General Motors Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.5

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

It was fairly easy interview. HR round was a cake walk. Technical round involved 3 levels with third being toughest. They asked me indepth knowledge of IC engines.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed for the powertrain engineering position at the powertrain facility in Pontiac. There was a phone interview then they flew me into Michigan for the second interview. Both interviews were more behavioral than technical, which seemed odd. The second round interviews were with two different managers, both were about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone who was not of the same culture/country   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Just like other college career fair, talked with a representitive for a while, and then I got an interview the next day. The recruiter was helpful, questions was just behavioural questions. They were trying to guide me when answer the questions. I was also given chance to ask questions. There were two people interviewing me. One seems like an engineer. Another looks like he is from HR department.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

GM Powertrain was a late addition to our on campus engineering career fair. Met with an engineer who was helping to recruit students. She was nice, but the interaction was awkward and I thought that was the end of my interaction with GM. Several hours later...she called me to schedule and on campus interview.

The on campus interview was a Lominger style interview session, similar to STAR. 3 questions relating past experiences. I felt like this went well, then didn't hear anything for 6-7 weeks.

After the delay, I received an email stating I made the final rounds sessions at the world headquarters in Detroit. This was a 2 day session that included networking, dinner, staying in downtown Detroit, then interviews and tours the next day. The interviews were with 2 more hiring managers that asked similar Lominger style questions.

They called us back the day after the interviews to let us know their decision

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you communicated something and later had to revise the communication

Tell me about a time you made a quick decision that turned out to be a good decision

Tell me about a time you had to work with people from multiple backgrounds/skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

They came to campus recruiting, met at the career fair and was scheduled for a 1 on 1 interview the following day. 3-4 behavioral STAR questions and heard back in a week that I made it to the final round in Michigan. Was an awesome experience over the two days. Seems like the company is heavily investing in new young talent and is on the up swing.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to convince a person of authority that your viewpoint was the correct one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

College recruiter came to school , after I turned my resume they call me and gave me an interview at school, it was 30 mi individual interview with a lady and basically it was a behavioral interview . she went over my resume, asked My GPA and hen started some question about motivations and behavior.

Interview Questions

• why do you like auto industry?   Answer Question
    • Describe one of the difficulty you faced and how handled it?(not academic problem)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Berkeley, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

College recruiting event where hiring managers came on campus to hire prospective interns in two weeks. First step was meeting the hiring team at the career fair, then they would decide whether or not to give an interview slot.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors in July 2010.

Interview

There is a phone interview last one hour. They asked my background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Pontiac, MI) in April 2012.

Interview

Initially, I was contacted by a hiring manager and asked a series of background and employment eligibility questions. Later, I had two interviews with engineering managers in various groups. The interview questions were largely behavioral/situational in nature. I was offered a position the following week. Both a hiring manager and engineering group manager contacted me the same week.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you made a decision that you later regretted.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ingersoll, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Ingersoll, ON (Canada)) in January 2012.

Interview

Initially I was required to send my resume, cover letter and transcript. I received the interview call through my University (UOIT) as well and the interview was on campus as well. The interview was about an hour with a two person panel. Several questions were asked relative to resume experience. Some of the behavioral questions were also crafted from the resume. No technical or as such difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• The interview was mostly behavioral questions, with cliche questions like, what would you do if you are assigned with multiple tasks and What relative experience and skills do you have for this position.   Answer Question