General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

408 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Take II Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for Take 2 Intern position which is specifically for experienced women who had to take a break on their career, stay at home and fulfill family needs.
    I had a phone screening, more like a 30 min interview with some regular and some interesting questions. Ex; I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.
    After a short time of interview the interviewer told me that my English is very well although I have been in the U.S for 8 years. I was surprised with that curiosity because 8 years is a long time to learn a language while living in the country especially with the fact that I completed an MBA degree with 4.00 GPA in the U.S. and 1 year work experience after that. (In total I have 6 years experience including one of fortune 500 companies)
    The interviewer told me that I am a very strong candidate and probably I will get the second interview in house. You can imagine how excited and happy I was.
    I completed online assessment and shortly after I received an e mail. My second round interview was going to be 6 weeks later! I was extremely happy to be able to express my accomplishments and enthusiasm so I spent my 6 weeks to research, prepare and think about that interview.
    On the interview day, I met with two different team and they were looking for 5 “Take 2” interns for the Fall session. Great opportunity! I thought I could get one of the positions since I had great accomplishments, (MBA graduation with 4.00 GPA, promoting in 3 months, solving many challenging problems successfully, professional look, polite attitude, etc.)
    The first interview started again with them mentioning my “fluent English”. For some reason I felt awkward that they kept emphasizing the language; I didn’t apply for a PR position, only an intern position in Finance. Shouldn’t my accomplishments be more important than my English? Please consider that they are looking for a person who stays at home for at least 5 years, and for a foreign person it could be very challenging to keep the language at the same level in that time.
    Again during these two interviews I had only couple of expected questions but most of them were unusual and about personal relationship. In one example I mentioned that I delegated a duty to my co worker in order to meet due dates of two different assignment. They were curious how I selected the person to delegate. I replied that I taught everything they know so I know their abilities. (I don’t think there were satisfied with that answer)
    Most of the questions were about the personal relationship instead of how I processed the problems, come up with creative solutions and how much time and money were saved for the company.
    At the end of 2 interviews I was asked at least 15-20 questions that are not related to my previous experience, knowledge and abilities.
    Finally when they called me to say I wasn’t selected, they told there are 4 different areas they consider. The reason I wasn’t selected because I was weak on communication skills. I was extremely sorry to hear that I wasn’t selected so I didn’t think about asking that what about the other 3 areas you didn’t find me weak? Was this the most important one to be considered?
    They recommended me to have more interviews and try to apply for Take 2 Winter session like I get interviews everyday as a person who is both foreign and has gap of 5 years on her career.
    When I think about how they emphasize about English knowledge I feel like I wasn’t selected because I am foreign.
    One month later a friend of mine had an interview at GM for a Manager position that requires 8+ years experience in a department other than Finance. He said he only got regular STAR LA questions nothing more. Apparently the interviewer was wondering his accomplishments rather than his relationship with his co-workers while selecting a high level team member.

P.S. I also had an interview with FCA for a mid-level position that requires 5+ years experience. Interview went very well. Their questions were more related to my background and experience. They were trying to understand my skills more than GM did.

Hope this will help you
    Good luck!

Interview Questions

• I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.   Answer Question

Senior Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Used Internal posting system, Posting History is maintained on file which can work against employee, Loeminger process is used for interviews which is quite unfriendly but one can use notes (don't know if this is also negatively viewed).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that involved a negative employee and what you learned from the experience.   Answer Question

TRACK Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ypsilanti, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Ypsilanti, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through my university career fair event. I did a phone interview and then an on-campus interview. The in-person interview was an hour long. I had two interviewers, one for technical questions and another for behavioral. I would say it was very tough. If you passed that interview, you will move to the next round which is a case study. (Financial modeling on Excel)

Interview Questions

• How would a new project affect your cash flow statement?   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

All asked about C++ virtual, polymorphism. It looks like their programming skills are low based on their questions. They don't even ask about design pattern. It's probably because they're mainly electrical engineers.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

Contacted by several headhunters for the same position. I did not go in for the second time I was contacted, as I was not provided an offer after the interview process the first time. Had to fill out contracts and paper work prior to interview and offer

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked if I had a driver's license. I don't think this is legal.   1 Answer

FInance Rotation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

More technical finance questions than investment banking interviews. No fit questions. They want robots. Interviewers were brusque and had a tenuous grasp on the English language. They talked a lot about hedging fx, and expect you to know this, not sure why since gm barely has a domestic reach. Ended up walking out of the interview, and thanked them for their time.

Interview Questions

• How do you hedge currency exposure.
      Decide how much debt and equity need.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Two 45 minute interviews with 2 groups of 2-3 people. Asking standardized questions like "Tell us about a time you had a tight deadline? How did you resolve it and what did you learn from it? It felt like psychological torture because each group asked me the identical questions and there were at least 7 questions like that in each interview

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you resolved a conflict with a peer and what did you learn from it   Answer Question

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Roswell, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
    The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
    That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
    Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   1 Answer

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

First they emailed me stating that they want to talk to me, I gave them time. When they called me, all of sudden it was phone technical interview.They asked very very simple technical questions on phone interview. I was surprised as it was unexpected. I gave them phone interview anyway, and it was lasted 45 minutes. After 2 hours, they really liked in phone interview and they want to proceed with face to face. They scheduled day and time with me. During face to face interview, they asked 99% behavioral questions. I was surprised.

Interview Questions

• All Behaviour question and none technical questions even though this position is Programmer position   Answer Question

Industrial Engineer - Entry Level Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Wentzville, MO) in January 2014.

Interview

The Entry Level Industrial Engineer position that I applied for was contracted out by an Engineering Temp Service. The best pro about this interview was how quick the entire process worked. I was approved for an interview on Friday, had the interview on Tuesday, and told that I would know by Wednesday if I could start the job next week. Everything else about the interview was incredibly tough. It was a panel interview with 4 engineering managers that had not glanced at my resume prior to our meeting. If they had, they probably wouldn't have agreed to interview me because I was clearly not the ideal candidate for the job. All of their questions were formed from the content on my resume. Since they had not had a chance to read my resume, most of their questions were taken out of context. For example, since I just graduated with my bachelors degree, all of my Industrial Engineering experience has been through Internships; however they were asking me for examples of my work that would be expected from an engineer with two to three years of experience. At the part of the interview that I was able to ask questions, every inquiry was answered with a pompous response. Altogether, my experience could have been better had my preparation been better.