Gerson Lehrman Group Senior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gerson Lehrman Group Senior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2016

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Baltimore, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

On campus interview with two different people for 20 minutes each. I was then invited for a second state, then phone interview for 30 minutes with a current associate.

Interview Questions

• What is GLG's business model? Why do you want to work for GLG? How do you manage time?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gerson Lehrman Group

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Long and involved interview process. For it to be worth it, you'll need to put your best into every stage of the interview. First is 2 back to back phone interviews with senior associates. Next is a case study (which takes like 6-10 hours to do well). Then, a phone call with a research manager to explain your answers to the case study. Finally, an in-person interview. For the in person interview, you really need to know the role and the company's mission/service divisions well. I practiced a lot for the interview by looking up STAR interview questions, and that served me well.

Interview Questions

• (First question the last interviewer asked me:) What do you know about me?...good thing I had looked him up on LinkedIn prior to the interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX).

Interview

Basically what everyone said below me is true. It is an extremely lengthy process that for me took over 6 weeks, and ended without a job. I did the two 30-minute interviews with someone in their office in New York and in Austin, I then did the case study (finished it early), talked with a manager for 30 minutes about the case study, and then went to their office here in Austin for a 3 hours worth of interviews. All the managers seemed to really like me, and the last one I interviewed with said I would know by the end of that week if I got an offer. I interviewed on Wednesday so I should've heard back by that Friday, and next thing I know it's a week later and I still don't hear anything back. I write a follow up e-mail to the HR department to see what is up, and still nobody contacts me or responds (incredibly frustrating). Finally, over a week and a half later from when I was supposed to know whether or not I received an offer, I got a vague email saying my qualifications didn't meet the needs of the position?? If they weren't met in the first place, don't waste my time for 6 weeks for interviews that would lead nowhere.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in March 2016.

Interview

Overall, really great process. Started with 2 back-to-back phone screenings, both with research managers in the division I applied to. I heard back a few days later saying that I was invited to participate in a 'case study' for the position. I received an email with a case, looking at assessing the proper players (experts) to help a client understand a new research area.

The case required writing down possible questions for the client, the groups of stakeholders that should be considered when recruiting experts to help this client, and then I was asked to research actual people who would be good choices to match this client with, to provide rationale, and then to provide any contact information available online. The case also asks for a sample email for executive recruitment. I had 3 days to complete the case and email it back.

Shortly after, I received an email to schedule a call with a senior manager to review my case, and this interview required more analytic thinking, with probable scenarios given to see how I would react to changes in the case structure and find new solutions. A few days after this interview, I was invited to come to Austin for in-person interviews. I flew down to Texas (GLG provided airfare and taxi reimbursement) and had a 4 hour day of interviewing with multiple managers and higher-level members of the team, including a lovely lunch interview. Less than a week later, I received an offer. Really great process.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university career center website. Made it to the first stage: 2 back-to-back on campus interviews. Both of the interviewers were incredibly nice and seemed genuinely interested in my background. A few days later I received an email saying I was moving on the 2nd phase: Case Study. The case study was really interesting, I would recommend spending a lot of time on this. It came with limited instructions, but they're not looking for perfection, just thought process and effort. A few days later I received a call to review my case study. Know your answers well and your reasoning behind each and you'll be fine! A few days after that call I received another email saying I was invited to go to Austin for on-site interviews. The day started with a lunch with two younger associates. They were great and really helpful in preparing me for the next interviews. Then I had three 30 minute interviews with upper management associates. Mostly behavioral questions. They all wanted to know what I knew about GLG up to that point, so STUDY their website! I came to all my interviews incredibly prepared with notes, questions, and extra resumes. Since this is a job where you'll be interacting a lot with clients, showing that you're organized and prepared will really help! I left the interview feeling great and a few days later received a phone call offering me a position and I accepted. The process is long and the case study makes it feel a little more difficult, but I feel that it's definitely worth it!

Interview Questions

• What is the GLG business model? Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group in October 2015.

Interview

I've never had a ruder interviewer in my life. I made it to the next round but withdrew my application simply because I felt so put off by my interview. My interviewer openly mocked me the whole time--perhaps to throw me off my game? But he would smile and laugh at my answers derisively before I even had the chance to finish them.

One thing the other reviews here don't mention is that there is a simple case study that was in the interview (mine at least). It was fairly easy, considering I guess I "passed" despite coming completely unprepared. The question had to do with what experts you might suggest if launching new headset technology in Malaysia.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume/information online. Asked questions regarding salary/relocation ability/schedule availability for interview/college GPA. Received email for interview shortly thereafter. Said I would interview with two people, I assumed it meant one interview. It actually meant two 30-min interviews. Had my first interview, basic "why do you want to work here" questions; second interview was more about me questions (i.e. past few books I've read, favorite college course, what I'd take to a desert island, etc.).

Interview Questions

• What three things would you take to a desert island?
      What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Took 3 months and interviews with 11 people. First had two phone interviews with current Senior Associates. Very relaxed and friendly interviewers. After the first round, they sent a case to prepare and then set up another interview to review it. The case is straight forward and reflects the work that GLG does. After that interview, I was invited to interview in the Austin office. This took 3 hours. I had lunch with two Senior Associates and then 4 interviews with Managers and VPs. They pair you with different personalities to see how you communicate with different styles. It took them over a month to get back to me after my in-office interview. Then, they asked me to interview over the phone with a manager. No explanation. After a 20 minute phone call, very straight forward, just like all of the others, I received a 3 sentence long email telling me they were pursuing other candidates. Like I said, after 3 months and 11 interviews. It was incredibly rude and disappointing because I did enjoy the people there.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group.

Interview

I was referred through a current employee. I didn't have an initial phone screen. I had one phone interview with a current Senior Associate. They seemed to be looking for if you were able to talk and if you had experience and were comfortable reaching out to people you don't know. Immediately after that, I was emailed with a case to review with 3 days that I received on a Friday morning. After completing the fairly straightforward case, I had a phone review with a research manager. The research manager is looking for you to have looked outside the box and told me what he has impressed where I, and others, have thought to include. After that I was invited for an on-site interview, but I declined because of another offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gerson Lehrman Group (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

First couple of rounds were behavioral phone calls. Third phone interview was a small written case. Was invited to Austin for final round interview. Consisted of an hour lunch that was very casual, followed by four half hour interviews that were all behavioral questions. Nothing too difficult but they want to see if you understand the company and will be a good fit.