General Motors Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Motors Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 9, 2016

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Had two interviews that were pretty straightforward. They asked a little about me and my education, my preferences, and a few technical questions. At the end they gave me some time to ask them a few questions too. The interviews were on separate days and each one only lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a paper with a bunch of details on it and asked me how I would communicate what needed to be done to a group of software developers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with GM representatives to talk about the company, participated in a behavioral interview, talked about my experience and goals, talked about my previous projects and some projects that the company works on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had difficulty with another employee and how did you resolve your situation?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through University career fair on a Wednesday. Received offer for interview within a few days, interviewed the next Monday. Fairly informal interview. One interviewer with little knowledge on the position being interviewed for. The company was very timely in informing me of my candidacy status. No second interview offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tempe, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

College recruitment. I scheduled my first interview during the career fair in Tempe Arizona which ended up being a week later. It was an hour long interview which for the most part was behavioral questions just to see how you would fit into the company. There there was also one somewhat technical question towards the end. The interview was conducted on campus by a recruiter who had gone through the same process 3 years ago so that was nice. A week later I got scheduled for my second interview which I am yet to attend.

Interview Questions

• What is a palindrome and I had to write a simple function to determine if a String was a palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    • describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a team mate while working on a school project (since I have listed I didn't have any relevant work experience)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

First was a HR related call about the company, pay and the entire interview process. Sounds nice so far...

Next, interview with the director of the department, professional.

OK, now I to the final interview.

First, the Recruiter of GM set it up for the wrong day and asked if I can reschedule immediately for a video interview the next day. Fine.
    Second, I was in the lobby 10 mins beforehand to make sure the equipment is working properly etc.
    The communication was by phone and cam for visual. The Lead of the department was about 10 mins late. When he called me up, it took him another 15 mins trying to get in the video lobby. Wouldn't you try this before you got on? He was never able to do it. Questions were behavioral. That was the first hour. Second hour was the Developer. So his camera did work and it was pointed at his belly. I was thinking, "what the...". During the discussion he was asking me about my interests. OK. This really doesn't really have anything to do with data integration but OK. Then he was talking about how in 2008 GM fired everyone. Pretty much putting the company down. During that point I let him know that my father was a GM executive and how I was from Detroit. He asked ,"Did he get fired"? I responded in a puzzled kind of way "No, he retired" What a strange question to someone you don't know. He eventually moved the video off his stomach at this point. Last he finally asked behavioral checklist.

This interview was unorganized, unprofessional slop. I'm stunned that this company is even functioning properly today. Time will tell.

Conclusion: I am happy I did not get an offer. I can't believe I wasted my life even being on the phone with these people. I learned nothing from this process.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. Situational. How did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Initially, I received a phone call two days after submitting my application. The phone interview was mostly behavioural and involved discussion of projects on my resume, and my suitability for the position. After almost a month, I had an onsite interview that was purely technical. Since I was applying for a position in Android development, the majority of the questions were related to Java. At the end, I was asked to solve a programming problem on the whiteboard. The entire interview was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list using a maximum of two pointers in addition to the head.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

It was 2 hours of interview - 1 hour each with 2 people, so in total 4 people interviewed.
    STAR interview process.
    Questions will be asked based on your resume.
    Mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Data structures
      Database design - students and courses example
      What is synchronization?
      Tell any 10 unix commands.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

10 minute phone call with a recruiter following the STAR based method. After a few weeks got a phone call from them asking to schedule an interview at the Oshawa facility. Arrived that day and it was a 1-2 hour interview with a panel of dev team members. They asked questions ranging from who you are as person and past exp

Interview Questions

• Standard STAR questions on the phone to get a sense of your personality. At the GM office they asked about past projects I had worked on and then focused some programming questions. One of them had to do with reversing a Linked List. Some other smaller questions relating to efficiency and working with arrays & lists.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Bloomington, IN) in September 2015.

Interview

I interviewed through my university. It consisted of two thirty minute interviews back to back. The interviews were not super technical, but instead more conversational. None of the questions caught me off guard; they were pretty standard. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you worked in a group to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors in July 2015.

Interview

Terrible experience, HR called me to schedule a phone interview of 3 hours (yeah, you heard me right). Then I took half day off for this interview, but NO ONE called at the scheduled time. Sent HR an email to ask, NO EMAIL reply ever. Make me wonder the idea of working there with such a professional HR group. Anyway glad I didn't waste 3 hours for this.