Want a Free Job Posting?

Interview Question

Interview Palo Alto, CA

Given a series of strings, find the biggest common prefix.

string logic

Interview Answer

3 Answers

/** * Jun Zheng, Rice Univ * Given a series of strings, find the biggest common prefix. * Real question of VMware * Java7; running time: O(n^2) * @param str * @return */ private String biggestPrefix(String[] strs){ String prefix=strs[0]; for(int i=1;i<strs.length && prefix.length()>0;i++){ int j; for(j=0;j<strs[i].length() && j<prefix.length();j++){ if(prefix.charAt(j)==strs[i].charAt(j)) continue; else break; } //String.substring sucks! prefix=strs[i].substring(0, j); } return (prefix.length()>0)? prefix:"No such prefix!"; }

Jun Zheng on Feb 20, 2013

How that works? You are considering "prefix" must come from the very first string, which is not true. In the following string set, the biggest common prefix is "xyzasd" - which this program fails to find! String[] arr = {"MxyzasdNmm", "kxyzasdDodal", "I am a Good Boy", "JadxyznasdM Golmal", "ABCDEF", "ABCDEFGH", "Sunnyvale", "CaliforniaKxyzaszzMon"};

Java User on Feb 20, 2013

What? Prefix is not started from the very first string? Jesus I cannot read Eng!

Jun Zheng on Feb 21, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.