General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 22, 2018
1,076 Interview Reviews

2.8

Finance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in February 2013.

Interview

Very tough selection process, I had the chance to interviewed with different managers and a Finance Director. Overall, it was an interesting experience because I had the chance to discuss Corporate Finance matters that affect regular activities in the FP&A and Treasury deparment.

Interview Questions

• Technical question regarding cash flow analysis, investment valuation and financial consolidation   1 Answer

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Motors (Parma, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with 2 sets of 2 individuals who each asked 4 questions relating to prior work experiences and how I handled them. Very relaxed atmosphere. Interviewers were at least one of the individuals you would be working for.

Interview Questions

• When I worked with someone I had an issue with how did I handle it ? What did I learn.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed for various IT positions in Austin over the last year. (total of 4) If I was called by the recruiter after applying for a posting, the phone interview with a peer or hiring manager always happened. After a phone interview, 3 of the 4 times I was contacted by the recruiter that an existing internal candidate was taking the position as an internal transfer. One face to face interview (post phone interview) I met with 2 people in the IT team. Each asked a series of behavioral questions. The candidate response needed to include Action, Rationale, Outcome, Learning and Future Application. This response matrix makes it fairly difficult to respond briefly, so be prepared. Example: Tell me a time when you did something extra. Response must include what you did, why, the result, what you learned and then took that learning to a new company or project and improved upon it. A lot to cover with several questions in an hour interview. Sadly, when I met for the face to face, the hiring manager told me at the end of the discussion some 'horse trading' within the leadership occurred and the position was put on hold. GM has not hired much in Austin IT since September 2016 as a result. I would add, some of the phone screen people I have talked with have a condescending tone. I would hope any professional that is called upon to conduct peer interviews would be just that - professional. If someone doesn't understand your question, maybe it's your question. No need to act as if the candidate is an idiot. On the other end of the phone is a person who would like to make a career change and you hold the key. Think about that. Karma can be an SOB when the tables turn some day. I have heard the work life balance at GM is diminishing. They pay well and have very generous year end bonus packages. I would have liked to work there, but the bureaucracy getting in the door is becoming ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• When did you experience a lack of technical skills caused you a problem OR time when chosen to be on a project because of your technical knowledge. Tell me a time time when you came up with a process or procedure to solve a problem OR time when solved a problem twice since the first solution was not correct.   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

3 part, phone, drug & in person by plant leadership.In person was the challenging part since there was nothing given in advance to prepare for & they had a very wide range of options to chose from regarding questions.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving, given 3 different scenarios & how would you solve them.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

Directly to interview process. Three rounds. two were technical and one HR. In technical they will ask about subjects based on my B.Tech and according to the candidates interest. They asked every question one linked to other. Overall they maintained a positive atmosphere during the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Mainly asked about automobile components - ABS, Cruise control, Control system used in those   Answer Question

SummerMBA Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New Orleans, LA) in October 2016.

Interview

Two back to back interviews at national black conference; attended networking event later that day; received feedback from HR two weeks later; both interviewers are from the finance department; interview questions are half behavioral and half technical

Interview Questions

• What would you consider if you need to price a new car?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

90 minute case study, the 4 30 minute interviews, one on the case, one technical, one about past experience and one about personality fit for GM. Each interview was with one/two interviewers. There were 8 candidates interviewing in the morning and another 8 in the afternoon. Interview in total ran from 07:30-12:30

Interview Questions

• If you were a car which make would you be and why?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online in response to a job posting. A little less than a week later I received a call from HR for a phone interview. I expected it to be typical questions of why you're looking, why do you want to work for GM, etc. He asked those questions, but there were also a lot of technical questions. That caught me off guard because I didn't expect them at that phase. I threw out a bunch of finance buzz words, ROI, IRR, maximize profit, etc. It was pretty clear he was typing down key words I mentioned.

Three days later I got a call to set up a phone interview with a finance manager. He asked behavioral and technical questions. He was very open with his interest and told me I would likely hear back from HR about scheduling travel arrangements to fly to Detroit for their "interview day."

Two days later HR emailed me about travel arrangements. I flew in for a half day interview session. There were several other candidates interviewing for similar positions at multiple locations. The day starts with 90 minutes to complete a case study by putting together a financial model in Excel, followed by 4, 30 minute interviews. 1) present case study 2) behavioral questions 3) GM Fit 4) technical questions.

Case study involved having to calculate the NPV of a new project and determining whether it would be a good investment.

They are looking for candidates for are "mobile" and have interest in future relocation. There are a lot of opportunities within GM. During your first phone interview, be candid about your salary requirements. I was offered exactly what I asked for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GM?   Answer Question
    • Make vs buy car part scenario. Answer quantitatively and qualitatively on whether you would make the part or choose to buy it.   Answer Question
    • What will help me remember you from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Name 3 words that describe your personal brand.   Answer Question
    • Describe dealing with a difficult co-worker. Describe a disagreement with your boss.   Answer Question

Android Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call with recruiter. There was no technical phone screening interview. I was asked to come in for a in person technical interview directly.

The technical interview lasted about 2 hours, with a 2 developers. They were chill and kept the interview casual and relaxed.

I was told to wait - there would be another behavioural interview if they decided to proceed. I had the behavioural interview soon after with 2 managers. I was asked something about handling conflict and dealing with ambiguity.

Interview Questions

• Since they work on porting the AOSP to work on a automotive setting, they had a lot of questions to ask about the theory of operating systems like heap vs stack, threads vs processes, deadlocks mutex and semaphores, etc.   Answer Question
    • Questions about the Java programming language itself. Intricacies about inheritance, static keyword, threading in Java, etc.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

easy ,mainly technical
    the interview process was simple .it was done in three stages.First was written test (technical + analytic) .Then there was a technical round followed by HR round.
    Hr round is behavioural round where they ask you ur strengths,weakness and future 5 year ,10 year plan and if you are willing to relocate or not.

Interview Questions

• technical question related to stress analysis,principle stress   Answer Question