General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tucson, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

I met with the recruiter at the job fair at my university. They seemed willing to interview anyone who said they were interested in software development, even though I repeatedly mentioned that my experience in software was lacking. They scheduled me for an interview the next week.

The first interview was great. It was one interviewer that asked three main behavioral questions and one technical coding question. There were other little basic interview questions also. This interviewer told me it was okay I didn't know code and let me answer the technical question theoretically. Got an email two days later for a second interview two weeks later.

The second interview was exactly the same format, but with different questions and a different person. However, this interviewer wanted me to do whiteboard coding and didn't let me answer the technical question theoretically. Because of this I got a rejection email the following week. So their interviewers seem to have different ideas about what candidates they are seeking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
    Are you interested in IT?
    Tell me about a time you had to do something right that was unpopular.
    What is your greatest accomplishment and how did you achieve it?
    Tell me about a project/job that has qualities that would benefit this position.
    Write a code to sort through a list of cars with the best mileage when some are in km/L and mpg.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied at a campus career fair and was interviewed on campus two days later, I was notified through email that I was selected for the interview process. I was then called back for a second interview at GM IT Center in Chandler, AZ. - I was also notified through email and they asked if I wanted to accept the scheduled interview. First interview was behavioral and was conducted by an alumni of the university, all the questions were scenario questions such as what would you do in a situation such as, was also asked about the different courses I took as a student. Second Interview was technical portion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Gives two tables in a database model - cars and customers. How would you link which cars belonged to which customer.   1 Answer
    • How would you sort a car list by MPG? what would you use?   1 Answer
    • What are the resources you would use if you are stuck with a difficult problem?   Answer Question
    • If you were part of a team maintaining and supporting an application, and a client calls describing that the application is not working, how would you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

30 mins behavioural 30 mins technical. the recruiters were nice, and questions weren't that hard. i didn't get the offer because i didn't prepare well. Read some online behavioural questions and some basic technical question and algorithm. Nothing surprise, just prepare yourself like you should do.

Interview Questions

• how did you overcome a hardship during a project in a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

End-to-end process took nearly 3 months. First step was a phone screening with HR to gather information to pass along to hiring manager/team. Second step was a phone interview with subject matter expert where they asked several standard HR behavior questions (situational) followed up with some background/experience questions. The final step was a 3-hour on site interview with a different subject matter expert and the hiring manager where they, once again, ask several standard HR behavior questions and talked in more detail about the position, my background and interests, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a user/group who is against using IT standard software?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

A lot of team and personality questions and a few technical question. As a college hire, they know you need training so they offer a extensive training bootcamp to prep you for your projects.

Interview Questions

• What is the bigger problem you had in a team project and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Received a call from General Motors after a Career Fair. The call was straightforward, just behavioral questions. After a couple weeks, I interviewed in person by two different people at the Renaissance Center. Again, these questions weren't difficult at all, some behavioral questions and general interview questions, just had to respond in a STAR format. They may also ask you questions based on your resume, so make sure you review that a bit.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if people on your team weren't getting along?   Answer Question

General Motors Response

May 20, 2016 – GM Careers Social Media & Video Strategist

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your honesty, and willingness to share about your interview experience. Your tip about resume reviewing before the interview is spot on. It always helps to be ... More

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Had several behavior interviews. Interviewers were very supportive throughout the process. I know someone who is applying for another position and has interacted with GM at other career fairs. They always get back to you. The process was simple. Go to 1-on-1 interviews answer questions, then wait for their response. They communicate through phone and email. Their email system is very effective.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to change your approach to a problem.   1 Answer

General Motors Response

May 20, 2016 – GM Careers Social Media & Video Strategist

Congrats on accepting the position! We certainly appreciate the positive feedback about your interview experience. Our goal is to be open and responsive when folks reach out to us about their status ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Got the interview through my school and their job fairs. Met with them the next day and had a standard personality interview. The interview was about 30 minutes and got to know a good bit about the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time difficult situation you have been in before.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Lots of behavioral questions were asked. Some technical questions were asked. Interview process was relatively easing. General Motors atmosphere seemed very genuine and laid back. Lots of people were interviewing, don't know how many positions were available or open. Managers were very nice and were very easy to get a long with.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (Austin, TX).

Interview

First Round New Grad interview on a college campus. It was a one on one interview with situational questions. (i.e. Tell me about a time when...). Very Easy. Got through to second round. Will update in the near future.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were stranded on a problem without an answer.   1 Answer