General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

TRACK - Global Propulsion Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

Began during an on-campus career fair where I went by their booth and talked with a recruiter. The next day there was a networking dinner at a local restaurant. From there, we interviewed on campus with one manager and one recent hire. I got the call for final round interviews a month and a half after that. The final round process was a large event with around 50-75 other interviewees. The event included a networking dinner, multiple rounds of interviews and facility tours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision on a team   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

Applied online, my previous internship was in-line with the credentials. GM contacted me for a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was really easy to talk to the HR lady. Very nice, straight forward questions, nothing crazy. Just introduction type questions.

Phone/Video interview was set-up via email a couple days later, if I remember correctly. It was 10 min. of standard introduction questions, then 40 mins of STAR questions, for about an hour with one of the hiring managers. Then the interview was turned over to another hiring manager. Same types of questions, some where identical. 2 hours total. It was concluded that they liked me, but it turned out that they recommended me for a different department (I was happy after speaking with them, but had to start the process over).

Another Phone/video interview was set-up a couple weeks later.. but we couldn't get a particular time down. So I suggested that I would go in and do a person-to-person interview since I was at an internship at FCA (close by). I arrived at GM Tech Center, not very nervous just because I had been going to different interviews for the past month. I had my speech and Ideas down in my head for the STAR format.

The interview went well, almost identical to phone/video interview, but all the same questions, AND THEN SOME. I believe they actually added on different questions, knowing I had already been through an interview in a different department. I swear there was more questions for the on-site interview than on the telephone. Maybe this department was just more strict/or I became more nervous. I actually ran out of ideas in my head, and had to start thinking up new ones. It was tough, but I was as prepared as a could have been. Hiring manager was awesome, he actually helped me along as I talked through the questions. It's okay to take a minute to think. Just let them know you are thinking (like a game show lol).

An offer was delayed due to be not being able to accept it until I was almost ready to start working. Company policy to only have a small time period to accept. I accepted the position after pushing the offer letter off for 2 months. I had other offers but GM had the best pay/benefits/job responsibilities. Although, I didn't get an offer as a NASCAR driver, so this was the next best position.

Toughest interview process (probably because I went through 2 interviews for different departments), but very rewarding. Very happy with my decision to come to GM.

Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• You don't need an exact question.. Just Google STAR interview questions. Just be prepared to going through STAR.. AND THEN SOME. I mean, how can you apply what you have learned.. etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

the hiring process was challenging but the people who interviewed me we exceptional. Very smart, capable and interesting to talk to. I enjoyed our conversations and certainly would like to stay in touch.

Interview Questions

• what is more expensive, cost of capital or cost of debt?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I first applied for thre position through the website .Had the first interview over the phone. Lasted about 30 minutes. A week later, i had my 1:1 interview. Both interviews were fairly easy. The interviewers were also cool. Most interview questions are behavioral questions, with 1 or 2 position- related (technical) questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Smooth, called at first to set up an on site interview which consisted of two hours divided between two hiring managers, most of the questions were behavioral one to two questions were technical.

Materials Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Hill, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Spring Hill, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

Hands on simulation of work to be performed.................................We each recieved step by step instructions and the materials to build the parts. We where told to build as many parts as we could by following the instructions on each page (different steps on each page)and we where given 1 hour to do this. The production rate for this part is 36 parts per hour.

Interview Questions

• We each recieved step by step instructions and the materials to build the parts. We where told to build as many parts as we could by following the instructions on each page (different steps on each page)and we where given 1 hour to do this. The production rate for this part is 36 parts per hour.   1 Answer

Dre Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Chat at career fair, on campus interview, and 2 more interviews at engineering final rounds in Detroit. They really try hard to sell Detroit and do a great job. Unfortunately not my dream locations

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

applied online and got a call in a week. There was a short call with recruiter and she scheduled a call with hiring manager in a weeks times. Hiring manager was nice and the interview was based on STAR patter questions and few technical ones. Later on I got a call for Onsite / In person interview, It had 2 rounds, one with Hiring manager and other with Dev manager. Both had set of questions (STAR) pattern. Dev manager asked technical questions but related to my resume, nothing unexpected.
    Even though the interview went good but I never got a feedback or an offer. Recruiter was very positive but I don't know what happened later on.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time type questions like difficult time in project, have to convince your manager or have difficult time with team members.   1 Answer

T R A C K Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

First Interview was at my college and it was all behavioral questions. I had to discuss and elaborate on technical experience that I had on my resume. Was offered an onsite interview, was flown to Michigan and put up in an hotel. Had a semi-formal meet and greet with my interviewers for the next day the evening before the interviews. On the interview day,had two back to back 30-45 minute behavioral interviews, tour of the site and got to drive about 8 different models of cars manufactured by GM. Also drove a Camaro on a race track/slalom which was exhilarating. Pretty easy process. They got back to me the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Q. Tell me about a time you had to go above and beyond in solving an issue.
      Q Tell me about a time you had to resolve conflict at work
      Answer Question

Senior Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The first round involved a phone screen with HR, focused on a thorough examination of background and skill set. The HR contact had key skill sets that the hiring manager had identified. No behavior/situation questions. Initial phone screen was followed by an hour + phone interview with the hiring manager, again focused on skill set and experience.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have with (insert applicable Area of law)?   Answer Question