR basic questions are easy, but when it gets to actual team interview.. it is super tough
      They ask impossible case questions.
      1 Answer

Senior Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Used Internal posting system, Posting History is maintained on file which can work against employee, Loeminger process is used for interviews which is quite unfriendly but one can use notes (don't know if this is also negatively viewed).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that involved a negative employee and what you learned from the experience.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

Applied online, my previous internship was in-line with the credentials. GM contacted me for a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was really easy to talk to the HR lady. Very nice, straight forward questions, nothing crazy. Just introduction type questions.

Phone/Video interview was set-up via email a couple days later, if I remember correctly. It was 10 min. of standard introduction questions, then 40 mins of STAR questions, for about an hour with one of the hiring managers. Then the interview was turned over to another hiring manager. Same types of questions, some where identical. 2 hours total. It was concluded that they liked me, but it turned out that they recommended me for a different department (I was happy after speaking with them, but had to start the process over).

Another Phone/video interview was set-up a couple weeks later.. but we couldn't get a particular time down. So I suggested that I would go in and do a person-to-person interview since I was at an internship at FCA (close by). I arrived at GM Tech Center, not very nervous just because I had been going to different interviews for the past month. I had my speech and Ideas down in my head for the STAR format.

The interview went well, almost identical to phone/video interview, but all the same questions, AND THEN SOME. I believe they actually added on different questions, knowing I had already been through an interview in a different department. I swear there was more questions for the on-site interview than on the telephone. Maybe this department was just more strict/or I became more nervous. I actually ran out of ideas in my head, and had to start thinking up new ones. It was tough, but I was as prepared as a could have been. Hiring manager was awesome, he actually helped me along as I talked through the questions. It's okay to take a minute to think. Just let them know you are thinking (like a game show lol).

An offer was delayed due to be not being able to accept it until I was almost ready to start working. Company policy to only have a small time period to accept. I accepted the position after pushing the offer letter off for 2 months. I had other offers but GM had the best pay/benefits/job responsibilities. Although, I didn't get an offer as a NASCAR driver, so this was the next best position.

Toughest interview process (probably because I went through 2 interviews for different departments), but very rewarding. Very happy with my decision to come to GM.

Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• You don't need an exact question.. Just Google STAR interview questions. Just be prepared to going through STAR.. AND THEN SOME. I mean, how can you apply what you have learned.. etc.   1 Answer

TRACK Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ypsilanti, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Ypsilanti, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through my university career fair event. I did a phone interview and then an on-campus interview. The in-person interview was an hour long. I had two interviewers, one for technical questions and another for behavioral. I would say it was very tough. If you passed that interview, you will move to the next round which is a case study. (Financial modeling on Excel)

Interview Questions

• How would a new project affect your cash flow statement?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

All asked about C++ virtual, polymorphism. It looks like their programming skills are low based on their questions. They don't even ask about design pattern. It's probably because they're mainly electrical engineers.

Global Training Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two managers. Was asked various Lominger questions. The questions poked at my experience but we're tough in that they wanted to know how I handled situations when I made mistakes.

Interview Questions

• What was a decision that you made incorrectly based on inadequate information and how did you handle to fall out?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

Contacted by several headhunters for the same position. I did not go in for the second time I was contacted, as I was not provided an offer after the interview process the first time. Had to fill out contracts and paper work prior to interview and offer

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked if I had a driver's license. I don't think this is legal.   1 Answer

FInance Rotation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

More technical finance questions than investment banking interviews. No fit questions. They want robots. Interviewers were brusque and had a tenuous grasp on the English language. They talked a lot about hedging fx, and expect you to know this, not sure why since gm barely has a domestic reach. Ended up walking out of the interview, and thanked them for their time.

Interview Questions

• How do you hedge currency exposure.
      Decide how much debt and equity need.
      Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Two 45 minute interviews with 2 groups of 2-3 people. Asking standardized questions like "Tell us about a time you had a tight deadline? How did you resolve it and what did you learn from it? It felt like psychological torture because each group asked me the identical questions and there were at least 7 questions like that in each interview

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you resolved a conflict with a peer and what did you learn from it   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

First round -- on campus; second round -- Written case interview PLUS multiple face to face interviews -- usually on a "super weekend". Interviews usually very technical and finance focused. Lot of emphasis on investment skills.

Interview Questions

• Currency hedging strategies especially across US and Mexico   Answer Question