General Motors Interview Questions in Michigan | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.9

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Very good process. Quick and efficient. Incredible turnaround. Very reasonable in asking ur expectations and doing the best to place you where you had your interests. Acquisition center is amazing!!! Really enjoyed the process. Very relaxed environment. Very transparent about opportunities and how they assume you will grow in the organization. Interview was structured yet mostly just a group conversation which I liked.

Interview Questions

• Why I was leaving my employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

They didbt leave a lot of opportunity to negotiate. That was my only dislike. However, they need to maintain the speed of interview to offer acceptance process.

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the iOS engineer interviewing process over at GM / OnStar so I figured it might be useful to recap my experience so the next candidate (i.e. you) will have a better idea of what to expect for when you walk in the door.

The way the interview worked was that there were two lead developers in a single room with me along with the hiring manager (i.e. a panel interview of sorts). One of the devs gave me a laptop with Xcode on it and asked me to come up with a simple no-interface iOS app that describes a typical game of bowling. In other words, given two raw API names (e.g. “roll” and “score”), how would one implement this using TDD?

They were immediately not impressed with my efforts because the definition of their demo project was so vague, I had to ask (apparently too many) questions to try to get some clarification and focus out of the developers interviewing me. Prior to the programming test, they also asked me to describe how I would remote start a car via the Apple Watch and they definitely did not like my answer on the white board there either.

In terms of the environment that I saw, the cramped floor of the RenCen seemed mostly full of offshore agency contractors fresh off the boat, but they do also source a lot of local contractors via DetroitLabs. The programming process that was described to me sounded like peer programming, where two developers are working on any one task at any one time. One positive thing was that they said they do have mildly flexible hours (where some folks come in early and others arrive as late as 10 a.m.), so anything to get around the rush hour gridlock that accurately describes all the expressways leading into downtown would be a good thing.

If I had a chance to do this interview again, I would probably bone up on doing a demo app entirely via tests. I’d also probably ask less questions and let the interviews do the driving.

Hopefully my experience flunking the iOS Developer interview process at GM/OnStar will help you to prepare for yours. If you find any of my information useful, please let me know by clicking on the “helpful” link below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible in my interview reports. Good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a minimal game of bowling in Xcode using TDD?

The only API’s you need to implement are “roll” (a ball) and “score” (to get the current score).
      1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied through my college's career fair. I had known my interviewers perviously, as I had worked with them throughout the semester in my school's capstone class. I only had one interview time, but during that time slot I had two separate interviews with two different people. Both asked mainly behavioral questions. The process took about one hour. Did not hear back yet, as it was two days ago, but will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• How did you build a relationship with a person in a stressful environment?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Apply through the Website and got a call after one 2 days from GM recruiter, then set up the interview with the hiring manager. about a one-hour phone interview. then I got an email from them that they select another candidate for this job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging thing you have done at work and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

First phone interview with HR director followed by two one on one interviews.
    Informed that they are using STAR format by hr personnel via email before on-site interview.
    Few technical questions along the way.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you suggested. What you learned and how you applied...   Answer Question

Assembly Line Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Interview

The process took 2-3 weeks applied online went in for testing September 6th. You have to do mock assembly. It was simple all you needed to do was follow directions and try to achieve 36 set ups. Then initial on customer order sheet everytime you finish one set up and when the customer order is fulfilled you sign your name. Then you're given a sheet to fill out your name and you circle in your answers on a paper asking what you think would help make the assessment easier that wouldn't interfere with the safety. Then you're to fill out a 96 question questionnaire it is opinionated there is no right or wrong answer you then fill out another paper asking what shifts you would be interested in. I had my interview September 7th over the phone and you're asked three questions two of the questions are about your past experiences within the last five years and the third is a hypothetical question. I received an email September 8th that I didn't score high enough to be considered for employment. My family has worked here since gm had first started my mother works here my husband works here my grandparents retired out of gm it runs in my blood and I don't understand how I have failed....

Interview Questions

• There are five group members and five machines one of the machines being more difficult and one of your group members is on that machine having problems and it is backing up your line how would you solve the problem?   1 Answer

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Personnel Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Blanc, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Grand Blanc, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

2 hour interview process - the questions were not difficult, however, they do use the STAR process so be prepared for examples. Each interview had two interviewees. Overall, it was a good experience but I recommend practicing so you're not caught off guard with the questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to stand up to someone of authority   Answer Question