General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a Phone interview, had to reschedule several times. Spoke on the phone with recruiter, asked basic question. Why GM? Tell me a time when... received another phone call several weeks later with a verbal offer.

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

3 part, phone, drug & in person by plant leadership.In person was the challenging part since there was nothing given in advance to prepare for & they had a very wide range of options to chose from regarding questions.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving, given 3 different scenarios & how would you solve them.   Answer Question

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Dearborn, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Gave my resume to GM at career fair at University,
    Got chosen 2 weeks later amongst other students. Did interview on a Friday and was 2 rounds consecutive to each other. First was with director and second was with 2 other employees in different departments.

STAR format Interview questions

And picking a scenario from a sheet and trying to explain how you would solve it (problem solving)

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you did something creative/innovative   1 Answer

Full Time Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Stanford, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Mostly STAR questions for the recruiters. I applied through a university job fair and was sent an email regarding an interview a couple days later. After the interview I waited about 3 weeks for a response. Flying out to Michigan in a few days to meet with hiring managers. (Haven't received an offer yet, but needed to pick an option).

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with someone who is difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied at a campus career fair and was interviewed on campus two days later, I was notified through email that I was selected for the interview process. I was then called back for a second interview at GM IT Center in Chandler, AZ. - I was also notified through email and they asked if I wanted to accept the scheduled interview. First interview was behavioral and was conducted by an alumni of the university, all the questions were scenario questions such as what would you do in a situation such as, was also asked about the different courses I took as a student. Second Interview was technical portion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Gives two tables in a database model - cars and customers. How would you link which cars belonged to which customer.   1 Answer
    • How would you sort a car list by MPG? what would you use?   1 Answer
    • What are the resources you would use if you are stuck with a difficult problem?   Answer Question
    • If you were part of a team maintaining and supporting an application, and a client calls describing that the application is not working, how would you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

There were two in person interviews over the course of 2 weeks. The first focused on personality questions and had one technical question. The second had no technical questions but asked about scenarios I had encountered in the past.

Overall it was a positive experience however I was disappointed in the second interview. The interviewer was supposed to come with notes from the first interviewer but did not. The second interview went well but there was one BIG issue. The interviewer told me he was submitting my name for a job (not that I would get an offer, but that my name would be in the pool). I then followed up with the first interviewer (he was the more knowledgeable of the two) and was informed that when they averaged my scores, I did not meet the minimum criteria. It was two weeks after my second interview that I received this news so it was upsetting to hear that I was never actually submitted for a job at all. I worry that my expectations could have been better handled if the second interviewer had reviewed the notes of the first interviewer.

Once I wasn't offered a position I asked what I could do to make myself more attractive in the future and was given some great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical Question: A company wants to find a name for their company but it cannot be a palindrome. How would you write a program that ensures that a palindrome is not used? Tell me like you are speaking to your grandmother.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at GM?   Answer Question
    • What trending IT technology have you used to solve a problem in your life/during school?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the website, and they emailed me after a week or two. They first scheduled me for a phone call with a recruiter to discuss my background, why I wanted to work for GM, and give me some very general information about what the position was.
    Then I had a skype interview with an engineer, who seemed to be confused at what the role actually was. Apparently HR didn't give him the job posting so he seemed really confused at what to ask me. he ended up just going over my resume and seeing if what I did before was relevant.
    After that, they wanted to schedule me for a on site, but I was out of the country at the time, and they didn't want to pay to fly me out. So I had another skype interview with two hiring managers who asked me STAR questions.
    After that, they told me they'd have an answer within 2 weeks, but this was right before the holidays so I got nothing. Emailed the recruiter after the holidays, he told me they were still deciding. I emailed them twice after that, and both emails were ignored. I thought they'd at least have the professional courtesy to tell me that I was rejected, instead of ignoring my emails.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguous projects?
      What was your greatest success?
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with someone.
      Answer Question

Vehicle Diagnostics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Two representatives conducted the interview. They started by going over the resume and asking some questions about the past experiences. The next part was STAR format questions, where they asked me to be very specific with the answers.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a negative experience with a co-worker?   Answer Question

See What General Motors Employees Are Saying

Star Star Star Star Star   Current Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros: “Their IT sector transformed immensely. GM seems to have taken past mistakes and downturns seriously and put effort in 2011 to transform the company. They insourced 90% of IT within these...”“Their IT sector transformed immensely. GM seems to have taken past mistakes and downturns seriously and put effort in 2011 to transform the company. They insourced 90% of IT within these past 5 years, growing IT employee count from 2000 in 2011 to 12000 now, which is AMAZING With that, there's a sense of stability and positivity the company is going in right direction. Flexibility, work life balance is really good (so far at least), two vehicle discounts (unlike other auto companies who give just one), and pretty relaxing environment...very nice buildings and campus Last but not least, the technology is very new...they even give new laptops, and are in the process of upgrading to Windows 10. One of the most amazing things I've seen in my life are the data centers hosting the servers...magnificent architecture! Lastly, the hierarchy for the company is pretty short, which is really good. It feels like you're just 2 steps away from the CEO” – Full Review