General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017
1,049 Interview Reviews

2.8

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in May 2014.

Interview

Very brief process. First I had a telephonic round and then I had a face-to-face interview. The difficulty level was high. I had to clear all the rounds with high technical proficiency. It was overall a great experience when I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your expectation out of the job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was really tough with in depth technical questions. The process took one day and I got selected during campus selection process. The interviewers were well versed with technical knowledge and grilled me in depth on each and every point in my resume.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

1 hr Behavioral Interview. Got recruited at the career fair, and they set up my interview in less than a week, so that was a quick process. Getting an actual assignment took a little longer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation you encountered and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Global Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

Two one hour sessions with several people. After taking the day off. The job was given to an internal employee so there had no intention of hiring an "outsider". What a waste of time!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a total of 4 interviews: an initial pre-screen phone interview, a technical interview, a behavioral interview, and a final interview with the engineering manager. Overall everyone was very professional, and the whole process was a positive experience. There were no surprises or curve-balls during the interviews. Assuming you prepare and are qualified for the job, you will have no problem answering the questions that will come up.

Interview Questions

• No surprises; they asked me about my background, technical experience, and also some standard behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Situation based interview, typical questions and followup on answers. First there is 30 min phone interview with hiring manager which is oriented around getting to know you better with respect to what you put on the resume. Then there is two hour onsite interview with two managers. Interview questions are relatively standard. Probably differ with position you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to managing multiple responsibilities, solving engineering problems, managing conflicting assignments and team work   1 Answer

Tech Lead/Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

1 HR round first (30 mins), One technical Screening for an hour, 2 hours HireVU with Manager, and Director.
    The overall interview process went well. But the HR messed up with an offer letter from the initial discussions. Hence I have rejected the offer.

So, the moral is : My time is wasted due to not saying a good range of salary in the initial stage even though I mentioned the exact number lower-end what I am looking for. It is not just about money, it is about the overall experience. If HR told me the range in the first, then I would not consider the job interviews.

Finance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in February 2013.

Interview

Very tough selection process, I had the chance to interviewed with different managers and a Finance Director. Overall, it was an interesting experience because I had the chance to discuss Corporate Finance matters that affect regular activities in the FP&A and Treasury deparment.

Interview Questions

• Technical question regarding cash flow analysis, investment valuation and financial consolidation   1 Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (Parma, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with 2 sets of 2 individuals who each asked 4 questions relating to prior work experiences and how I handled them. Very relaxed atmosphere. Interviewers were at least one of the individuals you would be working for.

Interview Questions

• When I worked with someone I had an issue with how did I handle it ? What did I learn.   1 Answer