General Motors Interview Questions in Milford, MI | Glassdoor

2.6

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

Entire interview consisted of being grilled with STARLA questions read from a list for an hour. (Yes, STARLA, not just STAR, so be prepared to come up with TWO stories for every question.) Not conversational at all; interviewers seemed disinterested and only asked questions in order to fill in the blanks on their form. Skills were never discussed in depth. Just an awkward and uncomfortable experience overall. Introverts and those who aren't so good at telling stories need not apply.

Algorithm Design Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was based on competencies or soft skills for a highly technological position. They will usually send out an attachment with the interview confirmation email detailing the competencies you will be evaluated on.
    But do brush up on your technical knowledge as they did ask a few follow up technical questions based on responses to the competency questions. It goes without saying- read the requirement and job description carefully.
    Was informed of their decision within 24 hrs of interview!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you suggested an innovative solution and it was implemented?   1 Answer

TRACK - Global Propulsion Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

Began during an on-campus career fair where I went by their booth and talked with a recruiter. The next day there was a networking dinner at a local restaurant. From there, we interviewed on campus with one manager and one recent hire. I got the call for final round interviews a month and a half after that. The final round process was a large event with around 50-75 other interviewees. The event included a networking dinner, multiple rounds of interviews and facility tours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were forced to make a difficult decision on a team   Answer Question

Model-based Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

I was expecting technical interview but I got the standard STAR behavioral questions like give a time when you had a conflict with a teammate, how did you solve it? what did you learn? how did you apply it to other problems ?

Interview Questions

• give a time when you had many projects to work in a short time   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewed at the Milford facility. There were two separate hour long interviews consisting of four questions each. I interviewed with hiring managers for the respective projects. Overall it was a very positive experience. The interviewers were very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in my responses. The nature of the questions allowed for a very open discussion.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time in which you had to present something to an audience which did not agree with you.   Answer Question

Track Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions centered around projects I've worked on at school/technical environments. They tend to make heavy use of the "STAR" format of evaluating your answers (Situation, Task, Action, Result). If you can frame your answers to fit that rubric, you should do pretty well.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle working with a "bad" teammate? What were the signs that they were a bad teammate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where what you were working on didn't go as planned.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a technical project you worked on. What were the major considerations you had to make while planning, executing, etc. What were the constraints? What was the size of the team you were on?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI).

Interview

Phone interview screening followed by on-site interview (2 hours with two separate managers). Each hour was divided to: introduction, behavioral questions (4), technical questions (5), and the extra time was to answer my questions (15 minutes). The entire process took 2-3 weeks. It was the best interview / process I ever had.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They met my initial request, so there was no negotiation.

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then two hour face to face interview.Not difficult just questions about your past work.The interviewers were very nice and took there time they also went over the entire job and talked about the proving grounds.It was nice to get all the info upfront.

Powertrain Calibration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted directly by a recruiter. I had a short phone screen with her, about 40 minutes. She asked about my background and then asked me 2-3 short open ended questions, STARLA format, "name a situation" kind of questions. A few days later, I was told I got an interview with the hiring manager. It was a Hirevue live video interview with a manager in a parallel working department and the hiring manger. It was 2 one-on-one interviews, both lasting 1 hour each. Questions were all Lominger style, answer in STARLA format. That is VERY important. They will keep asking you follow up questions like, what did you learn, and how did you apply this learning if you didn't answer it. Really get in the habit of answering questions in STARLA and you'll be fine. After the interview, I followed up with HR and I was told by her that both managers thought I did very well. About 1 week later, I was told by HR to call her and I was given a verbal offer. I was also told a few days before the offer that I was invited to a campus visit to Milford Proving Grounds.

Control Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Milford, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Behaviour Questions. Two managers are asking questions. First is the manager who is hiring than after that the second manger is asking questions. There is also two set of questions and it seems that each question have different variants. Some mangers are typing into computer and some handwriting. It seems that it is expected that from each situation must lead to some "learning process".

Interview Questions

• Example of project which took much less time than expected?   1 Answer