General Motors Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on Linkedin and encouraged me to apply, 1 week after scheduled for technical interview, the interviewers were Indians the and worst interviewers I have ever talked to, they are unprofessional not prepared, the role is for java and they started to ask about something else, they were put me on mute and were laughing between while I'm talking

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

You will get a call from someone in the Talent Acquisition department first. Some basic questions regarding your experience and eligibility will be asked. If they determine you're a good candidate, they will arrange an actual onsite interview. The interview questions are standard questions from a GM interview book. Not technically oriented. They do look into your experience and skills/knowledge but don't make you write code on white board or things like that.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really too difficult or unexpected. For example, they would ask "give me an example in your job when you felt you're in very difficult situation and why".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

It is a behavioral interview which means they are looking for you to explain situations where you overcame adversity. There is no white boarding or in depth technical review but there was high level discussion of the technologies they are looking for. The main goal seems to be testing how well I worked with others. During the interview I first meet with a developer, and then a PM. The interview concluded with a very brief meeting with the director for that area.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to report something negative about a coworker.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Me: I want more money; Them: No; Me: I really want more money; Them: how a about a small bump in the offer and a signing bonus. Me: ok!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I was hired because of referral, interview is mostly behavioral, bunch of HR type questions - prepare stories about how you approached an issue, how you took initiative, how you solved something, show that you are technical and also good at communication/team work etc

Interview Questions

• tell us about someone's performance feedback when you dont think of them much
      tell us about a time when you were given and assignment where you either fix it or give up in some fixed amount of time
      Answer Question

Negotiation

everything is negotiable, do get it in writing
    they bargain like fish-market, be prepared to say NO
    the hr is outsourced, and will go back on their word

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

GM uses the Lominger process for interviews. If you don't know what that is, then google it. Basically they ask questions about what you would do in certain situations. It was not a technical interview.

First step is someone will call for a phone interview. This is a HR person who is looking for keywords that match the job description. They don't have a technical background so if you use the correct buzz words you are good for the next step.

The second step is an onsite interview. This interview follows the Lominger process. They ask you questions like "give us an example of what you did when you disagreed with your boss?". My interview lasted for 4 hours.

After that you have to wait. GM requires that 3 interviews are performed for each position so it may take a while before you hear back.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of what you did when you disagreed with your manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you get an offer, the HR person wants to get you on board. They will call you and ask you what salary you are looking for. Suggest the salary you want and they will try to meet it within reason. They have salary ranges for each position. Try to get the most up front. Once they make an offer there is not a lot of flexibility to change it.