General Motors Interview Questions in Michigan | Glassdoor

2.9

268 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI).

Interview

It was a great interview they saw the people could apply for the interview were qualified professionally or they were good to handle things that are difficult .How they tackle the different situations.

Interview Questions

• HOw dofind the life to be interesting?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

Talked and resume-drop with recruiters during campus career fair. I was invited to an on-campus interview the same week. The final round interviews took place in Detroit a couple weeks later.

Interview Questions

• All were behavioral/experience based. No technical interviews   1 Answer

GPS Track Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in November 2017.

Interview

I was called for a Final Round Interview where all candidates flew to MI and they are extremely friendly and want to make sure all your questions are answered and that you feel comfortable and welcomed. The interviews were behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• A time where I had to work with people from other departments.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very professional and very well laid out. Met with them from an on campus event, interviewed with them on campus, and then they contacted me a week later to fly me out to Detroit to go through a process there. In Detroit there was a networking event, and then an interview event. Interview was with two managers, 8 question, and was all behavioral and pretty easy. Got job offer next day and accepted.

Finance TRACK Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a campus recruiter and brought in for a first round interview on campus. For the second round, we were brought to Detroit for a Finance Super Weekend that consisted of a 90 minute case study and panel and four back-to-back interviews.

Take II Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for Take 2 Intern position which is specifically for experienced women who had to take a break on their career, stay at home and fulfill family needs.
    I had a phone screening, more like a 30 min interview with some regular and some interesting questions. Ex; I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.
    After a short time of interview the interviewer told me that my English is very well although I have been in the U.S for 8 years. I was surprised with that curiosity because 8 years is a long time to learn a language while living in the country especially with the fact that I completed an MBA degree with 4.00 GPA in the U.S. and 1 year work experience after that. (In total I have 6 years experience including one of fortune 500 companies)
    The interviewer told me that I am a very strong candidate and probably I will get the second interview in house. You can imagine how excited and happy I was.
    I completed online assessment and shortly after I received an e mail. My second round interview was going to be 6 weeks later! I was extremely happy to be able to express my accomplishments and enthusiasm so I spent my 6 weeks to research, prepare and think about that interview.
    On the interview day, I met with two different team and they were looking for 5 “Take 2” interns for the Fall session. Great opportunity! I thought I could get one of the positions since I had great accomplishments, (MBA graduation with 4.00 GPA, promoting in 3 months, solving many challenging problems successfully, professional look, polite attitude, etc.)
    The first interview started again with them mentioning my “fluent English”. For some reason I felt awkward that they kept emphasizing the language; I didn’t apply for a PR position, only an intern position in Finance. Shouldn’t my accomplishments be more important than my English? Please consider that they are looking for a person who stays at home for at least 5 years, and for a foreign person it could be very challenging to keep the language at the same level in that time.
    Again during these two interviews I had only couple of expected questions but most of them were unusual and about personal relationship. In one example I mentioned that I delegated a duty to my co worker in order to meet due dates of two different assignment. They were curious how I selected the person to delegate. I replied that I taught everything they know so I know their abilities. (I don’t think there were satisfied with that answer)
    Most of the questions were about the personal relationship instead of how I processed the problems, come up with creative solutions and how much time and money were saved for the company.
    At the end of 2 interviews I was asked at least 15-20 questions that are not related to my previous experience, knowledge and abilities.
    Finally when they called me to say I wasn’t selected, they told there are 4 different areas they consider. The reason I wasn’t selected because I was weak on communication skills. I was extremely sorry to hear that I wasn’t selected so I didn’t think about asking that what about the other 3 areas you didn’t find me weak? Was this the most important one to be considered?
    They recommended me to have more interviews and try to apply for Take 2 Winter session like I get interviews everyday as a person who is both foreign and has gap of 5 years on her career.
    When I think about how they emphasize about English knowledge I feel like I wasn’t selected because I am foreign.
    One month later a friend of mine had an interview at GM for a Manager position that requires 8+ years experience in a department other than Finance. He said he only got regular STAR LA questions nothing more. Apparently the interviewer was wondering his accomplishments rather than his relationship with his co-workers while selecting a high level team member.

P.S. I also had an interview with FCA for a mid-level position that requires 5+ years experience. Interview went very well. Their questions were more related to my background and experience. They were trying to understand my skills more than GM did.

Hope this will help you
    Good luck!

Interview Questions

• I was promoted in 3 months at my last job and the interviewer asked me if my co-workers were jealous about it.   Answer Question

Global Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

Two one hour sessions with several people. After taking the day off. The job was given to an internal employee so there had no intention of hiring an "outsider". What a waste of time!

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen, standard. I was then sent an online assessment that was part logic test and part personality test. There was then an on-site interview.

GM seems to have a standard company-wide format that they use for their interviews. This means that, as said in other reviews, there are two interviewers essentially reading from a list of behavioral questions for an hour each. A couple of the questions even sounded like they were designed with factory workers in mind, but I was able to work in an appropriate response related to software development. I knew going in that recalling minor incidents from the past several years on the spot is a weakness of mine, so what I did was make flash cards with every possible behavioral question I could find, thought of as many stories as I could for each one and studied the flash cards for a couple weeks (was useful for other companies as well). This worked very well and I recommend it if you're at all like me. There were some technical questions with the remaining time which were all language-specific, ranging from very basic to more trivia type questions. Most developers who just recently learned Java and OOP should be able to answer all these questions, so they did nothing to differentiate between a junior position and the senior-level position.

Overall, my take was that GM is a very traditional auto company and their interview process is no exception. I felt that the interviewers' hands were tied by the format and they end up having to extrapolate a lot from limited information, especially regarding technical ability (as opposed to just knowledge).

Interview Questions

What ended up happening for me is that I was offered a lower position than the one interviewed for, and a salary that looked to be just incremented a set amount from the current salary I had provided (and which didn't take into account total comp). I felt it would be good for someone with less experience. The main lesson I took away, which many of you probably know already is to never provide current salary info to any company. No reputable company will make you provide it (and certain states are making it illegal to ask), especially for software developers since you have the leverage in todays job market.

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).   1 Answer