General Motors Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 19, 2016

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

College recruiter came to school , after I turned my resume they call me and gave me an interview at school, it was 30 mi individual interview with a lady and basically it was a behavioral interview . she went over my resume, asked My GPA and hen started some question about motivations and behavior.

Interview Questions

• why do you like auto industry?   Answer Question
  • Describe one of the difficulty you faced and how handled it?(not academic problem)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

GM Powertrain was a late addition to our on campus engineering career fair. Met with an engineer who was helping to recruit students. She was nice, but the interaction was awkward and I thought that was the end of my interaction with GM. Several hours later...she called me to schedule and on campus interview.

The on campus interview was a Lominger style interview session, similar to STAR. 3 questions relating past experiences. I felt like this went well, then didn't hear anything for 6-7 weeks.

After the delay, I received an email stating I made the final rounds sessions at the world headquarters in Detroit. This was a 2 day session that included networking, dinner, staying in downtown Detroit, then interviews and tours the next day. The interviews were with 2 more hiring managers that asked similar Lominger style questions.

They called us back the day after the interviews to let us know their decision

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you communicated something and later had to revise the communication

Tell me about a time you made a quick decision that turned out to be a good decision

Tell me about a time you had to work with people from multiple backgrounds/skills
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

They came to campus recruiting, met at the career fair and was scheduled for a 1 on 1 interview the following day. 3-4 behavioral STAR questions and heard back in a week that I made it to the final round in Michigan. Was an awesome experience over the two days. Seems like the company is heavily investing in new young talent and is on the up swing.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to convince a person of authority that your viewpoint was the correct one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Just like other college career fair, talked with a representitive for a while, and then I got an interview the next day. The recruiter was helpful, questions was just behavioural questions. They were trying to guide me when answer the questions. I was also given chance to ask questions. There were two people interviewing me. One seems like an engineer. Another looks like he is from HR department.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

the process started with a behavioral interview. The interviewer seemed interested but rushed at the same time like he had heard it all before. There were only three questions and it seemed like it didn't really get the entire picture.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It was a very friendly and casual interview. All of the questions asked were in the STAR format. The only step in the interview process was an approximately 30 minute phone interview.

Change of major

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Stanford, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Met GM at career fair and they offered me an interview the next day. I interviewed and then kept in contact with recruiters for the next month. They gave me an offer in November through a phone call and email. Overall positive experience. I presume the full time hires require more levels of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the challenges you faced? What are you most proud of on your resume?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Multiple STAR interview style questions. Overall a satisfactory experience, however it was not really useful in terms of determining skill set or ability. The company comped the flight and hotel stay which was much appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you failed to meet a deadline?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed for the powertrain engineering position at the powertrain facility in Pontiac. There was a phone interview then they flew me into Michigan for the second interview. Both interviews were more behavioral than technical, which seemed odd. The second round interviews were with two different managers, both were about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone who was not of the same culture/country   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in April 2012.

Interview

Initially, I was contacted by a hiring manager and asked a series of background and employment eligibility questions. Later, I had two interviews with engineering managers in various groups. The interview questions were largely behavioral/situational in nature. I was offered a position the following week. Both a hiring manager and engineering group manager contacted me the same week.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you made a decision that you later regretted.   1 Answer