Georgia-Pacific Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

2.9

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

They use a behavioural style of interview. For fresh graduates coming from the job fair, they pack you all in a hotel, near one of their production mills and in groups, give you a challenge to work out as a team, and observe how you work in the group. The whole process used to work like the NFL Draft (in fact, it was called the Draft - where after day one you were given a sheet and you were asked to rank order your locations of preference to work at within the organisation, and the interviewers/reps from the various company locations would then negotiate amongst themselves about offering you a position based on your 3 location interviews and, pretty much, how much that location wanted you. Having studied Game Theory in grad school, I understood why R&D exited this Draft process, but as I understand still continues amongst the mills. Why do I say that, at least as it relates to R&D? Well, first, those who go into research have a, shall I say, eccentric personality that may not lend itself well to selecting amongst what, amongst the manufacturing centres, amounts to a contest of picking the best alpha. Second, having studied Game Theory, this type of selection process is inefficient as it leads to misallocation resulting in efficiency losses: specifically when an applicant ranks their location while strategizing where to go based on where they perceive they will be hired and not where they prefer to be, this does not lead to a mechanism that is "truth telling", that is, one in which actual preferences are revealed. In short, this mechanism leads to misallocation of labor based on the applicant's perception of where they would be best hired and not where they would be best placed.

Interview Questions

• There will be three rounds of interviews with different locations. Questions are quite general, projects that were worked on in engineering classes, what kind of leadership roles have you taken; generic non differentiated questions that really don't dictate much. A few months after I was hired, and I asked my two coworkers who had interviewed me during the Draft how the process worked on their end, they told me of one applicant who was vied over by several locations for nothing more than their enthusiasm for golf, which was shared by the interviewers (they were Souther mills, go figure).   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Georgia-Pacific

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific in September 2016.

Interview

Met at career fair. Interview the next day. Very easy, they use market based management. Brush up on the guiding principles and talk about safety. Got a call about two weeks later with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to get out of a situation for moral reasons and why?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific.

Interview

I applied online and about a month later HR emailed me and setup a phone interview. It was mostly behavioral questions and about my interest in the position and any qualifications I had. They called me the next day to setup a phone call with the hiring manager which was all about my resume and interest in the position. The next day I got another call from HR to setup a on site interview. That interview was about 6 hours. I may and spoke with the plant manager, hiring manager, HR, and some process engineers. All behavioral questions and a plant tour. They were all very nice and open about the company. A few days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake.   1 Answer
    • tell me a time when you had to prioritize your time   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you showed leadership and owned a project   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary offer was great, mom negotiable though, relocation package was negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Lovell, WY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific (Lovell, WY).

Interview

Was straight forward and painless. I don't really remember it that well since it was over 8 years ago. The current manager isn't the one I hired on with.

Negotiation

there was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific (Atlanta, GA) in May 2010.

Interview

long and tedious

Interview Questions

• How would you stop an expensive project that you knew was wrong?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific in July 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview to screen candidates. Then an onsite day long behavioral interview with several one on one interviews with different managers and potential coworkers. It was a good way to get to know the company at the same time they got to know me.

They were very professional and easy to get along with although each location and plant will be different.

My suggestion is to have all the questions that you want to know about ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to manage multiple pressing projects at the same time. How do you normally do this?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Georgia-Pacific in July 2010.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward; everyone was very nice & professional. They utilize behavior based interviewing (or STAR, SAR).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you chose to take the high road rather than the easy way out.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you can add value to the organization.   Answer Question

Received an offer from another employer before they made an offer.