General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 0, 0000

2.8

Full Time Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Stanford, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Mostly STAR questions for the recruiters. I applied through a university job fair and was sent an email regarding an interview a couple days later. After the interview I waited about 3 weeks for a response. Flying out to Michigan in a few days to meet with hiring managers. (Haven't received an offer yet, but needed to pick an option).

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with someone who is difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was very straightforward. GM came to my school's career fair and I dropped of my resume. I was invited for an in person interview with two alumni. The interview was entirely to check fit and the questions were all cultural. They asked me to describe some of the projects I've worked on before but didn't press anything technical. Afterwards, I was quickly called by the manager of the group I would have worked on and he just described his role before asking if I had questions. It was a very swift process.

Powertrain Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

There was only one on campus behavioral interview, and that was it. I was interviewed by two engineers, who asked fairly standard questions regarding my interests, experience, and ambitions. At the end of the interview there were a few minutes for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a story of a time when your best just wasn't good enough   Answer Question

Global Purchasing & Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

One interview - through campus. It was fairly straightforward with all behavioral questions. Be sure to ask good questions at the end to showcase your interest. The interviewer was very nice and was able to continue the conversation with me.

Interview Questions

• Why GM?
      Tell me about a time where you faced a challenge and overcame it.
      Tell me about a time when you were leading a group.
      1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. I was called by HR and then a video interview was setup. The questions were mainly behavioral with one or two technical questions. Overall, it was a smooth process with one interview consisting of two rounds. I'm waiting to hear back from them, will update once I know the results.

Personnel Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Blanc, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Grand Blanc, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

2 hour interview process - the questions were not difficult, however, they do use the STAR process so be prepared for examples. Each interview had two interviewees. Overall, it was a good experience but I recommend practicing so you're not caught off guard with the questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to stand up to someone of authority   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

Applied online, my previous internship was in-line with the credentials. GM contacted me for a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was really easy to talk to the HR lady. Very nice, straight forward questions, nothing crazy. Just introduction type questions.

Phone/Video interview was set-up via email a couple days later, if I remember correctly. It was 10 min. of standard introduction questions, then 40 mins of STAR questions, for about an hour with one of the hiring managers. Then the interview was turned over to another hiring manager. Same types of questions, some where identical. 2 hours total. It was concluded that they liked me, but it turned out that they recommended me for a different department (I was happy after speaking with them, but had to start the process over).

Another Phone/video interview was set-up a couple weeks later.. but we couldn't get a particular time down. So I suggested that I would go in and do a person-to-person interview since I was at an internship at FCA (close by). I arrived at GM Tech Center, not very nervous just because I had been going to different interviews for the past month. I had my speech and Ideas down in my head for the STAR format.

The interview went well, almost identical to phone/video interview, but all the same questions, AND THEN SOME. I believe they actually added on different questions, knowing I had already been through an interview in a different department. I swear there was more questions for the on-site interview than on the telephone. Maybe this department was just more strict/or I became more nervous. I actually ran out of ideas in my head, and had to start thinking up new ones. It was tough, but I was as prepared as a could have been. Hiring manager was awesome, he actually helped me along as I talked through the questions. It's okay to take a minute to think. Just let them know you are thinking (like a game show lol).

An offer was delayed due to be not being able to accept it until I was almost ready to start working. Company policy to only have a small time period to accept. I accepted the position after pushing the offer letter off for 2 months. I had other offers but GM had the best pay/benefits/job responsibilities. Although, I didn't get an offer as a NASCAR driver, so this was the next best position.

Toughest interview process (probably because I went through 2 interviews for different departments), but very rewarding. Very happy with my decision to come to GM.

Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• You don't need an exact question.. Just Google STAR interview questions. Just be prepared to going through STAR.. AND THEN SOME. I mean, how can you apply what you have learned.. etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

the hiring process was challenging but the people who interviewed me we exceptional. Very smart, capable and interesting to talk to. I enjoyed our conversations and certainly would like to stay in touch.

Interview Questions

• what is more expensive, cost of capital or cost of debt?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I first applied for thre position through the website .Had the first interview over the phone. Lasted about 30 minutes. A week later, i had my 1:1 interview. Both interviews were fairly easy. The interviewers were also cool. Most interview questions are behavioral questions, with 1 or 2 position- related (technical) questions.