General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

There were two in person interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first focused on personality questions and had one technical question. The second had no technical questions but asked about scenarios I had encountered in the past.

Overall it was a positive experience however I was disappointed in the second interview. The interviewer was supposed to come with notes from the first interviewer but did not. The second interview went well but there was one BIG issue. The interviewer told me he was submitting my name for a job (not that I would get an offer, but that my name would be in the pool). I then followed up with the first interviewer (he was the more knowledgeable of the two) and was informed that when they averaged my scores, I did not meet the minimum criteria. It was two weeks after my second interview that I received this news so it was upsetting to hear that I was never actually submitted for a job at all. I worry that my expectations could have been better handled if the second interviewer had reviewed the notes of the first interviewer.

Once I wasn't offered a position I asked what I could do to make myself more attractive in the future and was given some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical Question: A company wants to find a name for their company but it cannot be a palindrome. How would you write a program that ensures that a palindrome is not used? Tell me like you are speaking to your grandmother.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at GM?   Answer Question
    • What trending IT technology have you used to solve a problem in your life/during school?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the website, and they emailed me after a week or two. They first scheduled me for a phone call with a recruiter to discuss my background, why I wanted to work for GM, and give me some very general information about what the position was.
    Then I had a skype interview with an engineer, who seemed to be confused at what the role actually was. Apparently HR didn't give him the job posting so he seemed really confused at what to ask me. he ended up just going over my resume and seeing if what I did before was relevant.
    After that, they wanted to schedule me for a on site, but I was out of the country at the time, and they didn't want to pay to fly me out. So I had another skype interview with two hiring managers who asked me STAR questions.
    After that, they told me they'd have an answer within 2 weeks, but this was right before the holidays so I got nothing. Emailed the recruiter after the holidays, he told me they were still deciding. I emailed them twice after that, and both emails were ignored. I thought they'd at least have the professional courtesy to tell me that I was rejected, instead of ignoring my emails.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguous projects?
      What was your greatest success?
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with someone.
      Answer Question

Vehicle Diagnostics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Two representatives conducted the interview. They started by going over the resume and asking some questions about the past experiences. The next part was STAR format questions, where they asked me to be very specific with the answers.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a negative experience with a co-worker?   Answer Question

Production Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Wentzville, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was very casual and pleasant. The interviewers were normal folks and friendly. They took turns asking me STAR type questions while writing down my responses. I asked if they were the ones making the final hiring decision and they told me know. I find that odd since they are the ones that got to know me, not the HR people in Michigan.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that I had to deal with an uncomfortable situation.   Answer Question

Senior Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The first round involved a phone screen with HR, focused on a thorough examination of background and skill set. The HR contact had key skill sets that the hiring manager had identified. No behavior/situation questions. Initial phone screen was followed by an hour + phone interview with the hiring manager, again focused on skill set and experience.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have with (insert applicable Area of law)?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bowling Green, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college adviser, got a call 3 weeks later asking for interview. They said I should get a call back if I got the job or not but never received one.

Engineer Interview

Interview

Directly to interview process. Three rounds. two were technical and one HR. In technical they will ask about subjects based on my B.Tech and according to the candidates interest. They asked every question one linked to other. Overall they maintained a positive atmosphere during the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Mainly asked about automobile components - ABS, Cruise control, Control system used in those   Answer Question

Autonomous Diagnostics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

It is a phone interview taken 30 mins begining with brief introduction
    1. the projects I did (details): software used, design and control algorithm
    2. experience about iso in detail
    3. education background:degree and university

Interview Questions

• 1. the projects I did?
      2. experience about iso?
      3. education background?
      Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Had face-to-face with campus recruiter, then a Skype interview, during which I was told I would be contacted with the outcome within the next 2 weeks. I was not contacted, and my email attempt went unanswered as well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a group that had a member who didn't assist.   Answer Question