Gerson Lehrman Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 9, 2017

2.8

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

I was interviewing for the associate role within the research team. I met around eight people in total, each person gave a round of interview. This is possibly a bit more than a usual number of rounds because I interviewed with people in different cities. Most interviews last around 1-1.5 hour per round, the longest one is around 2.5-3 hour which includes a case study and presentation apart from the usual behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are a good fit for this role?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in March 2017.

Interview

The process was very long. Three or four rounds separated by a couple weeks each. It was very frustrating because I felt like I nailed all the interviews and then I ended up getting waitlisted for the position. Seems like they interview way too many people for this program and then end up waitlisting people if they apply on the later end even if they're qualified for the position. I wish GLG had been more candid about that because I spent a lot of time applying/preparing for the multiple rounds of interviews and case study challenge.

Interview Questions

• Sell me a fruit?
      What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
      What's the hardest thing you've ever gone through in your personal life?
      Why GLG?
      What does GLG do?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 4 rounds of video interviews including a case study followed by a "second final interview". Each interviewer was very nice and made for easy interviews, although there is a lack of communication between HR, recruiters, and management. After the conclusion of what I was told was my final interview, I received an email inviting me to start the interview process all over again from step one. After I contacted HR I was told it was a mistake, that same day I was contacted by another manager who wanted to speak with me later that week; no more than a day later I received an email saying that they had chosen to go with another candidate. I reached out to the manager about the email and he told me that it was a mistake and to ignore it. For the final phone interview, the interviewer was 20 minutes late to the conference call and once on the phone he was unprofessional, excessive cursing and talk of drinking in the office (not that it bothers me, just inappropriate for an interview). After 6 weeks of interviewing I was told that they would get back to me within the week with a decision, I was not even afforded the decency of an email stating that they went with another candidate.

Associate Interview

Interview

1st phone call lasted about an hour and focused on resume, behavioral, and a few problem solving questions. Next, the on site was 4 interviews over the course of 5 hours regarding similar points and also a case study. The team was really nice and accommodating. Trip was expensed which is great.

Interview Questions

• What is GLG's business model?

What is a challenge you've overcome? What would you do differently?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in May 2015.

Interview

This is probably the worst interview experience I ever had. They first sent you an email asking you to answer a list of questions:
    -Are you legally authorized to work in the US without regard to timing or duration?
    -What was (is) your cumulative GPA in University?
    -If extended an offer, would you be willing to relocate to Austin, TX?
    -What date would you be available to start?
    -How did you find out about this role?
    -What are your salary requirements?
    -What is your availability for a 15-30 minute pre-scheduled phone interview in the event that we decide to move forward (please clarify time zone of availability)?

So then I replied to the recruiter with my answers. Then she scheduled my phone interview for a day that I was not available in my email. After rescheduling, finally on the day of actually phone interview. Got a call 30 minutes earlier than what it was scheduled in my email. (Different interviewer too!) This whole process was very disorganized and the emails I have been getting from the recruiters seem like automated emails.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about GLG business model.
      How have you intellectually engaged in the past?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied via their website and got a call to discuss my cv within a few days. The same day I was invited for an initial phone interview for two days later. I spoke with three employees, from different levels within the organisation. Very friendly and they gave a lot of information and details about the role. Lasted around 1.5 hours in total. Make sure you study their business model carefully as it is quite unique. Everything is on the website; videos, information, make sure you click through every part. Was invited for in-person interview within an hour after the call! They really seem to value a quick turnaround time, which was very nice. This last interview was scheduled for two days later again and consisted of a case study plus again interviews with three, different people. This final stage lasted about 4 hours in total. Questions get slightly harder during the three interviews, where the last one was more unstructured and cross question to really get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Describe the GLG business model   Answer Question
    • What interests you in this particular role   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in the nearby future   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest challenge in this role and what would be the biggest challenge for you personally?   Answer Question

I felt very appreciated and welcome. Impressed that the whole process lasted exactly one week. But certain parts of the job didn't match with my personal goals at the moment.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in November 2014.

Interview

I originally applied online. Then I had a phone screen with an HR person, followed by another phone interview with the manager on the team I was applying for. Next came a case study. I had a few days to complete it. Based on how I did on the case study, I was given a final interview. Since time was short, they were not able to fly me in. So I completed a video interview. It was roughly 4 hours long. I interviewed with several different people I would be working with. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes. One interview was solely based around the case study. The whole process only took a few weeks, but I was not offered a job immediately.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

On campus interview, two thirty minute interviews. The interviews were very straight forward, though they seemed most interested in seeing if you understand exactly what they do. Both interviewers spent around half their time going over what an expert network is and different ways of thinking about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Met them at the career fair and was selected immediately for a very easy, typical phone screen with the recruiter. Was invited for a final round interview at the end of the call. Final round consisted of just one 30 minute on-site interview with the Research Manager, followed by a quick tour of the office. Questions were both behavioral and technical based, but it seemed as if the guy had already made up if mind before the interview even began. Also, while on the "tour" (it's literally an open floor office with a bunch of desks and computers--looks more like a calling center than a corporate branch) most of employees seemed pretty bummed to be there. Does not have very good culture, at least at the Austin location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

As I am writing this, there's still a chance that I may hear back from GLG but I highly doubt it. The advice I share is aimed particularly at those who think GLG is slightly outside their area of expertise or not exactly in line with your previous work experience.

I applied through their website as a cousin of mine had used GLG previously through his business and highly recommended them. I was a little anxious because I felt that a position in their Legal and Economic Regulatory Affairs department was a little outside my area of knowledge. I had previous legal experience at previous jobs but it was mostly coordinated projects with my company's legal department. However, I felt that at a company like GLG, as long as you demonstrate decent knowledge, the company would train you with the rest and it seemed like a job where you truly learn-by-doing.

Within a few days, I got an email that they were interested in a phone screening and we arranged it for the next couple days. This gave me a lot of time to really research the company, their business model, their clients, etc. However, i also knew it was just going to be a screening so I may not actually get the opportunity to demonstrate my research.

I couldn't have been more right. The guy on the other line was heavily focused on by education (of which I have a Master's) was in another field, and rather than ask me why I was interested in a change of experience, he just kept asking me questions about why I did my Master's in this particular subject, etc, etc. He never enabled me to say 'okay, i worked here, but this, this and this, would make me a good fit at GLG. It felt a little like an ambush to the point where I was constantly asking myself 'why did this guy even call me?'. In any case, the call went okay, but I just never got the chance to ask relevant questions regarding GLG nor show why I wanted to work there. Instead, I just had to explain over and over, my interest in politics, my Master's, one particular organization that I worked in. I wanted to tell the man 'Look, I know my CV is working against me here, but I still have 3-4 years of good work experience for a mix of public, private, international and voluntary organizations, and every one of those places, I came in, learnt the ropes, and left with a track record of success, of which my references provided will second'. But that would have come off sounding a little brash and in the end, I just became uninterested in a guy who sounded uninterested in me as a GLG prospect.

He eventually asked that I reach out to him on LinkedIn and that he would forward my information from the New York to the DC office (where I live). He then told me that I should hear something in the next 2-3 days, to which I have not yet. He did accept my connection request on LinkedIn, but I am sure that is as far as its going to go.

Interview Questions

• What first got you interested in Politics?   1 Answer