Genscape Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Power Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genscape (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

1. Phone screening with recruiter 2. Phone screening with manager 3. In-office interview with presentation.
    Genscape's interview process was very clearly communicated and thoughtful throughout. They asked me detailed questions about my experience, which I related to the job position, and had me do a short presentation on a renewable energy source, which I thought was a great idea to give candidates a feeling for what kinds of research and questions will come up on the job. I appreciated that all the people I talked to and interviewed with were extremely friendly and clearly valued learning. They seem to be flexible about how you work, so long as you are providing great client services, and proactive if you want to learn a new skill that will help you on the job (like R).
    There is a short personality quiz that they have you do. Should you join Genscape, they use the results from the assessment to tailor leadership training and other work-related training to your personality.
    I ultimately declined Genscape's offer because I received another offer for a position that aligned more closely with my career goals. Their offer was extremely competitive and I was happy with the compensation and benefits.
    I highly recommend applying if you have an interest in energy and trading. Genscape is definitely on top with their data collection and tools!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to walk through your resume and discuss why you are interested in learning about power markets.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Genscape (Louisville, KY) in June 2009.

Interview

Applied online and received initial screen phone call. After initial screening I had a technical phone interview with the department head that lasted about a hour. I was then invited to an in-person interview. During the in-person interview I met the immediate manager for the position and three groups of his other team members. During this panel I was given a basic Java development skills test. The interviewers were all technically proficient and asked very pointed questions to gauge my technical expertise and ability to perform under pressure.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult problem you were given to solve at your current employer and how did you come to your solution?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genscape (Louisville, KY).

Interview

I had 3 interviews, Initial screen over the phone, a second in person interview with two teams of developers, and a third follow up over the phone. The interview wasn't entirely too technical, but a lot of good questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• There were some detailed java library questions involving spring   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made a very appropriate offer with not a lot of fuss.

Software Engineer Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genscape (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Had a HR phone screen, where basic interests were noted.
    Then had an interview with the Senior Software Engineer, where I was told about the role and my basic OOPS concepts were tested. There was no coding.
    I was called on-site for the last round, where I meet the team and had an interview for around 45 minutes with the Senior Software Engineer who asked me questions pertaining to my previous work experience and tested data modelling concepts. Salary details were also discussed.

Interview Questions

• How did you design the database for your school project? Explain how you normalized the data.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genscape (Boston, MA).

Interview

The HR dept of Genscape is really friendly. They helped me in setting up an interview with the software engineering department. I had a phone interview as well as on-site interview. Most of the questions were based on my resume and the technologies I have worked with. They were interested in knowing how I approached different situations in previous projects. They are more keen on taking people having sound fundamental knowledge in programming languages.

Interview Questions

• I didnt have any of the difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

As I said HR is really friendly. They are really helpful in offering the reasonable rate per hour.

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genscape (Boulder, CO) in March 2019.

Interview

I was initially contacted about an internship position I had applied for but when I spoke to the interviewer over the phone, she recognized that I was a graduate and asked if I would like to be considered for a full time position instead. The first phone call was largely a screening call, followed by a conversation with the manager of the role, followed by a final interview with the manager and several of the team members I would be working with.
    Throughout the process the recruiter who initially spoke to me was my main point of contact and was tremendously communicative and reachable. Because I had another job offer, the recruiting staff were kind enough to accelerate their schedule and have a phone interview as the final round, rather than me flying to Boston.

Interview Questions

• General "how would you perform in this situation" questions, as well as questions about my background and previous projects. After the second interview I was given a short corporate case study to evaluate.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genscape.

Interview

The worst I've ever met. Senior talent acquisition specialist contacted me via email to schedule a phone interview. I replied with a suggested time and a follow up email the next day, but never got response. Very unprofessional.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genscape.

Interview

The Recruitment team at Genscape is very responsive and professional. I received an email to schedule my first phone interview with HR within days after submitting my application. I heard back from the Senior Recruiter right away. She took the time to answer my questions and we discussed the next stepson the process. My interview with the manager was more formal, the questions were about my experience and generally high level, but that is to be expected for a phone interview. I heard back from the Senior Recruiter within a few days and was informed they are going to be moving forward with others candidates. I am disappointed but the process has been professional and quick. I will be keeping an eye on Genscape for other jobs.

