General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The majority of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, however, both of my interviewers asked several technical questions as well. The technical questions consisted mostly of data structure and algorithm concepts.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of using an abstract class? Describe a situation when you would use an abstract class. When is an abstract class not the best choice?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

First phone interview with HR director followed by two one on one interviews.
    Informed that they are using STAR format by hr personnel via email before on-site interview.
    Few technical questions along the way.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you suggested. What you learned and how you applied...   Answer Question

Interview

Applied through university job website, Got called for an interview, interview was at the assembly plant HR and shift manager were interviewers, found out within a week if I got the position

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The interview process was amazing. Total of two (final round) interviews. They interviewer meets you a day in advance to break the ice. Both interviewers where nice and the interview felt like a meet and greet. Some questions where difficult to answer, but overall an amazing experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to show exceptional leadership skill.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you used yoI internship skills in real life.   Answer Question

Negotiation

GM offers very competitive compensation as an entry level position.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview with plant manager and Director for Chief Powerhouse Engineer position. I worked as a coop student while attending University of Memphis. My position was to maintain the facility, then I was promoted to engineer and finally senior engineer position. Enjoyed my time at GM.

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Two interviewers and the interview was pretty straightforward. Talk a little bit about the position and then they ask general questions, which are not part of the main questions. The interview then used some sort of interview questions that evaluate certain skills. They ask you the questions and then while you're talking they write down notes. Based on what they wrote down the decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Why GE?
      How did you find out about the position?
      One time you had to learn something on the spot
      One thing you regretted doing - hated that one
      Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors in January 2016.

Interview

Talked with the representatives at an on campus career fair, and was offered an on campus interview slot for the next day. It was a 2 on 1 interview that lasted half an hour. They asked mostly behavioral questions. Reps came off as kind of cold and uninterested from the start.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter to go over experience and qualifications. 2 weeks later, in person interviews with Quality management team (2 quality area managers, then 1 quality area manager and quality director) each about 45 minutes each,

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in the past that you had to change a process for the purpose of improving quality, and what difficulties you had.   2 Answers

Model-based Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

I was expecting technical interview but I got the standard STAR behavioral questions like give a time when you had a conflict with a teammate, how did you solve it? what did you learn? how did you apply it to other problems ?

Interview Questions

• give a time when you had many projects to work in a short time   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for various IT positions in Austin over the last year. (total of 4) If I was called by the recruiter after applying for a posting, the phone interview with a peer or hiring manager always happened. After a phone interview, 3 of the 4 times I was contacted by the recruiter that an existing internal candidate was taking the position as an internal transfer. One face to face interview (post phone interview) I met with 2 people in the IT team. Each asked a series of behavioral questions. The candidate response needed to include Action, Rationale, Outcome, Learning and Future Application. This response matrix makes it fairly difficult to respond briefly, so be prepared. Example: Tell me a time when you did something extra. Response must include what you did, why, the result, what you learned and then took that learning to a new company or project and improved upon it. A lot to cover with several questions in an hour interview. Sadly, when I met for the face to face, the hiring manager told me at the end of the discussion some 'horse trading' within the leadership occurred and the position was put on hold. GM has not hired much in Austin IT since September 2016 as a result. I would add, some of the phone screen people I have talked with have a condescending tone. I would hope any professional that is called upon to conduct peer interviews would be just that - professional. If someone doesn't understand your question, maybe it's your question. No need to act as if the candidate is an idiot. On the other end of the phone is a person who would like to make a career change and you hold the key. Think about that. Karma can be an SOB when the tables turn some day. I have heard the work life balance at GM is diminishing. They pay well and have very generous year end bonus packages. I would have liked to work there, but the bureaucracy getting in the door is becoming ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• When did you experience a lack of technical skills caused you a problem OR time when chosen to be on a project because of your technical knowledge. Tell me a time time when you came up with a process or procedure to solve a problem OR time when solved a problem twice since the first solution was not correct.   Answer Question