General Motors Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 31, 2017

2.6

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

First round was a phone interview which would be followed by a technical Skype interview. Phone interview just outlined resume with a couple behavioural questions. Very flexible to book times and dates.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

I had a total of 4 interviews: an initial pre-screen phone interview, a technical interview, a behavioral interview, and a final interview with the engineering manager. Overall everyone was very professional, and the whole process was a positive experience. There were no surprises or curve-balls during the interviews. Assuming you prepare and are qualified for the job, you will have no problem answering the questions that will come up.

Interview Questions

• No surprises; they asked me about my background, technical experience, and also some standard behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at General Motors (College Station, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiters at college career fair and got an email to sign up for an interview slot time for approximately 45 minutes. There were two interviewers (technical/behavioral).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Motors (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

I just did the online Coding Challenge. That was all about JAVA language programming. Focused on datatypes, sorting-like process and recursion(like fibonacci series). Was not that hard honestly. That was all about JAVA language programming. Focused on datatypes, sorting-like process and recursion(like fibonacci series). Was not that hard honestly.

Interview Questions

• Some Java Coding problems like calculating the square of a given number, stairs climbing question and uppercase and lower case questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (Oshawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Initial round of phone screening with HR on your background.
    On-site technical interview with a group of engineers. ~3 hours. One algorithm question, other C++/Java understandings and overall OS (Android framework) architectural questions.
    2nd on-site interview with HR and tech manager on behavior questions.

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Warren, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my university career fair, who was interested in an advanced vehicle technology competition I was part of at school. I had a 1 hour interview with two software engineers on-campus, who asked me questions on my past internship and project experience (all from my resume). They informed me that ADAS/Active Safety would be a good fit for my skillset, but they were only hiring powertrain people (electrical engineers) at that time. I was told that my resume would be passed on to the autonomous vehicles team for further review.

I also had to complete a simple math and reading comprehension quiz after the on-campus interview.

I didn't hear from GM for about two months after that, until I got a call from a hiring manager asking if I would be able to fly out to the engineering final round interviews the following week. They flew me out to the Tech Center in Warren, MI, for two days of final interviews. The first day was just a networking session; the second was for interviews and tours of the facility. The final round interviews were one-on-one, hour-long interviews that were 100% behavioral.

Overall, it was an easy interview process with some really nice people.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my project experience with ADAS topics, computer vision, and machine learning. Final round interviews were all "tell us about a time when..." questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Motors (Provo, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

Had two interviews that were pretty straightforward. They asked a little about me and my education, my preferences, and a few technical questions. At the end they gave me some time to ask them a few questions too. The interviews were on separate days and each one only lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a paper with a bunch of details on it and asked me how I would communicate what needed to be done to a group of software developers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Motors (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with GM representatives to talk about the company, participated in a behavioral interview, talked about my experience and goals, talked about my previous projects and some projects that the company works on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had difficulty with another employee and how did you resolve your situation?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Motors in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through University career fair on a Wednesday. Received offer for interview within a few days, interviewed the next Monday. Fairly informal interview. One interviewer with little knowledge on the position being interviewed for. The company was very timely in informing me of my candidacy status. No second interview offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Motors (Tempe, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

College recruitment. I scheduled my first interview during the career fair in Tempe Arizona which ended up being a week later. It was an hour long interview which for the most part was behavioral questions just to see how you would fit into the company. There there was also one somewhat technical question towards the end. The interview was conducted on campus by a recruiter who had gone through the same process 3 years ago so that was nice. A week later I got scheduled for my second interview which I am yet to attend.

Interview Questions

• What is a palindrome and I had to write a simple function to determine if a String was a palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    • describe a situation where you had a disagreement with a team mate while working on a school project (since I have listed I didn't have any relevant work experience)   Answer Question