General Motors Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

3.2

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in June 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen, standard. I was then sent an online assessment that was part logic test and part personality test. There was then an on-site interview.

GM seems to have a standard company-wide format that they use for their interviews. This means that, as said in other reviews, there are two interviewers essentially reading from a list of behavioral questions for an hour each. A couple of the questions even sounded like they were designed with factory workers in mind, but I was able to work in an appropriate response related to software development. I knew going in that recalling minor incidents from the past several years on the spot is a weakness of mine, so what I did was make flash cards with every possible behavioral question I could find, thought of as many stories as I could for each one and studied the flash cards for a couple weeks (was useful for other companies as well). This worked very well and I recommend it if you're at all like me. There were some technical questions with the remaining time which were all language-specific, ranging from very basic to more trivia type questions. Most developers who just recently learned Java and OOP should be able to answer all these questions, so they did nothing to differentiate between a junior position and the senior-level position.

Overall, my take was that GM is a very traditional auto company and their interview process is no exception. I felt that the interviewers' hands were tied by the format and they end up having to extrapolate a lot from limited information, especially regarding technical ability (as opposed to just knowledge).

Interview Questions

What ended up happening for me is that I was offered a lower position than the one interviewed for, and a salary that looked to be just incremented a set amount from the current salary I had provided (and which didn't take into account total comp). I felt it would be good for someone with less experience. The main lesson I took away, which many of you probably know already is to never provide current salary info to any company. No reputable company will make you provide it (and certain states are making it illegal to ask), especially for software developers since you have the leverage in todays job market.

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

The manager rushed through the process. He seemed to think that he can figure out people within just a couple of minutes. There were not really any tricky technical questions. They were more concerned about fitting in so all the questions were the same for everyone. They tried to ask technical questions, but you can tell that they just care more about some skills than others.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position in the beginning of the December 2015, the process took about 5 months. First I got call from TA team (Recruiter) in January 2016, she asked me few questions and other educational and experienced related informative questions; then I got another call for scheduling an interview with Hiring Manager in the beginning of February 2016 for about an hour; after that I got another (Final) video conferencing interview scheduled in the end of the month February 2016 for about 2 hours with Hiring manager and the other technical departmental person (1 hour each). I got interview response after a week and then rest of the documentary process started.

Interview was easy. Hiring manager and the departmental person who was taking the interview were nice and polite, actually I talked with bunch of different people in GM from the starting of interview to the end of the process everybody were nice and polite. In interview they asks STARLA type of questions in the interview and of course few technical questions. Overall good experience from starting to End, but very slow process.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to join GM/
      Describe a situation when you broke the process and how did you fix it?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

3 Phone interviews. The experience was very good, the recruiter did a skills review and explained clearly what the process will be like if I got shortlisted. Got interviewed by the Hiring manager. A few weeks later got interviewed by other members in the team. Overall experience was very good, I felt they wanted to respect my time and be decisive on whether they want me or not. Some other companies make you go through multiple frustrating interview loops. So far I can say GM has a lot of class and looks like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions. The answers did require a mix of people skills and technical understanding of the tools and technologies used in the team and ability to come up with solutions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2013.

Interview

I took a 1.5 weeks between the first phone call from the recruiter to the 1:1 with the team members. I was presented a quick overview of GM benefits for 30 minutes and had 2 hours interview with 2 different persons. I did not find all the questions relevant for the position but most of them were appropriate. I had a really bad headache and tried to be positive as possible.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a Set and a List?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

There were a lot of questions on on site on algorithms and data structures. Mostly on strings such as reversal), removing duplicates in an array, finding maximum subsequence, vectors. There are about 5 such questions and rest is behavioral .The phone interview was more around specific .Net or java technologies such as interfaces vs abstract, garbage collection,..