General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.8

IT Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rexburg, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Rexburg, ID) in September 2016.

Interview

There were two interviews one that took place at my university and one that took place at another university in Utah. This was mainly proceeded through my school and it was how I found out about it in the first place

Interview Questions

• Name a scenario in which you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tucson, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

I met with the recruiter at the job fair at my university. They seemed willing to interview anyone who said they were interested in software development, even though I repeatedly mentioned that my experience in software was lacking. They scheduled me for an interview the next week.

The first interview was great. It was one interviewer that asked three main behavioral questions and one technical coding question. There were other little basic interview questions also. This interviewer told me it was okay I didn't know code and let me answer the technical question theoretically. Got an email two days later for a second interview two weeks later.

The second interview was exactly the same format, but with different questions and a different person. However, this interviewer wanted me to do whiteboard coding and didn't let me answer the technical question theoretically. Because of this I got a rejection email the following week. So their interviewers seem to have different ideas about what candidates they are seeking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Are you interested in IT?
      Tell me about a time you had to do something right that was unpopular.
      What is your greatest accomplishment and how did you achieve it?
      Tell me about a project/job that has qualities that would benefit this position.
      Write a code to sort through a list of cars with the best mileage when some are in km/L and mpg.
      Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at General Motors in May 2016.

Interview

I applied in 12/2015. I got a call 5/14/2016 to take my assessment. I did my phone interview 5/23 background check 5/24 drug test 5/26 I haven't received any more info

Interview Questions

• If someone on my line was moving slow and needed help what would I do   2 Answers

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Will never hear another word because I haven't worked in a Union shop. I live below the Mason/Dixon and Union's are as good as curse words here so I won't be able to work in a Union shop because I have never worked in a Union shop. Kinda' stupid in the era of being able to look up any piece of data on a device on your wrist. Laws and contracts are documents that anyone with a college degree should be able to READ and apply. HR experience is EXPERIENCE but some snot nosed MBA who has never even worked at Mikey D's is somehow MORE qualified? How is this possible?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Wentzville, MO).

Interview

The interview progress was simple. First is a call letting you know to come in for your first interview with a group of people. Next you get a second call for drug test. Once you pass that you get to take a class on saftey. Then next day you go in to practice on some cars to get a general idea of how the line work. Than they throw you on any job that needs to be covered for the day.

Interview Questions

• Do you take any drugs and have any health issue   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

First was a HR related call about the company, pay and the entire interview process. Sounds nice so far...

Next, interview with the director of the department, professional.

OK, now I to the final interview.

First, the Recruiter of GM set it up for the wrong day and asked if I can reschedule immediately for a video interview the next day. Fine.
    Second, I was in the lobby 10 mins beforehand to make sure the equipment is working properly etc.
    The communication was by phone and cam for visual. The Lead of the department was about 10 mins late. When he called me up, it took him another 15 mins trying to get in the video lobby. Wouldn't you try this before you got on? He was never able to do it. Questions were behavioral. That was the first hour. Second hour was the Developer. So his camera did work and it was pointed at his belly. I was thinking, "what the...". During the discussion he was asking me about my interests. OK. This really doesn't really have anything to do with data integration but OK. Then he was talking about how in 2008 GM fired everyone. Pretty much putting the company down. During that point I let him know that my father was a GM executive and how I was from Detroit. He asked ,"Did he get fired"? I responded in a puzzled kind of way "No, he retired" What a strange question to someone you don't know. He eventually moved the video off his stomach at this point. Last he finally asked behavioral checklist.

This interview was unorganized, unprofessional slop. I'm stunned that this company is even functioning properly today. Time will tell.

Conclusion: I am happy I did not get an offer. I can't believe I wasted my life even being on the phone with these people. I learned nothing from this process.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. Situational. How did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Business Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

It was the STAR method. Completely behavioral with two rounds with employees within the department. They were very nice. Asked about technical capabilities along with experiences/instances stated within the resume.They also ask about how your academics applies to the position in general. It is very important to keep the conversation going and to ask about various positions within GM.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Romulus, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Romulus, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call to take written test and hands on disassemble then reassemble.... received congaradulations email still waiting for email to get background check and drug testing....

Interview Questions

• How would I help another employee if I see them having a difficult time?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

The manager rushed through the process. He seemed to think that he can figure out people within just a couple of minutes. There were not really any tricky technical questions. They were more concerned about fitting in so all the questions were the same for everyone. They tried to ask technical questions, but you can tell that they just care more about some skills than others.