Gibson Dunn & Crutcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gibson Dunn & Crutcher Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2017

2.3

Legal Secretary Interview

Interview

The office is beautiful in a beautiful building and excellent location. Very quiet inside the office. The Initial communication was very pleasant followed by very long testing. No communication following testing.

Billing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher.

Interview

Went through several rounds of interviews with different members of the team. I liked everyone that I met. The only downside of the interview process was that I didn't know when the next person was coming in. Sometimes I waited 15 minutes. Others, I waited up to 45.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (New York, NY).

Interview

GD's #1 concern is your GPA and class rank. I'm not kidding. I guess it is their "CYA" policy ("Gee, we only hire valedictorians and summas, how could it be *our* fault we tanked?")

Lots of "happy, happy, joy, joy" comes from the attorneys mustered to interview you, but you don't hear much of that after you are hired.

There will be callbacks. They want people who can do just about anything because apart from the hole they are trying to fill with you, they have no idea what they are going to do with you in the long run.

The callbacks will concern what kind of work you want to do--GD NY will have LOADS of this work. You will be relieved and excited and accept their offer. You will never do the work you expressed a desire to do. Yes, they have the work--that wasn't a lie. Just "sharp practice." Because that work is fully staffed, maybe a Balkanized boutique GD bought, and there is no room for you.

Interview Questions

• What was you law school class rank?   3 Answers

Negotiation

Straightforward. I got what I wanted, but only wanted what was fair.

Legal Secretary Interview

Interview

First interview was with the secretarial manager, including a timed computer test. The second interview consisted of a 30 min interview with each attorney of potential share group in one sitting.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Washington, DC).

Interview

Knowledge of my skills, the experience I had dealt with from customer service to meeting deadlines, and the admin was able to view my recommendations showing I am willing to go above and beyond.

Interview Questions

• Question that I was asked was, How do I deal with Attorneys that may not work under stress as well as others?   1 Answer

Billing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Emailed my resume and cover letter and heard back a few days later from HR person. For some odd reason they make you fill out their employment application to turn in on the interview date. 1st step, I I had to take an MS Excel test on a computer and then met with 2 people. They just talked about how difficult it is to work with the attorneys there. Not the brightest of individuals. They seem to have an extremely high turnover rate for this job. They always post an opening for this job every few weeks. I wonder why.

Interview Questions

• They didn't really ask questions. Just fearmongering comments about how much I'll dread coming to work because the attorneys are horrible.   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager was very pleasant and friendly. It was a very basic run through of the resume. However, I don't believe this interview style reveals much about the candidates beyond what is already written on paper.

Interview Questions

• What was the main responsibility of your most recent position?   Answer Question

Accounting Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was scheduled for a series of interviews through an agency. The first two interviews as well as the testing went very well. I was called back for a third interview with a higher up. I knew from the air of arrogance this higher up posessed when he walked into the room that even if offered a position, I could never be happy in my job working under him. I told the recruiting office if they made an offer, that I could not accept it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by the higher up in accounting - Do you ever make mistakes?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Irvine, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

90% law school grades. 10% whether you can wine/dine like a normal human being.

To do well in OCI, just be curious about the firm, biglaw work in general, and about exploring corp v. lit.

During the summer, just make sure you do your work on time and really spend time polishing your work-product. Nobody cares about quantity, so long as you're averaging about one project every 1-1.5 weeks. Just make sure your quality is decent. That, and don't get blackout drunk at events.

Interview Questions

• What department are you interested in?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview for the summer associate position through my law school's on campus interview was done with two people: one mid-level associate and one partner. After OCI's, some (but not all who received callbacks) received invitation to a dinner event that happened later on the day of the interview. The callback interview was a full-day event. 4 interviews in the morning (1 first year associate & 3 partners), lunch with 2 associates & a partner, break in the afternoon, dinner event with 3 associates. The interview questions are pretty standard: walk through the resume, talk about 1L summer job experience, any hobbies, previous job experience. Everyone is very very nice to you, although some are more serious, others more jovial/conversational. I heard the firm makes some offers starting on the dinner so the decision turnaround is extremely fast.

Interview Questions

• Seriously all standard questions you can find. No unexpected questions for me at least.   1 Answer