General Motors Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 27, 2017

2.6

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Lubbock, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Just general behavioral questions like "tell me about a time when.." type questions. Nothing technical in the first round of interviews. Will get more skill based as the interview goes on. This was just the first round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me on time were you went above and beyond the call of duty?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (College Station, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiters at college career fair and got an email to sign up for an interview slot time for approximately 45 minutes. There were two interviewers (technical/behavioral).

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with GM representatives to talk about the company, participated in a behavioral interview, talked about my experience and goals, talked about my previous projects and some projects that the company works on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had difficulty with another employee and how did you resolve your situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tempe, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

College recruitment. I scheduled my first interview during the career fair in Tempe Arizona which ended up being a week later. It was an hour long interview which for the most part was behavioral questions just to see how you would fit into the company. There there was also one somewhat technical question towards the end. The interview was conducted on campus by a recruiter who had gone through the same process 3 years ago so that was nice. A week later I got scheduled for my second interview which I am yet to attend.

Interview Questions

• What is a palindrome and I had to write a simple function to determine if a String was a palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    • describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a team mate while working on a school project (since I have listed I didn't have any relevant work experience)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through University career fair on a Wednesday. Received offer for interview within a few days, interviewed the next Monday. Fairly informal interview. One interviewer with little knowledge on the position being interviewed for. The company was very timely in informing me of my candidacy status. No second interview offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Had two interviews that were pretty straightforward. They asked a little about me and my education, my preferences, and a few technical questions. At the end they gave me some time to ask them a few questions too. The interviews were on separate days and each one only lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a paper with a bunch of details on it and asked me how I would communicate what needed to be done to a group of software developers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

First was a HR related call about the company, pay and the entire interview process. Sounds nice so far...

Next, interview with the director of the department, professional.

OK, now I to the final interview.

First, the Recruiter of GM set it up for the wrong day and asked if I can reschedule immediately for a video interview the next day. Fine.
    Second, I was in the lobby 10 mins beforehand to make sure the equipment is working properly etc.
    The communication was by phone and cam for visual. The Lead of the department was about 10 mins late. When he called me up, it took him another 15 mins trying to get in the video lobby. Wouldn't you try this before you got on? He was never able to do it. Questions were behavioral. That was the first hour. Second hour was the Developer. So his camera did work and it was pointed at his belly. I was thinking, "what the...". During the discussion he was asking me about my interests. OK. This really doesn't really have anything to do with data integration but OK. Then he was talking about how in 2008 GM fired everyone. Pretty much putting the company down. During that point I let him know that my father was a GM executive and how I was from Detroit. He asked ,"Did he get fired"? I responded in a puzzled kind of way "No, he retired" What a strange question to someone you don't know. He eventually moved the video off his stomach at this point. Last he finally asked behavioral checklist.

This interview was unorganized, unprofessional slop. I'm stunned that this company is even functioning properly today. Time will tell.

Conclusion: I am happy I did not get an offer. I can't believe I wasted my life even being on the phone with these people. I learned nothing from this process.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. Situational. How did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

It was 2 hours of interview - 1 hour each with 2 people, so in total 4 people interviewed.
    STAR interview process.
    Questions will be asked based on your resume.
    Mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Data structures
      Database design - students and courses example
      What is synchronization?
      Tell any 10 unix commands.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN) in September 2015.

Interview

I interviewed through my university. It consisted of two thirty minute interviews back to back. The interviews were not super technical, but instead more conversational. None of the questions caught me off guard; they were pretty standard. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you worked in a group to accomplish a task.   Answer Question