General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.8

Product Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Talked briefly to a recruiter at a career fair. Left my resume and got a call to schedule and interview the next day. Interviewer started by asking me why I wanted to work at GM. Then I was asked three basic behavioral interviewing questions. At the end I had plenty of time to ask questions.
    This was a "preliminary interview." I was told that if I was selected, there would be a second on-site interview with hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the requirements when delivering a product to the customer.   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with interviewer on my school campus for an interview after getting an interview from my campus recruiting event. All behavioral questions, and my interviewer was really nice and relatable (even confessed that he had only been with the company for 6 weeks at the time). Left the interview feeling really good, but didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to use different resources to solve a problem/question.   Answer Question

TRACK Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (South Bend, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

Back to Back 30 minute interviews, one behavioral one technical. The technical was very similar to the behavioral but asked two open ended accounting related questions. Interviewers were friendly and happy to talk about the company and their experiences and reasons for working there. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you reconcile an accountant?   Answer Question
    • What is a current event related to accounting that you think will have a large impact on accounting in the future?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tucson, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Attended a college career fair and got an in-person interview about a week later on the college campus. My interviewer asked about 4 or 5 behavioral questions (Describe a time when...) and 1 slightly technical question (how to check if a string is a palindrome), didn't even require the code just an overview of what the code would do. Overall a very good experience, I was very nervous and they were very positive and reassuring throughout the entire interview. I received a 2nd interview and I'm hoping the 2nd one goes just like the 1st!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to complete a project that you didn't know how to do, what steps did you take to accomplish the task?

Describe a time when you had to work with someone that was difficult to work with.

Describe how to check a string that is passed into a function and reject it if it reads the same forwards and backwards (a palindrome).
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through University career fair on a Wednesday. Received offer for interview within a few days, interviewed the next Monday. Fairly informal interview. One interviewer with little knowledge on the position being interviewed for. The company was very timely in informing me of my candidacy status. No second interview offered.

IT Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rexburg, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Rexburg, ID) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two interviews one that took place at my university and one that took place at another university in Utah. This was mainly proceeded through my school and it was how I found out about it in the first place

Interview Questions

• Name a scenario in which you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

Interview

I met with the recruiter at the job fair at my university. They seemed willing to interview anyone who said they were interested in software development, even though I repeatedly mentioned that my experience in software was lacking. They scheduled me for an interview the next week.

The first interview was great. It was one interviewer that asked three main behavioral questions and one technical coding question. There were other little basic interview questions also. This interviewer told me it was okay I didn't know code and let me answer the technical question theoretically. Got an email two days later for a second interview two weeks later.

The second interview was exactly the same format, but with different questions and a different person. However, this interviewer wanted me to do whiteboard coding and didn't let me answer the technical question theoretically. Because of this I got a rejection email the following week. So their interviewers seem to have different ideas about what candidates they are seeking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Are you interested in IT?
      Tell me about a time you had to do something right that was unpopular.
      What is your greatest accomplishment and how did you achieve it?
      Tell me about a project/job that has qualities that would benefit this position.
      Write a code to sort through a list of cars with the best mileage when some are in km/L and mpg.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at General Motors in May 2016.

Interview

I applied in 12/2015. I got a call 5/14/2016 to take my assessment. I did my phone interview 5/23 background check 5/24 drug test 5/26 I haven't received any more info

Interview Questions

• If someone on my line was moving slow and needed help what would I do   2 Answers

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Will never hear another word because I haven't worked in a Union shop. I live below the Mason/Dixon and Union's are as good as curse words here so I won't be able to work in a Union shop because I have never worked in a Union shop. Kinda' stupid in the era of being able to look up any piece of data on a device on your wrist. Laws and contracts are documents that anyone with a college degree should be able to READ and apply. HR experience is EXPERIENCE but some snot nosed MBA who has never even worked at Mikey D's is somehow MORE qualified? How is this possible?