General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.8

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors in March 2010.

Interview

It was fine and nothing left to remember or say.

Global Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

Two one hour sessions with several people. After taking the day off. The job was given to an internal employee so there had no intention of hiring an "outsider". What a waste of time!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a total of 4 interviews: an initial pre-screen phone interview, a technical interview, a behavioral interview, and a final interview with the engineering manager. Overall everyone was very professional, and the whole process was a positive experience. There were no surprises or curve-balls during the interviews. Assuming you prepare and are qualified for the job, you will have no problem answering the questions that will come up.

Interview Questions

• No surprises; they asked me about my background, technical experience, and also some standard behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Situation based interview, typical questions and followup on answers. First there is 30 min phone interview with hiring manager which is oriented around getting to know you better with respect to what you put on the resume. Then there is two hour onsite interview with two managers. Interview questions are relatively standard. Probably differ with position you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to managing multiple responsibilities, solving engineering problems, managing conflicting assignments and team work   1 Answer

Tech Lead/Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 HR round first (30 mins), One technical Screening for an hour, 2 hours HireVU with Manager, and Director.
    The overall interview process went well. But the HR messed up with an offer letter from the initial discussions. Hence I have rejected the offer.

So, the moral is : My time is wasted due to not saying a good range of salary in the initial stage even though I mentioned the exact number lower-end what I am looking for. It is not just about money, it is about the overall experience. If HR told me the range in the first, then I would not consider the job interviews.

Finance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in February 2013.

Interview

Very tough selection process, I had the chance to interviewed with different managers and a Finance Director. Overall, it was an interesting experience because I had the chance to discuss Corporate Finance matters that affect regular activities in the FP&A and Treasury deparment.

Interview Questions

• Technical question regarding cash flow analysis, investment valuation and financial consolidation   1 Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (Parma, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with 2 sets of 2 individuals who each asked 4 questions relating to prior work experiences and how I handled them. Very relaxed atmosphere. Interviewers were at least one of the individuals you would be working for.

Interview Questions

• When I worked with someone I had an issue with how did I handle it ? What did I learn.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for various IT positions in Austin over the last year. (total of 4) If I was called by the recruiter after applying for a posting, the phone interview with a peer or hiring manager always happened. After a phone interview, 3 of the 4 times I was contacted by the recruiter that an existing internal candidate was taking the position as an internal transfer. One face to face interview (post phone interview) I met with 2 people in the IT team. Each asked a series of behavioral questions. The candidate response needed to include Action, Rationale, Outcome, Learning and Future Application. This response matrix makes it fairly difficult to respond briefly, so be prepared. Example: Tell me a time when you did something extra. Response must include what you did, why, the result, what you learned and then took that learning to a new company or project and improved upon it. A lot to cover with several questions in an hour interview. Sadly, when I met for the face to face, the hiring manager told me at the end of the discussion some 'horse trading' within the leadership occurred and the position was put on hold. GM has not hired much in Austin IT since September 2016 as a result. I would add, some of the phone screen people I have talked with have a condescending tone. I would hope any professional that is called upon to conduct peer interviews would be just that - professional. If someone doesn't understand your question, maybe it's your question. No need to act as if the candidate is an idiot. On the other end of the phone is a person who would like to make a career change and you hold the key. Think about that. Karma can be an SOB when the tables turn some day. I have heard the work life balance at GM is diminishing. They pay well and have very generous year end bonus packages. I would have liked to work there, but the bureaucracy getting in the door is becoming ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• When did you experience a lack of technical skills caused you a problem OR time when chosen to be on a project because of your technical knowledge. Tell me a time time when you came up with a process or procedure to solve a problem OR time when solved a problem twice since the first solution was not correct.   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

3 part, phone, drug & in person by plant leadership.In person was the challenging part since there was nothing given in advance to prepare for & they had a very wide range of options to chose from regarding questions.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving, given 3 different scenarios & how would you solve them.   Answer Question