General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

122 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Roswell, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Filled out a pre-application at a career, didnt think much of it. A week or so later I got an email telling me to show up at 7:45 the next morning for a "final interview". I guess they like you to be unprepared. They showed us the typical, "Look, dont you want to work for us?" presentation, then we had interviews with two people. The first guy I got was pretty unpleasant. I really just think he thought I was "weird" and didn't like me. Anyway, he asked a series of your typical bs interview questions, and they demand that you answer them in a rigid series of steps, and if a step didn't apply to your answer, I guess that was just seen as a failing on your part. He acted as if he couldn't comprehend my answers and wrote my answers down in a way that made me look bad, then refused to correct them. I felt like walking out of that interview, and I wish I had.
The second guy I talked to was very nice and asked a couple of easy questions.
That night, I was informed via email that I needed to apply to all the jobs I was interested in. Because applying after an interview makes perfect sense.
Needless to say, within a week or two, I got a generic, "don't feel there's a strong match" email.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that unexpected. Just imagine the worst questions from one of those books of interview questions, and an unsympathetic jerk sitting across from you.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

End-to-end process took nearly 3 months. First step was a phone screening with HR to gather information to pass along to hiring manager/team. Second step was a phone interview with subject matter expert where they asked several standard HR behavior questions (situational) followed up with some background/experience questions. The final step was a 3-hour on site interview with a different subject matter expert and the hiring manager where they, once again, ask several standard HR behavior questions and talked in more detail about the position, my background and interests, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a user/group who is against using IT standard software?   3 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

They had two people interview me, it lasted around 2 hours. I believe it was 45 minutes for each individual and the last minutes left to ask questions. They had packets to with a ton of questions to ask me about, so that was the reason the interview took so long.

Interview Questions

• It was most behavioral questions that focused on teamwork. They are looking for people that can work in a team. Most difficult question: "How did you deal with someone that was not doing their work? How did you handle the situation? What would you change?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

I was brought into one of their new Innovation Centers and was given a tour at the end. Initially, I was met with two recruiters who then split off, making the interview a two-part one-on-one interview. Overall, a fun interview experience with not a lot of pressure.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to work harder than usual just to complete a seemingly normal task.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN) in November 2016.

Interview

The individuals that interviewed me were great, very easy to talk to. They asked basic functional and technical questions. The HR department did not get back to me for 4 months.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The majority of the interview consisted of behavioral questions, however, both of my interviewers asked several technical questions as well. The technical questions consisted mostly of data structure and algorithm concepts.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of using an abstract class? Describe a situation when you would use an abstract class. When is an abstract class not the best choice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied at a campus career fair and was interviewed on campus two days later, I was notified through email that I was selected for the interview process. I was then called back for a second interview at GM IT Center in Chandler, AZ. - I was also notified through email and they asked if I wanted to accept the scheduled interview. First interview was behavioral and was conducted by an alumni of the university, all the questions were scenario questions such as what would you do in a situation such as, was also asked about the different courses I took as a student. Second Interview was technical portion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Gives two tables in a database model - cars and customers. How would you link which cars belonged to which customer.   1 Answer
    • How would you sort a car list by MPG? what would you use?   1 Answer
    • What are the resources you would use if you are stuck with a difficult problem?   Answer Question
    • If you were part of a team maintaining and supporting an application, and a client calls describing that the application is not working, how would you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very positive interview experience. Applied through university career fair, went through a phone call with Talent Acquisition about resume and basic skills after about 3 weeks. Had a technical + behavioral on-site interview 2 weeks later. Received offer one day after the interview. Timely and helpful response throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Sum of two linkedlists with most significant digit at the head.
      2. Reverse a linkedlist.
      3. Java: What's an abstract class? Difference between abstract class and interface.
      4. What's an inner class?
      5. Difference between static inner class and non-static inner class.
      6. How to create a new thread?
      7. Android: Methods for interprocess communication
      8. Intent and PendingIntent.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (San Marcos, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through college/university job portal and got an on campus Interview. The interview was had two parts. Each part was an hour long. First part was mostly technical questions, asking about my background and knowledge or programing. Second part was behavioral questions and a few functional questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What courses have you taken?
      How comfortable are you with programing languages that you know?   Answer Question