General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

2.8

Supply Chain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Pune (India)) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial Round of Technical Interview with Hiring Manager, Extensive 8 hours interview process including, Group Discussion, Email based questions, Personality test with Video Recording, IQ test with multiple choice questions and in third phase final interview with HR over the personality test

Autoplex Environmental Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through school's co-op process, few weeks later received an interview on-campus. Very friendly interviewers, didn't make you feel stressed out. Asked basic behavioural questions (no technical), wanted to find a good culture fit.

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lordstown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Lordstown, OH).

Interview

You usually have to have a referral to even get an phone interview, then you get asked some questions about your work history and then you get invited to do job related testing

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Skills Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors (Buffalo, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was very direct to the point an inquisitive the person who interviewed me was very direct as far as what the requirements and skills needed for the position the atmosphere was very comfortable which made me more eager to be accepted for the position in this prosperous company

Interview Questions

• Why do I think I would be an asset to their company   1 Answer

Supplier Performance Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Makati City (Philippines)) in May 2016.

Interview

Very brief and concise. The employer had all the questions lined up for the candidate. They were probing questions not only for the job but also for introspection. Probably one of thebest interviews i've had in my career.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Situation based interview, typical questions and followup on answers. First there is 30 min phone interview with hiring manager which is oriented around getting to know you better with respect to what you put on the resume. Then there is two hour onsite interview with two managers. Interview questions are relatively standard. Probably differ with position you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to managing multiple responsibilities, solving engineering problems, managing conflicting assignments and team work   1 Answer

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Very good process. Quick and efficient. Incredible turnaround. Very reasonable in asking ur expectations and doing the best to place you where you had your interests. Acquisition center is amazing!!! Really enjoyed the process. Very relaxed environment. Very transparent about opportunities and how they assume you will grow in the organization. Interview was structured yet mostly just a group conversation which I liked.

Interview Questions

• Why I was leaving my employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

They didbt leave a lot of opportunity to negotiate. That was my only dislike. However, they need to maintain the speed of interview to offer acceptance process.

Tech Lead/Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 HR round first (30 mins), One technical Screening for an hour, 2 hours HireVU with Manager, and Director.
    The overall interview process went well. But the HR messed up with an offer letter from the initial discussions. Hence I have rejected the offer.

So, the moral is : My time is wasted due to not saying a good range of salary in the initial stage even though I mentioned the exact number lower-end what I am looking for. It is not just about money, it is about the overall experience. If HR told me the range in the first, then I would not consider the job interviews.