General Motors Manufacturing Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Manufacturing Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI).

Interview

Applied online, my previous internship was in-line with the credentials. GM contacted me for a 20-30 minute phone interview. It was really easy to talk to the HR lady. Very nice, straight forward questions, nothing crazy. Just introduction type questions.

Phone/Video interview was set-up via email a couple days later, if I remember correctly. It was 10 min. of standard introduction questions, then 40 mins of STAR questions, for about an hour with one of the hiring managers. Then the interview was turned over to another hiring manager. Same types of questions, some where identical. 2 hours total. It was concluded that they liked me, but it turned out that they recommended me for a different department (I was happy after speaking with them, but had to start the process over).

Another Phone/video interview was set-up a couple weeks later.. but we couldn't get a particular time down. So I suggested that I would go in and do a person-to-person interview since I was at an internship at FCA (close by). I arrived at GM Tech Center, not very nervous just because I had been going to different interviews for the past month. I had my speech and Ideas down in my head for the STAR format.

The interview went well, almost identical to phone/video interview, but all the same questions, AND THEN SOME. I believe they actually added on different questions, knowing I had already been through an interview in a different department. I swear there was more questions for the on-site interview than on the telephone. Maybe this department was just more strict/or I became more nervous. I actually ran out of ideas in my head, and had to start thinking up new ones. It was tough, but I was as prepared as a could have been. Hiring manager was awesome, he actually helped me along as I talked through the questions. It's okay to take a minute to think. Just let them know you are thinking (like a game show lol).

An offer was delayed due to be not being able to accept it until I was almost ready to start working. Company policy to only have a small time period to accept. I accepted the position after pushing the offer letter off for 2 months. I had other offers but GM had the best pay/benefits/job responsibilities. Although, I didn't get an offer as a NASCAR driver, so this was the next best position.

Toughest interview process (probably because I went through 2 interviews for different departments), but very rewarding. Very happy with my decision to come to GM.

Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• You don't need an exact question.. Just Google STAR interview questions. Just be prepared to going through STAR.. AND THEN SOME. I mean, how can you apply what you have learned.. etc.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Met with an alumni at the career fair and talked to her about different opportunities. She called me within 5 days to set up an on campus interview. The interview was all behavioral using the STAR method. Two people were there, one took notes and one asked questions. Very nice and easy flowing conversation

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked on something for a long time and it failed. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (West Lafayette, IN) in February 2016.

Interview

Met with recruiter at college career fair. Received a phone call from the recruiter that same night. Was scheduled for an interview the next day on campus. A week later received a phone call from an HR rep who gave me the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to overcome adversity?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you showed valuable leadership qualities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Columbus, OH) in January 2016.

Interview

They wanted the STAR format, but added another two steps to it. That was fine but after each step of the STAR+2, the interviewer stopped me and wrote down what I said and I sat there in silence for that time. This happened for each step and for 3 times. It was an awkward interview.

Interview Questions

• Give us a situation when you had a problem, how did you handle it, why, what did you learn from it and how did you apply that lesson to a different situation.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors in October 2014.

Interview

Behavioral. STAR format. Interviewers were very nice and casual. Second round interview was also similar but just longer. Took only about a week to get my second offer. Took about two weeks to get an offer after the second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

I met a college recruiter through a career expo at my univesity. We set up a time for me to interview after 10 - 15 minutes of conversation. I was getting an interview with a manager at one of there plants. This person was different that the one who initially interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a time where you had to learn something quickly
         2. Tell me a time where you had to use incomplete data to perform task
         3. Tell me a time where you exceeded your own expectations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Three separate interviews with 2 people each that took the entire day. Intense headache afterwards. Each session asked the same questions so I had to concentrate to make sure that I responded accordingly. I suppose that was a way to make sure that what I said is truthful. Nevertheless, an intense headache was present after the interviews were complete.

Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Parma, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

Very easy behavioral interview. Basic questions included geographical questions.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)).

Interview

Just did an English and a quantitative test and then did an interview with the manager of the area. Both tests were not difficult and you should be prepared for the interview.

( Manufacturing Engineer ) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madīnat Sittah Uktūbar (Egypt)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Madīnat Sittah Uktūbar (Egypt)) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was on 3 phases: English Test, HR interview, Technical Interview.
    The English Test and the HR interview were mainly to measure your English level and your personality.
    The Technical interview was a little bit difficult. Most questions was about Lean manufacturing, Six sigma and Quality charts.

Interview Questions

• What is lean manufacturing ? and the 7 wastes ?   Answer Question
    • What is 5s and how to implement it ?   1 Answer