General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

2.8

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

The interview took about 20 minutes. The interviewer asked some general questions about my research projects and the software packages that I have used. Also the explained a bit about the projects that they might assign to me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bowling Green, KY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through college adviser, got a call 3 weeks later asking for interview. They said I should get a call back if I got the job or not but never received one.

Fiance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors in January 2017.

Interview

It is a quick interview. Most of the questions are behavioral questions. Nothing very hard or very tricky. Some practices before the interview would be helpful. Questions such as introduce yourself.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable at collecting information from multiple units?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager, Communications - Cadillac Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process took three weeks. There were three interviews - a phone screen, 1on1 in NYC, and one in Detroit. Discussed background, experience and expectations for the position. Overall, it was very smooth and positive experience.

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

There were two in person interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first focused on personality questions and had one technical question. The second had no technical questions but asked about scenarios I had encountered in the past.

Overall it was a positive experience however I was disappointed in the second interview. The interviewer was supposed to come with notes from the first interviewer but did not. The second interview went well but there was one BIG issue. The interviewer told me he was submitting my name for a job (not that I would get an offer, but that my name would be in the pool). I then followed up with the first interviewer (he was the more knowledgeable of the two) and was informed that when they averaged my scores, I did not meet the minimum criteria. It was two weeks after my second interview that I received this news so it was upsetting to hear that I was never actually submitted for a job at all. I worry that my expectations could have been better handled if the second interviewer had reviewed the notes of the first interviewer.

Once I wasn't offered a position I asked what I could do to make myself more attractive in the future and was given some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical Question: A company wants to find a name for their company but it cannot be a palindrome. How would you write a program that ensures that a palindrome is not used? Tell me like you are speaking to your grandmother.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at GM?   Answer Question
    • What trending IT technology have you used to solve a problem in your life/during school?   Answer Question

Full Time Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Stanford, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Mostly STAR questions for the recruiters. I applied through a university job fair and was sent an email regarding an interview a couple days later. After the interview I waited about 3 weeks for a response. Flying out to Michigan in a few days to meet with hiring managers. (Haven't received an offer yet, but needed to pick an option).

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with someone who is difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was very straightforward. GM came to my school's career fair and I dropped of my resume. I was invited for an in person interview with two alumni. The interview was entirely to check fit and the questions were all cultural. They asked me to describe some of the projects I've worked on before but didn't press anything technical. Afterwards, I was quickly called by the manager of the group I would have worked on and he just described his role before asking if I had questions. It was a very swift process.

Powertrain Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

There was only one on campus behavioral interview, and that was it. I was interviewed by two engineers, who asked fairly standard questions regarding my interests, experience, and ambitions. At the end of the interview there were a few minutes for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a story of a time when your best just wasn't good enough   Answer Question