Gerson Lehrman Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 19, 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

There were steps: 2 phone calls, 1 case study review, 1 afternoon of in person meetings. Overall, it felt like they were looking for more of a culture fit than to see if my background or experience fit with the job role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Several case studies followed up by analysis and questions. Not difficult... just my first interview of the sort. Probably a good co to work for, but i wound up finding something better for me. For a good leg up, make you you review the "sample cases" that they post to their website

Interview Questions

• What I do regularly that I know is illegal   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

GLG posted an ad on my college's job board. I simply passed along my credentials and received an email response several days later. We set up a time and date where I spoke with the office manager who asked general questions you would expect in an interview followed by an associate to explain the role of the associate to me and then finally I spoke with a manager who asked some 'what would you do' type questions. Nothing to worry about.
    A few days later I was contacted for a second interview which they said would be case based. This is not your typical case it is actually a joke and it is just an exercise to see how well you can mimic their work on your own. You are given one hour to prepare based on the notes they provide you and then an hour later you are contacted by two managers on the phone who then question you based on your write up you submit to them. They ask you ridiculous questions to test your creativity and then based on your performance you are judged fit for the on site interview.
    The case interview is a mockery of case based interviews and in my opinion was one of the most unprofessional interviews I have ever been apart of. Having been to business school I have done a ton of cases and this one was simple in nature and quiet narrow minded for a company that prides itself on the acquisition of talented intelligent minds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

I was asked by a recruiter to apply online, and received a phone interview. In the interview, I was asked about my background and how I could contribute to GLG. In the end, I didn't feel that GLG was a good fit for me as I didn't think that the role of Associate fit into my career plan. Also, you must start in Austin, Texas and I did not feel like relocating.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in September 2009.

Interview

Applied online and recieved a phone call from the hiring manager. The interview was a straightforward run through of the resume. All in all, it was quite easy, the recruiter seemed personable. As with all interviews, be prepared to talk in detail about your resume, any prior research experience, and the usual behavorial questions (teamwork, conflict, etc). I recieved an email about a month later saying that I wouldn't be called to their office for another interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to attend your college, and why did you choose your specific major?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

I was offered a phone interview, asked situational questions and how each job requirement fits you and why. If phone interview goes well you are brought in for additional interviews and a case study.

Interview Questions

• If you could compare yourself to a superhero who would it be?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

Very brief interview process. Consisted of initial informational interview and was followed by 3 back-to-back 30 minute interviews a few days later. Nothing too difficult, mostly behavioral questions. Last interview really tests your desire to work there more than anything. Office culture really suggests a motivated environment and they want to be sure you'll fit in not only by personality and attitude, but by overall desire to make a difference in the company. No one in that office does the bare minimum required.

Interview Questions

• Last interview was most difficult, but still nothing to sweat over. After two rounds of basic behavioral interviews, switching over to the "why do you want to be here" questions required a quick change of thinking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was my first job out of college with no previous work experience in the field so I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer as it was.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

On campus interview, two thirty minute interviews. The interviews were very straight forward, though they seemed most interested in seeing if you understand exactly what they do. Both interviewers spent around half their time going over what an expert network is and different ways of thinking about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

As I am writing this, there's still a chance that I may hear back from GLG but I highly doubt it. The advice I share is aimed particularly at those who think GLG is slightly outside their area of expertise or not exactly in line with your previous work experience.

I applied through their website as a cousin of mine had used GLG previously through his business and highly recommended them. I was a little anxious because I felt that a position in their Legal and Economic Regulatory Affairs department was a little outside my area of knowledge. I had previous legal experience at previous jobs but it was mostly coordinated projects with my company's legal department. However, I felt that at a company like GLG, as long as you demonstrate decent knowledge, the company would train you with the rest and it seemed like a job where you truly learn-by-doing.

Within a few days, I got an email that they were interested in a phone screening and we arranged it for the next couple days. This gave me a lot of time to really research the company, their business model, their clients, etc. However, i also knew it was just going to be a screening so I may not actually get the opportunity to demonstrate my research.

I couldn't have been more right. The guy on the other line was heavily focused on by education (of which I have a Master's) was in another field, and rather than ask me why I was interested in a change of experience, he just kept asking me questions about why I did my Master's in this particular subject, etc, etc. He never enabled me to say 'okay, i worked here, but this, this and this, would make me a good fit at GLG. It felt a little like an ambush to the point where I was constantly asking myself 'why did this guy even call me?'. In any case, the call went okay, but I just never got the chance to ask relevant questions regarding GLG nor show why I wanted to work there. Instead, I just had to explain over and over, my interest in politics, my Master's, one particular organization that I worked in. I wanted to tell the man 'Look, I know my CV is working against me here, but I still have 3-4 years of good work experience for a mix of public, private, international and voluntary organizations, and every one of those places, I came in, learnt the ropes, and left with a track record of success, of which my references provided will second'. But that would have come off sounding a little brash and in the end, I just became uninterested in a guy who sounded uninterested in me as a GLG prospect.

He eventually asked that I reach out to him on LinkedIn and that he would forward my information from the New York to the DC office (where I live). He then told me that I should hear something in the next 2-3 days, to which I have not yet. He did accept my connection request on LinkedIn, but I am sure that is as far as its going to go.

Interview Questions

• What first got you interested in Politics?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Interview

1st phone call lasted about an hour and focused on resume, behavioral, and a few problem solving questions. Next, the on site was 4 interviews over the course of 5 hours regarding similar points and also a case study. The team was really nice and accommodating. Trip was expensed which is great.

Interview Questions

• What is GLG's business model?

What is a challenge you've overcome? What would you do differently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Met them at the career fair and was selected immediately for a very easy, typical phone screen with the recruiter. Was invited for a final round interview at the end of the call. Final round consisted of just one 30 minute on-site interview with the Research Manager, followed by a quick tour of the office. Questions were both behavioral and technical based, but it seemed as if the guy had already made up if mind before the interview even began. Also, while on the "tour" (it's literally an open floor office with a bunch of desks and computers--looks more like a calling center than a corporate branch) most of employees seemed pretty bummed to be there. Does not have very good culture, at least at the Austin location.