General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.8

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

90 minute case study, the 4 30 minute interviews, one on the case, one technical, one about past experience and one about personality fit for GM. Each interview was with one/two interviewers. There were 8 candidates interviewing in the morning and another 8 in the afternoon. Interview in total ran from 07:30-12:30

Interview Questions

• If you were a car which make would you be and why?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online in response to a job posting. A little less than a week later I received a call from HR for a phone interview. I expected it to be typical questions of why you're looking, why do you want to work for GM, etc. He asked those questions, but there were also a lot of technical questions. That caught me off guard because I didn't expect them at that phase. I threw out a bunch of finance buzz words, ROI, IRR, maximize profit, etc. It was pretty clear he was typing down key words I mentioned.

Three days later I got a call to set up a phone interview with a finance manager. He asked behavioral and technical questions. He was very open with his interest and told me I would likely hear back from HR about scheduling travel arrangements to fly to Detroit for their "interview day."

Two days later HR emailed me about travel arrangements. I flew in for a half day interview session. There were several other candidates interviewing for similar positions at multiple locations. The day starts with 90 minutes to complete a case study by putting together a financial model in Excel, followed by 4, 30 minute interviews. 1) present case study 2) behavioral questions 3) GM Fit 4) technical questions.

Case study involved having to calculate the NPV of a new project and determining whether it would be a good investment.

They are looking for candidates for are "mobile" and have interest in future relocation. There are a lot of opportunities within GM. During your first phone interview, be candid about your salary requirements. I was offered exactly what I asked for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GM?   Answer Question
    • Make vs buy car part scenario. Answer quantitatively and qualitatively on whether you would make the part or choose to buy it.   Answer Question
    • What will help me remember you from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Name 3 words that describe your personal brand.   Answer Question
    • Describe dealing with a difficult co-worker. Describe a disagreement with your boss.   Answer Question

Android Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call with recruiter. There was no technical phone screening interview. I was asked to come in for a in person technical interview directly.

The technical interview lasted about 2 hours, with a 2 developers. They were chill and kept the interview casual and relaxed.

I was told to wait - there would be another behavioural interview if they decided to proceed. I had the behavioural interview soon after with 2 managers. I was asked something about handling conflict and dealing with ambiguity.

Interview Questions

• Since they work on porting the AOSP to work on a automotive setting, they had a lot of questions to ask about the theory of operating systems like heap vs stack, threads vs processes, deadlocks mutex and semaphores, etc.   Answer Question
    • Questions about the Java programming language itself. Intricacies about inheritance, static keyword, threading in Java, etc.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

easy ,mainly technical
    the interview process was simple .it was done in three stages.First was written test (technical + analytic) .Then there was a technical round followed by HR round.
    Hr round is behavioural round where they ask you ur strengths,weakness and future 5 year ,10 year plan and if you are willing to relocate or not.

Interview Questions

• technical question related to stress analysis,principle stress   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was pleasant and fast. Met with 3 managers of the lot and had 2 interviews. 3rd interview was surprisingly a job offer. The interview was very straight forward, really wanted to make sure you are very community friendly and an active member of society.

Interview Questions

• Do you have 100 people in mind you would be able to sell a car to?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. I took 3 months to get 1st interview. Phone Screen for one hour.Phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed 10 questions.
    After that they scheduled onsite interview for one day.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions and answers and some case study. Previous work experience and project related questions.   Answer Question

Senior Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in March 2014.

Interview

Started with phone screen, followed by a panel interview. It appears as though at least one of the panel interviewer is the hiring manager. Not too sure about others. They might be Managers from other area. That's my take. They have revamped their entire interview process. It's no longer the STAR system.

Interview Questions

• Describe your most difficult assignment and your role in it   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

End-to-end process took nearly 3 months. First step was a phone screening with HR to gather information to pass along to hiring manager/team. Second step was a phone interview with subject matter expert where they asked several standard HR behavior questions (situational) followed up with some background/experience questions. The final step was a 3-hour on site interview with a different subject matter expert and the hiring manager where they, once again, ask several standard HR behavior questions and talked in more detail about the position, my background and interests, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a user/group who is against using IT standard software?   3 Answers

Fresher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (Pune (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview was purely technical and recruiters are friendly in nature
    hr round is a nominal one if you clear technical round
    Any one who is strong in basics can get a job in GM
    Process is little cumbersome and would test candidates patience
    Any one with sound knowledge in basics and show enthu in learning would be picked from bunch easily
    You will enjoy learning in GM

Financial Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2012.

Interview

there was a 2 hour interview process, first interview was with 2 managers for 1 hour and the second was a one hour interview with 2 managers. most questions were situational based to get an understanding on how you interacr with others.