General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,050 Interview Reviews

2.8

GPS Track Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

I was called for a Final Round Interview where all candidates flew to MI and they are extremely friendly and want to make sure all your questions are answered and that you feel comfortable and welcomed. The interviews were behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• A time where I had to work with people from other departments.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

Talked and resume-drop with recruiters during campus career fair. I was invited to an on-campus interview the same week. The final round interviews took place in Detroit a couple weeks later.

Interview Questions

• All were behavioral/experience based. No technical interviews   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Tulsa, OK) in November 2017.

Interview

It was a standard behavioral interview and mainly asked questions about my experiences and how I handled different situations. They'll ask you how you handle difficult situations multiple times so just be prepared with your different situations.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to learn something new and what resources did you use to learn it   Answer Question

BI Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Met at a job fair at school. Had interview on site the day I met them and follow up interview the next day. Very simple and quick. Interviewers were not intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you failed at something? How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Columbia, TN) in August 2016.

Interview

Very easy and basic questions work history and experiences in the related work. Set up skills test and assessment. Benefit information and vacation information. Was over the phone and lasted about 20 min

Interview Questions

• If a employee you are working with is struggling to get work done what would you do?   1 Answer

Take II Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for Take 2 Intern position which is specifically for experienced women who had to take a break on their career, stay at home and fulfill family needs.
    I had a phone screening, more like a 30 min interview with some regular and some interesting questions. Ex; I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.
    After a short time of interview the interviewer told me that my English is very well although I have been in the U.S for 8 years. I was surprised with that curiosity because 8 years is a long time to learn a language while living in the country especially with the fact that I completed an MBA degree with 4.00 GPA in the U.S. and 1 year work experience after that. (In total I have 6 years experience including one of fortune 500 companies)
    The interviewer told me that I am a very strong candidate and probably I will get the second interview in house. You can imagine how excited and happy I was.
    I completed online assessment and shortly after I received an e mail. My second round interview was going to be 6 weeks later! I was extremely happy to be able to express my accomplishments and enthusiasm so I spent my 6 weeks to research, prepare and think about that interview.
    On the interview day, I met with two different team and they were looking for 5 “Take 2” interns for the Fall session. Great opportunity! I thought I could get one of the positions since I had great accomplishments, (MBA graduation with 4.00 GPA, promoting in 3 months, solving many challenging problems successfully, professional look, polite attitude, etc.)
    The first interview started again with them mentioning my “fluent English”. For some reason I felt awkward that they kept emphasizing the language; I didn’t apply for a PR position, only an intern position in Finance. Shouldn’t my accomplishments be more important than my English? Please consider that they are looking for a person who stays at home for at least 5 years, and for a foreign person it could be very challenging to keep the language at the same level in that time.
    Again during these two interviews I had only couple of expected questions but most of them were unusual and about personal relationship. In one example I mentioned that I delegated a duty to my co worker in order to meet due dates of two different assignment. They were curious how I selected the person to delegate. I replied that I taught everything they know so I know their abilities. (I don’t think there were satisfied with that answer)
    Most of the questions were about the personal relationship instead of how I processed the problems, come up with creative solutions and how much time and money were saved for the company.
    At the end of 2 interviews I was asked at least 15-20 questions that are not related to my previous experience, knowledge and abilities.
    Finally when they called me to say I wasn’t selected, they told there are 4 different areas they consider. The reason I wasn’t selected because I was weak on communication skills. I was extremely sorry to hear that I wasn’t selected so I didn’t think about asking that what about the other 3 areas you didn’t find me weak? Was this the most important one to be considered?
    They recommended me to have more interviews and try to apply for Take 2 Winter session like I get interviews everyday as a person who is both foreign and has gap of 5 years on her career.
    When I think about how they emphasize about English knowledge I feel like I wasn’t selected because I am foreign.
    One month later a friend of mine had an interview at GM for a Manager position that requires 8+ years experience in a department other than Finance. He said he only got regular STAR LA questions nothing more. Apparently the interviewer was wondering his accomplishments rather than his relationship with his co-workers while selecting a high level team member.

P.S. I also had an interview with FCA for a mid-level position that requires 5+ years experience. Interview went very well. Their questions were more related to my background and experience. They were trying to understand my skills more than GM did.

Hope this will help you
    Good luck!

Interview Questions

• I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

My interview was a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager and the same level. Each interview took about 1 hour. The questions were mainly of the behavioral type.

Interview Questions

• There were not many difficult or unexpected questions. They were all behavioral.   Answer Question

Fem Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Turin (Italy)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Turin (Italy)).

Interview

I applied by sending my CV to GM; just one week later I was called by a consulting company, which hires for GM. I had a first interview by this company with a HR. Then I had the second and last interview by GM: it was a technical talk.

GPS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Pasadena, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

First interview during a Career fair, and a week later was emailed to take an online assessment. After a week was contacted by email to invite me to the final rounds interview in Michigan. Interview in Michigan was done by 2 engineering managers, 1hr each, then ride and drive, and a Q&A session. All interview questions done using the STARL method

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when you have to transmit your experience or knowledge to someone outside your team?   Answer Question

Senior Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in March 2013.

Interview

General Motors uses the Lominger Interview Process. It is very involved and spends a lot of time with real experience. It is a good way of discussing real situations and understanding the thought process for resolution.

Interview Questions

• You need to provide real business situations and the process you follow to resolve.   Answer Question