Interview Questions

• What tactics have you used to manage your workload? And, has this method ever backfired on you?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Interview

I interviewed with Genscape in Dec 2017. Very unprofessional company, both in respect to the recruiter and the people on the team I was interviewing with. Initially when the recruiter reached out to set up an interview, I never received a response despite following up. Only when I placed a review on Glassdoor noting their lack of follow up, did they respond. In any case, I finally had a phone screen with the recruiter. I asked the recruiter about salary via email because during the call she only asked about my expectations and never gave me a number. When I emailed her she still did not provide a number, only saying that we're in close range. Well, that's quite frankly not specific enough. I don't know why she was so reluctant to be transparent, but it's likely because they're paying under market. After I underwent two interviews with members of the Strategy team, the recruiter sent me a personalized note to let me know I wasn't moving forward which I appreciate it- I never bothered to follow up considering the tenor of my final interview.

For a company that is not a hot commodity and let's face it, an unknown, their process is too long and drawn out with too much disorganization, unresponsiveness, and a lack of transparency about simple things like salary. I might be willing to go through such hoops with hot tech companies, but not Genscape.

I had a call with the hiring manager that had to be rescheduled twice. I understand personal issues arise, and I understand having to reschedule once, but twice is excessive. Maybe it's best to just not schedule something, when there is a high level of uncertainty. My conversation with the hiring manager went well and she was extremely personable. The next step was supposed to be an onsite. But the recruiter changed her tune and said it would be an interview with Strategy Analyst(a peer). At this point, I was getting a bit annoyed, as I was in the final round stages for other companies I was way more interested in. Overall, there were quite a few red flags about this company that I had already experienced- the lack of responsiveness initially, the rescheduling, the lack of transparency about salary, etc.

I decided to proceed because I figured I might as well keep all potential opportunities open. The next step in the process is where it fell apart. I had an interview with a Strategy Analyst, which would have been a peer. First, in most reputable companies you're not interviewed by peers. But if you are interviewed by peers, companies typically make sure those peers conduct themselves in a professional manner. Well, the Analyst did not. The minute he answered the phone I could sense the conversation was not going to go well. He really dug into whether I had experience with commodities. This is not something the hiring manager or recruiter mentioned. My background is not finance, but rather management consulting. So, if they were looking for someone with that industry experience they shouldn't have bothered to waste my time. Commodities experience wasn't listed in the job requirements either. Since the topic of commodities experience was never even broached, I was very taken aback when the Analyst kept on grilling me about commodities. Not to mention, the hiring manager never even mentioned commodities. The Analyst asked me if I had heard of Genscape before I had applied for the job. I said no, but upon learning about it, it seemed like it occupies an interesting space and that this role in particular has great projects in the pipeline. Anyway, he seemed unhappy with this answer.

Well, newsflash. Genscape is not a well-known company. I am sorry to say. We then did a case which I thought went well. But he seemed to not like my answer. I frankly have no clue why. I've done cases before, and this was a qualitative case without numbers involved. I was then given time to ask questions and asked about the overall trajectory for an Analyst. He said something to the effect of "this job is really hands on. this is how I think about it. do I pay someone to teach me something or do I learn on my own?" So, we obviously know how this guy feels about business school. I hadn't even mentioned business school, so I don't really know why he went there. Anyway, he had a real chip on his shoulder. Basically, your prototypical bro. After asking a few questions, I brought the call to a close right at the 30 minute mark, stating that I didn't have any more questions, because there really was no point in continuing the conversation any further.

Since this team consists of two people, the hiring manager, and the Analyst, it's best that I will not be working at Genscape. I ended up getting a suitable offer at a better company. In the future, Genscape might want to find another senior level person to conduct the next round. The hiring manager is perfectly pleasant. The Analyst not so much.

Interview Questions

• With the hiring manager it was pretty standard. during the second interview I was asked about commodities.   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genscape (Boston, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I heard back from the recruiter within a month and set-up our call for the next day. It was a phone interview with basic questions like talk me through our past work experience, why Genscape, why Strategy Manager etc.

I was very impressed by the interview process. The interviewer was very responsive, and helpful through the entire process. The interviewer was consistent in updating me at every stage and regularly responding to all my queries. While I did not get the job, I do hope to stay in touch as the interview process speaks a lot about how the company would treat its employees.

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genscape (Louisville, KY) in January 2008.

Interview

Sent resume, called by VP of IT, phone interviewed with him, Met him for a one on one, then had a panel interview. Offer presented, took Personality Test. Met with team members. Took a couple days to ponder offer and decided to stay where I am.

Interview Questions

• What can you tell me about your most difficult day in your current position and how did you overcome the difficulty.   Answer Question
    • Analyze this scenario (gave technical scenario) and wanted specific, detailed, finite answers relating to how each procedure should work, commands used, etc.   1 Answer

Didn't truly wish to leave up and coming technology presented by my company to a more 9-5 position.