Gerdau Long Steel North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 2, 2017

2.7

Millwright Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Midlothian, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

It starts off with the online application, if you meet their needs you go in for skills testing. An in person panel interview takes place if you pass their test.

Interview Questions

• HR is quite noses about my past.   1 Answer

Controls Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monroe, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Monroe, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for a phone interview to review my qualifications and employment history and offered information about an open position with the company after an application through an internet job board. My experience actually covered two different positions for which they had openings, so the recruiter submitted my name for both positions to her supervisor. I was then contacted to schedule written assessments after approval from the recruiter's supervisor.

I then had to take a written assessment for both positions. The assessments are not overly difficult, but they are in depth. They allow you to use the Ugly Book for the electrical assessment. The assessments do require a thorough understanding of theory on the topic and not only practical applications. Upon passing the written assessments, I was contacted for an in person interview with a panel of supervisors, technicians, and engineers. The interview was very relaxed and the interviewers were extremely personable and demonstrated genuine interest in me as a candidate. The stress level was very low and the interviewers attempted to make the candidate as relaxed as possible. Telling funny anecdotes and short jokes allows for the candidate to feel like a part of the team from the very beginning.

The interviewers seemed surprised I asked them for their opinion of the company and how they enjoyed working there. I asked them for their favorite thing about working at Gerdau. The employers all had wonderful things to say about the company and helped sell the company to me as a candidate. The was contrary to some typical interview situations in which you feel you have to sell yourself and will be lucky to be offered a position. The interview made me feel the company was more of a family environment in which everyone really cared about their co-workers and management understood that satisfied employees and employees that feel valued can help productivity more than any other incentive

After the interview, I was given a tour of the plant with another employee. The tour was informative and the employee with whom I was touring was receptive to all questions I had. I was introduced to many other employees at all levels in the company. They were all friendly and gave the impression they genuinely enjoyed working there. There was a lot of light hearted and friendly banter between the employees which is important, as it further demonstrated the morale of the plant.

I was then contacted a few days later with a verbal offer of employment which was quickly followed by a written employment offer.

Interview Questions

• Safety concerns were a major part of the interview. I was asked how I would address witnessing a possible unsafe activity.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about yourself   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable. They made a verbal offer and once the written offer was extended, along with the complete benefits package for review, I submitted a written counter offer for salary. It took a full day for the company to reply to my counter offer, which can be a little nerve wracking. However, when they replied they returned with a counter offer back that was fair and generous. The negotiations were not difficult and fairly conducted.

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

When I got called in for an interview the first thing they had me do was go to human resources and take a written exam. The exam consisted of about 150 questions, 75% maintenance questions and 25% math questions. The math questions were easy, I would say at about a ninth grade level. The maintenance portion was pretty broad. They had electrical, hydraulic, welding, and mechanical questions. They weren't necessarily easy but you only need a 50% to pass so it's not hard to make it to the face to face interview.
    The face-to-face interview was a panel style type interview. I sat at a big table with three of the supervisors. It seemed like they based most of the questions off of what I put on my resume so if your resume says that you have a certain skill or know a lot about a certain piece of equipment be prepared to answer technical questions about it.

Interview Questions

• They put a schematic of a motor controller in front of me and asked me to explain how it worked and identify certain symbols. They also asked me a couple basic troubleshooting questions.   Answer Question

MAP Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (New York, NY).

Interview

Got through two rounds of phone interviews. The second one I was told would be with hiring manager and engineering manager but ended up being with a manager and 5 people in the MAP program.

Interview Questions

• Have you taken a metallurgy course and what is your experience working with steel or metals?   1 Answer

Regional People Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to set up a phone screen. Company Recruiter phone screen a week later. Phone interview with HR Generalist. Panel Interview with HR Team. Hired within two weeks of last interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you believe is the best way to communicate bad news?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Wilton, IA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They offered to fly me to the location but could not find a flight. They paid for a rental car and all trip expenses, including road food. I stayed in a paid hotel room. I went to the site the next day and had a tour of the plant followed by several interviews. Very easy experience.

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America in September 2016.

Interview

Standard interview questions with HR on the telephone first. Second round was at their Petersburg, VA location. I applied online and I got an email back immediately the next day. HR was very nice to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you failed?
      Why do you want to work at Gerdau?
      Answer Question

Electrical Maintenance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vidor, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America (Vidor, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

My interview process began with a phone screening by the recruiter. Afterwards she asked if I would be interested in doing a phone interview with the hiring manager. I agreed and had a phone interview that week. I was then contacted by the recruiter once again and was invited to an on-site interview and tour.

I had a meeting with the HR Manager to start, followed by a tour of the backend of the facility. My tour guide was an intern still in college, but highly knowledgeable and very friendly. I then met with the RS Superintendent, and was asked several questions. He was a very nice guy and extremely easy to talk to during the time there. He seemed very passionate about Gerdau and the operations.

Afterwards, I met back up with the HR Manager and a few others on-site for lunch. We chatted about the tour for a bit. I then took off for a tour of the front end of the mill. Again, it was all pleasant and all the people I met were extremely friendly. After the tour I met with Hiring Manager and had a few questions. Definitely more intense questioning, but always friendly.

Once we finished I met with the HR Manager one last time. We discussed the experience and spoke awhile regarding my thoughts on the company. He asked if I were interested in the position and handed me a packet of information.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you did something unsafe. Would you do it again?   Answer Question

I declined the offer because we were unable to agree to terms surrounding many aspects of the offer. I will say there is no room for negotiations with the offer.

Gerdau Long Steel North America Response

Sep 14, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of your interview experience. I'm pleased that you seemed to have a positive experience and that our team was friendly and provided ... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America in March 2016.

Interview

Easy first interview over the phone. Second interview on site. First one with recruiter and second with company department manager. The second one much harder than first. Very good company overall.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gerdau Long Steel North America.

Interview

Standard Interview, we did a phone interview that corporate HR set up first, then I did a second phone interview with another person from corporate HR, then they aid for me to do an in person interview, then finally we did one last phone interview.