General Motors Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.4

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Very good process. Quick and efficient. Incredible turnaround. Very reasonable in asking ur expectations and doing the best to place you where you had your interests. Acquisition center is amazing!!! Really enjoyed the process. Very relaxed environment. Very transparent about opportunities and how they assume you will grow in the organization. Interview was structured yet mostly just a group conversation which I liked.

Interview Questions

• Why I was leaving my employer   1 Answer

Negotiation

They didbt leave a lot of opportunity to negotiate. That was my only dislike. However, they need to maintain the speed of interview to offer acceptance process.

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

the hiring process was challenging but the people who interviewed me we exceptional. Very smart, capable and interesting to talk to. I enjoyed our conversations and certainly would like to stay in touch.

Interview Questions

• what is more expensive, cost of capital or cost of debt?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online in response to a job posting. A little less than a week later I received a call from HR for a phone interview. I expected it to be typical questions of why you're looking, why do you want to work for GM, etc. He asked those questions, but there were also a lot of technical questions. That caught me off guard because I didn't expect them at that phase. I threw out a bunch of finance buzz words, ROI, IRR, maximize profit, etc. It was pretty clear he was typing down key words I mentioned.

Three days later I got a call to set up a phone interview with a finance manager. He asked behavioral and technical questions. He was very open with his interest and told me I would likely hear back from HR about scheduling travel arrangements to fly to Detroit for their "interview day."

Two days later HR emailed me about travel arrangements. I flew in for a half day interview session. There were several other candidates interviewing for similar positions at multiple locations. The day starts with 90 minutes to complete a case study by putting together a financial model in Excel, followed by 4, 30 minute interviews. 1) present case study 2) behavioral questions 3) GM Fit 4) technical questions.

Case study involved having to calculate the NPV of a new project and determining whether it would be a good investment.

They are looking for candidates for are "mobile" and have interest in future relocation. There are a lot of opportunities within GM. During your first phone interview, be candid about your salary requirements. I was offered exactly what I asked for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GM?   Answer Question
    • Make vs buy car part scenario. Answer quantitatively and qualitatively on whether you would make the part or choose to buy it.   Answer Question
    • What will help me remember you from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • Name 3 words that describe your personal brand.   Answer Question
    • Describe dealing with a difficult co-worker. Describe a disagreement with your boss.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

1. Interview with senior financial analyst 2. Interview with senior financial director
    3. Modeling test 4. Final interview

Total process was very strict and it is based on region you apply.
    First and second is phone interview and technical test is done by email.

Interview Questions

• Financial knowledges and fit interview   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

90 minute case study, the 4 30 minute interviews, one on the case, one technical, one about past experience and one about personality fit for GM. Each interview was with one/two interviewers. There were 8 candidates interviewing in the morning and another 8 in the afternoon. Interview in total ran from 07:30-12:30

Interview Questions

• If you were a car which make would you be and why?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Went their booth in my university career fair, had a nice conversation with recruiters and dropped my resume. Meanwhile, I applied through my school's career service system. After about 1 week, I was notified for the on-campus interview , which is a back to back interview with 2 financial associates. They asked both behaviour and technical questions.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

HR is highly unorganized - no clear communication on interview times and whether or not there was to be an interview. The process on the day itself was very systematic and the people I met were very nice and professional. Also, throughout the process no one I met could tell me exactly which role I was recruiting for.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult - standard finance technical questions.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Pretty standard, nice people, combined with behavior and technical. Back to back with two interviewers, each for around 30 mins.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI).

Interview

The whole process was very smooth and well organized and went very quickly. Once I was offered an interview, it was scheduled quickly and I was given detailed information about what to expect, where to be, etc.
    The interview itself was a 5 hour process. There was a short orientation, after which I was introduced to the HR rep that would facilitate the rest of the day. I was asked to prepare and present a case study and then sat with a number of hiring managers. The managers asked standardized behavioral questions then moved on to questions specific to their open position.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were standard behavioral questions or questions about my work experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Much of the salary talk happened before the interview. I liked that both sides knew what would work in terms of salary before a lot of time was invested.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with 3 managers. Basically a situational interview. I was hired out of this interview, a second one want required. Very professionally handled, yet still friendly and comfortable. Good people.