General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

There were two in person interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first focused on personality questions and had one technical question. The second had no technical questions but asked about scenarios I had encountered in the past.

Overall it was a positive experience however I was disappointed in the second interview. The interviewer was supposed to come with notes from the first interviewer but did not. The second interview went well but there was one BIG issue. The interviewer told me he was submitting my name for a job (not that I would get an offer, but that my name would be in the pool). I then followed up with the first interviewer (he was the more knowledgeable of the two) and was informed that when they averaged my scores, I did not meet the minimum criteria. It was two weeks after my second interview that I received this news so it was upsetting to hear that I was never actually submitted for a job at all. I worry that my expectations could have been better handled if the second interviewer had reviewed the notes of the first interviewer.

Once I wasn't offered a position I asked what I could do to make myself more attractive in the future and was given some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical Question: A company wants to find a name for their company but it cannot be a palindrome. How would you write a program that ensures that a palindrome is not used? Tell me like you are speaking to your grandmother.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at GM?   Answer Question
    • What trending IT technology have you used to solve a problem in your life/during school?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. I was called by HR and then a video interview was setup. The questions were mainly behavioral with one or two technical questions. Overall, it was a smooth process with one interview consisting of two rounds. I'm waiting to hear back from them, will update once I know the results.

Personnel Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Blanc, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Grand Blanc, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

2 hour interview process - the questions were not difficult, however, they do use the STAR process so be prepared for examples. Each interview had two interviewees. Overall, it was a good experience but I recommend practicing so you're not caught off guard with the questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to stand up to someone of authority   Answer Question

TRACK - Global Propulsion Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

Began during an on-campus career fair where I went by their booth and talked with a recruiter. The next day there was a networking dinner at a local restaurant. From there, we interviewed on campus with one manager and one recent hire. I got the call for final round interviews a month and a half after that. The final round process was a large event with around 50-75 other interviewees. The event included a networking dinner, multiple rounds of interviews and facility tours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision on a team   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I first applied for thre position through the website .Had the first interview over the phone. Lasted about 30 minutes. A week later, i had my 1:1 interview. Both interviews were fairly easy. The interviewers were also cool. Most interview questions are behavioral questions, with 1 or 2 position- related (technical) questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Smooth, called at first to set up an on site interview which consisted of two hours divided between two hiring managers, most of the questions were behavioral one to two questions were technical.

Materials Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Hill, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Spring Hill, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

Hands on simulation of work to be performed.................................We each recieved step by step instructions and the materials to build the parts. We where told to build as many parts as we could by following the instructions on each page (different steps on each page)and we where given 1 hour to do this. The production rate for this part is 36 parts per hour.

Interview Questions

• We each recieved step by step instructions and the materials to build the parts. We where told to build as many parts as we could by following the instructions on each page (different steps on each page)and we where given 1 hour to do this. The production rate for this part is 36 parts per hour.   1 Answer

Dre Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Chat at career fair, on campus interview, and 2 more interviews at engineering final rounds in Detroit. They really try hard to sell Detroit and do a great job. Unfortunately not my dream locations

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

applied online and got a call in a week. There was a short call with recruiter and she scheduled a call with hiring manager in a weeks times. Hiring manager was nice and the interview was based on STAR patter questions and few technical ones. Later on I got a call for Onsite / In person interview, It had 2 rounds, one with Hiring manager and other with Dev manager. Both had set of questions (STAR) pattern. Dev manager asked technical questions but related to my resume, nothing unexpected.
    Even though the interview went good but I never got a feedback or an offer. Recruiter was very positive but I don't know what happened later on.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time type questions like difficult time in project, have to convince your manager or have difficult time with team members.   1 Answer

Senior Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The first round involved a phone screen with HR, focused on a thorough examination of background and skill set. The HR contact had key skill sets that the hiring manager had identified. No behavior/situation questions. Initial phone screen was followed by an hour + phone interview with the hiring manager, again focused on skill set and experience.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have with (insert applicable Area of law)?   Answer Question