General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.8

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Toledo, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

Horrible experience. The interview process was from an out sourced company . The lady doing the production assessment very rude . Phone interview I come from nursing so the question that were asked i really couldn't answer correctly. I feel like this is a waste of time if you don't have experience don't waste time

Autonomous Diagnostic Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had a reference from my post-secondary institution, which lead to a single on-site interview with 2 engineering managers at GM Canada in Oshawa, ON. The interviewer mentioned a second interview is possible, but not likely for most positions especially the one I was being interviewed for. Note that at the time of my application, GM was hiring for many new software engineers - you were indirectly applying for all open positions at the time.

The interview (if you have done your research) is very typical, GM "STAR/STARLA" based. There were no technical questions, all behavioural. The interview took about 1 hour, followed by a 15 minute tour of the facility. It starts with a typical resume review (tell me about yourself/this project/etc.), then followed by their 'formal' interview with behavioural questions. The questions I was asked went something like this (and from what I can tell, the questions asked are all a play on these questions in one form or another):

- What was a time you had a conflict with a colleague/peer? How did you resolve the issue?L
    - A time where you were given an ambiguous task and asked to complete it/a time where you had limited time to learn something?
    - What was a case where a colleague failed but you succeeded?
    - What was a time where results came out better than expected?
    - There was one last question that I don't quite remember, but it was extremely specific and quite difficult. I was allowed to answer a slightly easier variant of the question.

As some others have said on here - be prepared. Some of the behavioural questions (and especially their phrasing) make you really think for a specific example. The interviewer(s) will tell you at the beginning of each question what competency the question was 'testing'. Keep this in mind as you answer your questions. Google behavioural questions, and keep at LEAST 2 situations you can use per question. Then make the question more specific, and see if the examples you have in mind still work. The interviewers take notes as you talk, so they are expecting strong and detailed examples.

Connected Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in May 2012.

Interview

They flew me out to Detroit in order to interview you in person. They use the STAR Interview Method to ask questions about how you encountered and dealt with issues in previous jobs. I was interviewed twice by two different pairs of decision makers including my eventual boss.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

I didn't apply for the job since it wasn't posted anymore. The hiring manager got my resume after being passed on by a colleague of mine to someone internal at GM. I was called a few minutes afterwards by the hiring manager and had an informal interview on the phone. I went to the tech center a few weeks later for an on site interview with the mgr and two of his engineers. Questions follow Lominger and STAR format so they're behavioral mostly. If you know someone that works for the company already, it helps to get the interview questions ahead of time for practice.

After two weeks, I followed up with the hiring manager but he still had concerns about my skills. We had another informal phone interview and convinced him I was the best candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to solve a complex problem   Answer Question

Negotiation

My salary requirements were asked during the initial phone conversation. The high end of my range was offered and the benefits are already good so didn't really need to negotiate.

General Motors Response

May 20, 2016 – GM Careers Social Media & Video Strategist

Congratulations on accepting and beginning your new role at GM! The rigors of interviewing can sometimes be intimidating, so I'm glad to hear you felt confident throughout the process. Best of luck ... More

Applied Operations Research Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

First contacted through INFORMS. Then phone interview with managers, and then onsite visit. Very knowledgeable group. Had interesting questions throughout the onsite presentation. Got to meet with the whole group in one presentation at first and then afterwards went through the technical part and at the and talked in person with several junior researchers in the group to ask about their experience. The whole process was done very professionally and everyone was extremely friendly as though they all want you to definitely get the job unless you do something that proves the opposite.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical knowledge related to probability and statistics.   Answer Question

General Motors Response

May 20, 2016 – GM Careers Social Media & Video Strategist

Welcome to General Motors, and congratulations on starting your new role in Warren! Sounds like you did your fair-share of preparation for the interviewing process. That always helps! We hope you'll ... More

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

1. Interview with senior financial analyst 2. Interview with senior financial director
    3. Modeling test 4. Final interview

Total process was very strict and it is based on region you apply.
    First and second is phone interview and technical test is done by email.

Interview Questions

• Financial knowledges and fit interview   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Lansing, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Lominger based interview process. When preparing to interview candidates, first identify the competencies that someone needs in order to be successful in the position. With those identified, you can then create or select interview questions to focus on how the person has demonstrated this competency in the past. The best way to determine how
    someone will perform in the future is to find out how they have performed in the past.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

It was a lengthy process with no communication in between. It took 4 weeks between the phone interview with the recruiter to schedule the onsite interview and then another 4 weeks to hear back. The recruiting coordinator struggled with time zones and it took 3 emails to get a confirmation that one interview was scheduled in CT and the other, on the same day, was in ET.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a decision you made that you later regretted.   1 Answer

Production Line Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Motors (Arlington, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Took them a year to call me then setup my assessment test. Then we in amongst a group of strange individuals. Had an outside company test us and in my opinion they were not good at what they did

Interview Questions

• What would i do in a stressful work environment   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in April 2013.

Interview

Phone & In person. Submitted web app. Phone screen then a formal invite to Detroit for interview. Interview was 2 part panel. Lominger based format. Similar to STAR format. Questions are both easy and extremely difficult. They are situational based questions. Answers should be formatted to ACTIONS, THINKING, OUTCOME, LEARNINGS & APPLICATION.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a task that caused friction between yourself and a peer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation