General Motors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.8

Engineer Interview

Interview

Met with one person. We went through a typical introduction including who they were and what their role in the company was. Then we reviewed my CV and discussed my experience. Then they ask questions (typical STAR interview), they wrote down notes on your responses, and then you could ask questions.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online in response to a job posting. A little less than a week later I received a call from HR for a phone interview. I expected it to be typical questions of why you're looking, why do you want to work for GM, etc. He asked those questions, but there were also a lot of technical questions. That caught me off guard because I didn't expect them at that phase. I threw out a bunch of finance buzz words, ROI, IRR, maximize profit, etc. It was pretty clear he was typing down key words I mentioned.

Three days later I got a call to set up a phone interview with a finance manager. He asked behavioral and technical questions. He was very open with his interest and told me I would likely hear back from HR about scheduling travel arrangements to fly to Detroit for their "interview day."

Two days later HR emailed me about travel arrangements. I flew in for a half day interview session. There were several other candidates interviewing for similar positions at multiple locations. The day starts with 90 minutes to complete a case study by putting together a financial model in Excel, followed by 4, 30 minute interviews. 1) present case study 2) behavioral questions 3) GM Fit 4) technical questions.

Case study involved having to calculate the NPV of a new project and determining whether it would be a good investment.

They are looking for candidates for are "mobile" and have interest in future relocation. There are a lot of opportunities within GM. During your first phone interview, be candid about your salary requirements. I was offered exactly what I asked for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GM?   Answer Question
    • Make vs buy car part scenario. Answer quantitatively and qualitatively on whether you would make the part or choose to buy it.   Answer Question
    • What will help me remember you from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Name 3 words that describe your personal brand.   Answer Question
    • Describe dealing with a difficult co-worker. Describe a disagreement with your boss.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through university recruitment by General Motors. I applied through my college career website and I got a call for my face to face interview. There were 2 rounds of interview. Both rounds were behavioral. Interviewers were friendly. After the interview, I was asked to wait for HR response about the result. After a week, I got an email to apply for the position online and I am now waiting for HR reply. I will update once I get a reply from them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you made was unpopular and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

easy ,mainly technical
    the interview process was simple .it was done in three stages.First was written test (technical + analytic) .Then there was a technical round followed by HR round.
    Hr round is behavioural round where they ask you ur strengths,weakness and future 5 year ,10 year plan and if you are willing to relocate or not.

Interview Questions

• technical question related to stress analysis,principle stress   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

The interview was more about the experience that I already had, there was a small portion about what I knew. It seemed like it was more important that I had experience in the industry.

Summer Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was scheduled for 30 minutes but ran about 45 minutes. I interviewed with 2 interviewers at the PRSSA national conference- one male, one female. They tried to make the interview conversational. The interviewers were nice- they took notes the whole time. Interview questions were behavioral and in STAR format. About a month/month and a half later I had another interview, this one quick, with three others. It lasted about 15 minutes. I had to call in to a conference call and their was a lag on the line which made it very awkward and uncomfortable. They asked me why I wanted to work their again and what I could contribute to the company. Another month later I received an email that I didn't get the internship.

Interview Questions

• If you could change one mistake that you had made while contributing to a project, what would it be?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tempe, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

College recruitment. I scheduled my first interview during the career fair in Tempe Arizona which ended up being a week later. It was an hour long interview which for the most part was behavioral questions just to see how you would fit into the company. There there was also one somewhat technical question towards the end. The interview was conducted on campus by a recruiter who had gone through the same process 3 years ago so that was nice. A week later I got scheduled for my second interview which I am yet to attend.

Interview Questions

• What is a palindrome and I had to write a simple function to determine if a String was a palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    • describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a team mate while working on a school project (since I have listed I didn't have any relevant work experience)   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Lubbock, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

90 minute interview, 45 minutes with two separate people. Asked several competency questions and then left 15 minutes (each) for me to ask questions. Expecting to get an offer in 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you made the right decision even though it was unpopular with your co-workers/fellow students.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you struggled with something and explain how you overcome that challenge.   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I went to my school's career fair and they signed me up for an interview right there. The actual interview was very short and easy; it was just a lot of behavorial questions, all of them about describing a time/situation and how you reacted to that given situation. I received a callback for a second round interview but have not done that yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time and what you did when you were unsure/unable to complete a project.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Provo, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

Met the GM reps at the career fair in Provo, Utah and got an interview with them that day. It lasted for about 45 minutes and we discussed several behavioral questions with one technical question. Then, was contacted a few weeks later and scheduled a video interview for a few days later. The video interview was more of a conversation asking me about past experiences with projects and developing software. Mostly behavioral questions with a few kind-of technical aspects to them. Overall, an extremely pleasant and relax experience. After the interview, the IT rep said they'd accept me so just waiting for the letter. We'll see how it goes when the letter comes.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a function that determine if a word is a palindrome?   Answer Question
    • Other behavioral questions- past projects, teamwork, reaction and response to disagreements, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Will definitely negotiate pay